Change background image

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Discussion in 'Roller Coaster Construction' started by Dar, Apr 23, 2016.

1. elephant58

elephant58 Member

Best Coaster:
    Oblivion
    Best Park:
    PBB
    Coaster Count:
    https://www.towerstimes.co.uk/sw8/ride-plans/
    [​IMG]
    Yeah so basically quite a significant portion of the first bit of the ride just kind of bounced along up in the air just after the lift hill, before finally dropping into the Wicker Man structure at the end of a ridiculously long sound tunnel. No idea why they (whoever 'they' actually is) thought it was a good idea to have basically a long straight followed by a single drop, instead of John's idea which managed to fit a drop, an airtime hill and a really fun double down thing into the exact same plot. This NoLimits recreation not long after the original plans were released might give a better idea of what it would probably have been like:

peep, Peet and EpochEmu like this.
  2. bob_3_

bob_3_ Member

Best Coaster:
    Nemesis
    I can kinda understand why maybe he was left out of the project initially. He's very much retired now and the new project team will be wanting to create something new on their own merits!

Although considering how much work John had done previously to get wood to Alton, he's said on record so many times that it's his dream. Infact over the years I'd noticed him campaigning for it numerous times. It seems almost cruel to have not even consulted him in the early stages.

toofpikk likes this.
  3. spicy

spicy Member

Also sounds like he campaigned heavily for a woodie before they built the Smiler, I would LOVE to see some of the layouts and themes which he came up with.. Although they didn't go for it on the basis of "Merlin’s reservations on the likely public attitude towards such a ride". Great decision that turned out to be.

After those initial reservations, Merlin opt for a woodie on their own accord just after the worst accident in the parks history. Go figure.

CSLKennyNI and Hixee like this.
  4. Hixee

Hixee Flojector Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Best Coaster:
    Steel Vengeance
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    I have a feeling that the metaphorical wheels were already well in motion for SW8 before the Smiler crash. The crash, and then the Colossus debacle, leads me to think they wouldn't have built a woodie if they hadn't already developed something 'to the point of no return'.

spicy and elephant58 like this.
  5. Smithy

Smithy Member

Best Coaster:
    Balder
    Best Park:
    Liseberg
    Coaster Count:
    Yeah likewise, they'd have gone for a much safer option.

And yeah as above, the more I think about it the more I think it's unbelievably harsh on Wardley, knowing how much he pushed for a woodie, to treat him as such an afterthought.

6. elephant58

elephant58 Member

Best Coaster:
    Oblivion
    Best Park:
    PBB
    Coaster Count:
    I think it's possible thought that perhaps Merlin is so disjointed that either people thought he was already part of the project, already had been asked, or just simply overlooked because everyone else was so distracted and frantic about the project. I dunno, that's just the impression I get when I think about Merlin in the planning stages for the coaster.

7. bob_3_

bob_3_ Member

Best Coaster:
    Nemesis

Yeah the woodie was very much in the pipeline before the smiler crash. They were even doing height tests in the forbidden valley and visiting europa park alot. They had initially planned on opening in 2017.

Idea sessions for SW9 will already be underway now.

Lofty and Hixee like this.
  8. CrashCoaster

CrashCoaster Formerly ATI

Best Coaster:
    Shambhala
    Best Park:
    PortAventura Park
    Had to share this cause I found it funny:-

9. Ethan

Ethan Member

Best Coaster:
    Taron
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Interesting use of the word "funny" there.

10. vaugc002

vaugc002 Member

Best Coaster:
    Helix
    Best Park:
    Phantasialand
    Coaster Count:
    I guess some people have a 'funny' sense of humour.

zazobo and Jared like this.