What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

DelPiero

Strata Poster
The effects look really great, as they should when this project cost more than Outlaw Run and Mystic Timbers, and almost as much as a 1.2km long Mack multi-launch. I almost wish Merlin's issues could be put down to lack of funds but their investment decisions are just horrendous.
images

Wouldn't it be amazing if Merlin put an install in without all the marketing bollocks and just delivered a really good ride. There's so many out there now to choose from.

Last time was..... Can't even remember, in fact, have they ever delivered a fantastic ride at any of their parks? Colossos was pre Merlin, same with Oblivion and Nemesis. Arguably Saw... But even that suffers from being **** (imo of course).

elephant58

Hyper Poster
To be honest, I personally think that the Smiler's great. Like the whole aesthetic of the area, with the huge tangle of track itself and the grey and yellow architecture of the buildings (I know a lot of people don't like this though). Plus I don't find the coaster itself to be particularly rough until the last couple of inversions and it's really long as well, which is something Merlin tend not to do too well.

Sandman

Giga Poster
They will probably keep the effects in good nick to be honest, then stick a nice fat upcharge on them for special 'late night' occasions ;) #MerlinMagic

scw55

Hyper Poster
Also,

What?
2 x trains
1 train = 6 carriages.
1 train = 12 riders.
2 x trains = 24 riders.
Riders per carriage = 12r/6c = 2

1 train would have a layout like:
8|8|8|8|8|8

The maths is fine. It's the clarity of the English which is at fault.

davidm

Strata Poster
Yes, but its the confusion between "train" and "ride" here thats just daft English. One train is one ride, so why do they say 24 pax per ride if each train is just the 12 seat jobbie.
(and obviously I now can't find where I copied that quote from, assumed it was in the press-kit though - (edit) OK like here)

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I expect 80% of the planning time was used up planning this photoshoot/PR release and 50% of the budget too.

It's a pretty set of photos but just reaffirms my expectation of it being all marketing and no substance.

Could even wrong.....maybe.

At least the photos actually contain the ride now.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Gawping at those press photos earlier, look incredible.

Now just posting to say I've only just realised how brilliant the 8|8|8|8|8 is at dictating a 2 seater train carriage from top down.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Now just posting to say I've only just realised how brilliant the 8|8|8|8|8 is at dictating a 2 seater train carriage from top down.

Thank you. It went through a lot of iterations. Be glad I didn't stick with:

XX
XX
XX
XX
XX
XX

or
O|O|O|O|O|O
O|O|O|O|O|O

Coaster

Mega Poster
The Smiler's aesthetic is terrible in my opinion, apart from the marmaliser it's just a concrete mess with a few things tacked on.

The Wicker Man structure looks good in those photos but it's probably only for the photo shoot IMO, much like how the interior of Derren Brown's Ghost Train looks great with the fog, despite the fact it has never actually operated like that to guests.