What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Inversion goonery. :lol:

If it's like any of the other wingriders, it won't be super intense, but it will still be a great ride.

rcjp

Roller Poster
Looks really great. I just hope that it is more intense than the other wingriders. I would like to see B&M building coasters now like they did before: innovative, intense and exiting.

Taxi

Mega Poster
^More intense, yeah, it "seems" to have that. Just keep in mind that B&M wing coasters are NOT meant to be intense like the older B&M models.

Nick P

Mega Poster
I wouldn't think these models could handle the forces anyways. The trains seem quite heavy, compared to other models and probably couldn't take the strain of intense forces.

Taxi

Mega Poster
Very true. The train is "winged" designed. You cant exactly throw the train through a 5G barrel roll and expect it not to fall apart. Maybe with a inverted train, or really any other type of train, since the all the forces are dealt with directly above the track. In the case of the wing coasters, the forces are more spread out, and so are the forces.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
The wing-coaster trains can handle high positive G forces, however they can't do fast rotation as that would cause extreme lateral forces, which are not what B&M like!

This means it looks like it goes through inversions slowly, but that's just because it's a slow rotation, the trains actually going pretty fast. The Swarm claims to pull +4.5Gs!

kadabrium

Roller Poster
Well, B&M wing trains are neither as heavy nor as delicate in structure as X2's old trains (or even the new ones as well).
As that did withstand >4.5G at the first drop, there is no reason to believe B&M's can't.
Dive machines are probably another example.

However I agree that it must rotate slowly to avoid excessive lateral forces. The 0g roll is able to be stretched through two keyholes some 15m apart, which means the whole rotation would be around 30m; Other coaster styles only have a tiny twist for such a roll.

Also, 5G barrel roll? derp.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Keyhole towers leaving the factory & Cedar Point bound.

65275_10151212264041463_1122515303_n.jpg

From CP's facebook page.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Wow, they look like supports too - if only somebody had spotted that before ;)

Ethan

Strata Poster
I thought they were going to be concrete, but obviously not. Some of us were right about them being supports though, not that everyone believed that ;)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
ECG said:
...and concrete was poured for the keyhole tower foundations.

Gatekeepercam20_zpse43d1153.jpg
It's only the foundations, which the towers will be secured to, that are concrete.

Taxi

Mega Poster
Ethan said:
I thought they were going to be concrete, but obviously not. Some of us were right about them being supports though, not that everyone believed that ;)

They were shown to be supports since it was announced. Of course people think their ideas are what's fact, not what the park tells them... :roll:

rcjp

Roller Poster
Taxi said:
^More intense, yeah, it "seems" to have that. Just keep in mind that B&M wing coasters are NOT meant to be intense like the older B&M models.

I don't see why they are not meant to be intense. Maybe because parks don't want such rides anymore but i believe B&M would be capable of building an intense wing coaster as they are such great engineers, it would certainly be possible. And it´s not just the wingriders that are less intense than older B&M's but also most of the coasters that they have been building lately. At least from what I've read and ridden that's the impression get. Still, i do really like them and their coasters and they are still my favorite manufacturer.

Nick P

Mega Poster
Taxi said:
Ethan said:

They were shown to be supports since it was announced. Of course people think their ideas are what's fact, not what the park tells them... :roll:

I was just uncertain when I asked the question. It could of been either way at the time since we didn't have enough evidence showing the keyholes acted as the support structure. Now I'm certainly convinced...

reddude333

Giga Poster
^^B&Ms just tend to be more graceful and considerably less forceful than similar coasters from other manufacturers. That is not to say they are less enjoyable or even less intense necessarily. What makes a ride "intense" isn't just forces, it can also be the overall proportions of the coaster or the location or near-miss elements (such as the keyholes) etc. It's hard to tell at this point if Gatekeeper will be intense but I think it's fair to say it will pack a bigger punch than the other Wing Coasters to date.

D1993

Hyper Poster
While yes, wing riders are not exactly forceful, you cannot make that generalization about B&M's in general.
And just for the record I am not saying this to anyone in particular, but just in general.
B&M have ceated some of the most forceful rides in existence. I am sure I do not need to go on about Nemesis and the numerous amount of forceful inverted coasters (Montu, Talon, Aterburn).
Let's also not forget Nitro's and Goliath's helix's ... both very forceful.

Point is, B&M have plenty of forceful coasters and I don't think that was the point with the wing riders.
They were made with a very specific purpose and I think they do the job perfectly.
My only complaint is the restraints. I got massively auto stapled on Wild Eagle.
I hope people don't expect gatekeeper to be forceful, though, cos it really wont be. Its not what the wing riders are designed to be.

scw55

Hyper Poster
It does feel like Wingriders have replaced B&M's other inverting sit-down models.
Are any B&M inverting sit-down coasters which aren't wingriders being built this year and the next?