SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
A big sheet of tarpaulin and a bit of frame work is:

a. Less disruptive
b. Just as effective
c. Less hazardous
d. not illegal
e. Probably cheaper (insurance does not cover every cost and will only pay for the rebuild work - so Alton make nothing from this)

Of course, they could have easily taken the more dangerous, illegal and costly root - and you're allowed your opinion on the management at Alton Towers that they're criminals and commercially suicidal - however, don't expect other people to take it easy on you if you have that opinion.

Dave

CF Legend
But why are you silly people saying they burnt it down to keep it secret? You can see the whole site from Rita! Logical way of doing it is just close the whole area :?.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Like I said, originally it was reported as a SMALL fire.

The park could have created at PR spin (aka: lied) to say that the skyride was out of service due to this.

However, the MASSIVE devastation makes it obvious (IMO) that this was not intentional in any way.

I think it's a shame, as there aren't all that many of these skyrides left, so I hope that the park can restore it.

Is VonRoll even still in business?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Screaming Coasters said:
2 fires, same attraction, less than a year... It is very odd, not saying anything by it, but it is odd.

It's unfortunate, but what has been gained from it?

Everything is exactly the same only a new roof on the FV station and now a new station will need to be built in CCL.

If Alton wanted a new roof, they would have just put one up. A few thousand quid is nothing if the work is desperate, certainly not worth setting a fire which could kill.

Likewise, a new station in CCL... If they wanted a retheme, then they'd have spent a few grand doing it... but they painted it recently and the insurance won't cover the cost of doing that work.

So much risk for absolutely no gain - only costs.

Of course, I'd hope that they up their game in terms of electrical testing across the park on all their appliances!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Screaming Coasters said:
And all the gondolas were conveniently stored in Towers street.

And if they weren't, then insurance would have paid out for them and they'd have arrived at the same time the Skyride re-opened.

I still don't see what Alton would have gained from this fire? Please, somebody tell me in real terms where the benefits are of this fire?

A

Anonymous

There doesn't seem to be any real benefits from the fire only negatives.

Unless people are still going to carry the can for the silly thoughts like. To keep the new coaster site secret or They wanted a better station plus a re theme.

spicy

Giga Poster
Seriously, can all this silly talk about Alton starting the fire themselves stop yet?

I thought there was some level of intelligence on this site and only Furie seems to be speaking any!

A

Anonymous

At least Alton have only had 2 fires compared to BPB's many.

The fire was a freak occurrence that can happen at anytime anywhere. Yes they have the chance to build a better station if they choose to but that's just 1 plus out of the many negatives. It is more an inconvenience to the park and the guests. This could turn into a bigger problem for the park as there could be a small dampening in the guests through the gates.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
spicy said:
Seriously, can all this silly talk about Alton starting the fire themselves stop yet?

I thought there was some level of intelligence on this site and only Furie seems to be speaking any!

Hey!

I wasn't even remotely suggesting that the park started the fire.

I was just trying to rationalize how some might have reached that conclusion.

Actually, at first I thought that the fire was faked, until I saw the pictures.

Horrible shame, just glad no one was hurt.