What's new

Derek's Dueling Coaster Comp

reddude333

Giga Poster
DuelingComp.png

It seems we haven't had a new comp in a while and seeing as I have participated in a fair amount of them myself I decided to try hosting one. This is a challenge I have been hoping someone else would make into a contest but I decided it would be interesting to see what you all can come up with. The goal is to create a dueling coaster, meaning there must be extensive interaction between two separate coasters. I am not going to set too many restrictions, but the more interaction the better. There are no restrictions on coaster type and all CS and CTRs are permitted.

Depending on turnout for this one, I may do a multi-part one like Mouse just finished up, but this one will be stand-alone.

I would love to get some sort of head count to see who all is interested but I will still set a temporary due date.

Entries to be posted by: March 3, 2012

P.S.: My real name is Derek so if you would like to call me that instead of reddude333, feel free to.

[Edit]: As stated further below, an additional requirement is that a portion of your coaster(s) must be either indoors (not just the station) or have some elements of a terrain coaster.

mouse

Giga Poster
Ooh, this sounds like fun. Don't think I've ever made a duelling coaster before.
Will the people with CS have more chance of winning than us without?

reddude333

Giga Poster
^I think the best way to answer that is this. Looking at the results of the final round of your competition it is fairly clear that people can use in-game scenery to make beautiful and realistic settings. However, people should recognize the limitations of in-game scenery.

The reason I'm allowing CS is just to add some variety into the mix. However, I suggest you try using some CS. I know you enjoy being a purist but adding some for that extra flair shows that you put in some extra effort. That being said, I will not think any less of work that doesn't utilize CS. I will however think less of something that lacks scenery.

Colossus

Giga Poster
I had a really sweet Dueling coaster, that got deleted many moons ago, unfortunately with no pictures or video, Oh well. I love the idea for a dueling coaster, and I also have half an idea for a really good design, so on that basis, count me in.

Edit, My professional name is Nick, you guys can call me that as opposed to Colossus or CP10.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I'm definitely giving this a go. It'll most probably be rubbish compared to some of my other coasters though.

Can it be moebius or does it have to be 2 seperate coasters?

reddude333

Giga Poster
Möbius is fine. If you can do it, more power to you. And don't degrade your design before you even start. I know you can put out a something good if you put some solid effort into it.

Glad to see I've got a few takers already :)

reddude333

Giga Poster
Alright, awesome, we've got five contestants so far (if CoasterCrazy joins). I'm really looking forward to this. If anyone has any more questions feel free to ask.

In fact, before all of you get too into this I'm gonna add a requirement (just for kicks). You coaster(s) must contain either an indoor section (not just the station) or section that would be considered a terrain coaster. No free-standing coasters!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Presenting... Demons and Angels

This is 2 dueling Dive Machines with one themed quite Angelicly and the other Demony. They are pretty much mirror images of each other and have a top speed of 52.43mph.

Ratings (apply to both coasters)

Exitement: High
Intensity: Medium
Nausea: Low

Pictures

Red and Black= Demon
White and Gold= Angel

General Views
Shot0131.jpg

Shot0132.jpg

Shot0133.jpg

Views from nearby hills.
Shot0134.jpg

Shot0135.jpg

Shot0136.jpg

View from above.
Shot0137.jpg

Best view I could find of inside Angel's Building. It is just a bit of downhill, upwards helix and more downhill to exit. Picture taken from above exit.
Shot0138.jpg

POV's!

Demon:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86TnlC2jFOo[/youtube]

Angel:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJlgLs1nQ-w[/youtube]

reddude333

Giga Poster
^Alright, I totally understand if you don't want to...

^^Wow, probably one of your best entries I've seen yet. Looking forward to seeing the POVs (if possible, can everyone else try to post your entire entry (POVs and pics) together? It's easier to keep them organized)

Colossus

Giga Poster
Well, its taken 3 hours!! But I have finally completed the layout, what a ballache, but well worth it. Now the really hard work begins, theming these is going to be a very long process indeed.

reddude333

Giga Poster
Awesome! Definitely excited to see what you have in store...being my greatest rival in all competitions we both enter :p I'm glad to hear you will be working hard on the theming...can't wait...but I will have to haha

Btw King, your pic links are broken...something happen with your Photobucket account?

reddude333

Giga Poster
I use both JCat's Steelworx and Moby's Steel Jungle although I suggest Moby for more precise support work. JCat is good for custom support beginners. Also I use Aged Footers but can't recall from where. I will post links if I get the time but for now I gotta run. Hope this helps!

Colossus

Giga Poster
^^ Right here`s Jcats steelworks, as Derek said, this is a real great set for beginners, it contains lots of pre-set pieces that are easy to use and look real nice. http://rctgo.net/downloads/view/2848

This is Moby`s Steel Jungle, this is more complicated as you basically have to create the supports from scratch, this is time consuming and does have an element of trail and error. But its rewarding when done right. http://rctdb.com/custom-scenery/mobys-steel-jungle-v2/

Colossus

Giga Poster
Yeah sure unzip the folder where it is then move the folders that come out (apart from any "read me") into Computer / C Drive / Program Files / Atari / RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 / Style / Themed.

reddude333

Giga Poster
^Yep, and then they will show up in the Scenery tab in the game under generic walls.

Btw, just thought I'd let all of you know about a new thread I just made. It's for the little trick you may know that I have used in the past with the scenery. I created a step by step demo of it as was requested by a fellow CFer. If you could implement this into your entry, that would be cool but it's totally up to you. Here's the link:

http://www.coasterforce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33208