What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

bob_3_

Giga Poster
scw55 said:
It does feel like Wingriders have replaced B&M's other inverting sit-down models.
Are any B&M inverting sit-down coasters which aren't wingriders being built this year and the next?

B&M don't decide the trends. If a park wants an inverted coaster, B&M will make it! But at the moment wing coasters are something new and interesting, therefore are their most popular product.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
elephant58 said:
^The only 2 B&Ms being built 2013/14 are both wing coasters.
Actually there might be another in 2014, as Heide Park are rumored to be getting one then.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
There's never been a planned B&M invert for Grona Lund this year. :roll:

Back on topic.
75220_405691396181391_2076359981_n.jpg

From Gatekeeper's facebook page.

reddude333

Giga Poster
@D1993: I admit my statement was too broad. Perhaps I should have qualified it by saying that B&M sit-down models, such as hypers and wing coasters, tend to be less forceful than similar models by other manufacturers.

And not to digress too far off-topic but the amount of flyers built in the last half a dozen years is appalling to me. Such a unique coaster type that I feel has been neglected as of late. Regardless, wing coasters are trending right now so I'm not surprised that most recent investments in B&M coasters have been wing coasters. I'm enjoying the more innovative layouts that are coming out now.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, I never saw the official announcement. I only heard rumors, which doesn't mean that the park actually planned to open one this year.

AquaTrax

Mega Poster
Back on topic.

GateKeeper's keyholes are arriving at Cedar Point TODAY! :D Now B&M can start slowly moving up forward with that keyhole element (inline roll, correct me if i'm wrong) today. I'm VERY excited, but unfortunatly I can't ride it until a few years. :(

OFF TOPIC INFORMATION (GRONA LUND'S B&M INVERT)

There where rumors and it's supposed to be a little bit shorter version of Pyrenees as it looks in the picture.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
This is the lower half of the keyhole towers, with the upper half expected to arrive some point next week.

This also answers the question of how the track will be supported - the towers themselves are metal supports. I made the mistake of believing the entire tower structure would be concrete.

reddude333

Giga Poster
I think concrete towers would have looked more impressive and probably would have withstood the test of time better but I'm not complaining haha. Hope to see some progress pics of the keyhole towers and zero-g roll.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ If steel can't stand the test of time, then that means the tower will last longer than the roller coaster. :razz:

reddude333

Giga Poster
I meant aesthetically speaking. The steel can be repainted of course but that hardly seems to be the case much of the time.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Sorry, I never saw the official announcement. I only heard rumors, which doesn't mean that the park actually planned to open one this year.

Yeah, and all the guy originally mentioned was the "rumours": And there are rumours that the B&M inverted in Grona Lund planned for 2013 will open next year.

So there was no need to be so cocky towards him, really.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
He didn't say that there were rumors that Grona Lund planned for a B&M invert to open in 2013. ignace stated that Grona Lund planned for a B&M invert to open in 2013 & that there are rumors that it will open next year.
I simply replied that Grona Lund didn't plan for a B&M invert to open in 2013 since I thought nothing was announced by the park nor could I find anything from the park when I did a web search. Then Ethan posted the coaster rendering, so I assumed there was one & I stated that I simply never saw the official announcement.
I wasn't trying to be cocky & sorry that it came across that way, but I think you are reading into it the wrong way.

Back on topic:
The webcams have been turned off since Tuesday. Guess they don't want anyone watching the keyhole tower erections. :wink:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^They still say Tue Jan 22 2013 12 25 14 PM & Tue Jan 22 2013 12 18 13 PM. They have bright sunny images (at this time of the evening) instead of dark cloudy ones the other two (live) web cams have.