What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

reddude333

Giga Poster
I didn't mean that there was anything mystical or even necessarily significant about it, only that it wasn't arbitrary. Sure the reason might just be to create some variation between each coaster but it's not like it was a fluke...not that any of us on here would think that ;-)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
For a better side to side comparison over the dive drop, here are the coasters:

GateKeeper
DSC_7597.jpg

Swarm
theswarm-thorpepark.jpg

X-Flight
x-flight-TxsS.jpg

I think a reason why Swarm appears to fully invert at the top is because the track rolls to the left, and exits to the right. X-Flight appears to invert less because it rolls to the right and exits to the right, cause there to be a smaller degree of rotation covered. GateKeeper rolls to the right and exits left, which is closer to Swarm.

At the end of the day you are splitting hairs - all of these are still dive drops that are inverting.

coaster_rider93

Mega Poster
^It also could have to do with what side of the coaster you are viewing...using the pictures above as a reference...Swarm looks like it inverts more because it rotates away from the viewer, unlike X-Flight and Gatekeeper. I think not being able to see the rails plays a heavier optical illusion, than when the rails are more visible.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Sorry to go off-topic for this specific coaster.
But why is it that only Wing-riders have this element? When for over a decade, players of Roller Coaster Tycoon franchise have been mucking around with that element with other Coaster types.

On topic: I was initially sceptical with the 'impressiveness' of the coaster. But now I utterly take back my initial pessimisms. It looks friccing amazing.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
X-Flight is the odd one out with the dive drops as it twists the same way it the drop is angled.

The Swarm and Gatekeeper do more twisting as the drop angles the other way, if that makes sense. I have no idea which way is more fun though! But The Swarm's caught me by surprise by how crazy it felt I'm dying to go on this one!

why is it that only Wing-riders have this element? When for over a decade, players of Roller Coaster Tycoon franchise have been mucking around with that element with other Coaster types.

I think it may have something to do with the articulation of the trains. You may have noticed that on wing coasters the seat rows are a lot further apart, and also the heart-line is a lot closer to the track, this may allow tighter transitions. I'm not entirely sure but it could be a reason.

Also it's a perfect element to emphasise how exposed you are! as you hang upside down with nothing around you.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Another reson could be that Swarm was the first dive drop, so B&M used it to discover a better way of doing it?

Anyway, I think that the only reason why wing coasters have dive drop and others don't is, because of the same benefits of a heartline roll. Swarm, X-Flight and the one in China all have inline twists. So, the movement of being in a wing train going through the twist is almost like a mini-drop. Whethers, other coaster got heartline rolls, because having your head force downwards at a very high speed would apparently cause people to faint.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm only judging this on the shape of the trains like bob_3_ said and the shape of the twist. :)

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ If you've ridden one of these Wing coasters you'd know that the in-lines don't feel like "mini drops" at all ;)

elephant58

Hyper Poster
^Oh I know that it probably doesn't feel like one, but the forces would act on your body, as if you were going through a small drop :)

sparky2u

Mega Poster
I've only been on "Swarm" & find it a very enjoyable & re-rideable coaster, it's one of my fav's as not too forcefull & has the perfect speed to enjoy the inversions, the inverted 1st drop is the best way to start a Wingcoaster coaster as it gives u a rush before you drop, the only downthing for "Swarm" is it's too short & could have more theming build around the helicopter turnaround & next to the brake-run / back to the station.

Gatekeeper is the most stunning of this type of coaster though, amazing 1st drop / inversion & 2nd inversion combo with the 2 keyholes. What a view the riders get at the top of the lifthill. :--D :--D

Can't wait to see if B&M install one with a "Cobra Roll" / "double heartlines" or push it further a "Pretzel Loop" on this type.

catuh0nk00622ll3toiom1_zpsa26a6cb3.jpg

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Cedar Point | "Gatekeeper" | B&M Wingrider

Seeing as how the pretzel loop are only done on Flyers, Gatekeepers beginning will most likely be the closest you get to it, bar then doing a norwegian loop of some fashion.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ The first two inversions of GateKeeper essentially form a pretzel loop.

DSC_7597.jpg

elephant58

Hyper Poster
I suppose, but pretzel loops are entered at high speed and you start the right way up and 'fall' upside-down, or would that not matter?

BBH

Giga Poster
Nobody ever said it was a pretzel loop entirely, it just looks like a pretzel loop, which I can see.

kadabrium

Roller Poster
By definition, a dive loop followed by a parallel immelmann is a Norwegian loop.
A pretzel loop is a downward raven turn followed by a parallel upward raven turn.
Since raven turns and immelmann/dive loops only differ by the twist on the top, their linear profile is of course similar.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, definitely closest to a Norwegian loop and as such, is going to be **** amazing!

Lottie.

Mega Poster
This ride is going to be amazing! I love wingriders so will definitely try to get myself to Cedar Point soon (possibly next year!) :)

D1993

Hyper Poster
can we all imagine going through a pretzel loop on a wing coaster?
or even any coaster that isnt a flyer?
It would be kind of vile.