What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Robbie

Hyper Poster
But this isn't what the theme is about at all. The theme is based on a secretive group within a forest that detest the advance of technology and are rebuilding a monument to their long lost saviour.
Whatever spin Alton put on it, that's still the basic story of a group of pagans burning something for their God. There's no getting away from the fact that historically, among the things they've burnt have been goats and virgins.
There are no links at all between the wicker man movie (which nobody under 30 seems to have heard of) and this new ride.
Yes, that's what I said.

But if your family ride has the same name as a famous horror film people are going to make comparisons, no matter how much you spend on marketing. It's like opening a boat ride called Titanic and just claiming it's about a big boat.

People seem to be over darkening the theme, because if we look at what has been released so far by the park, it isn't too dark or scary at all, more like mysterious.
Secret groups burning things they don't understand is fairly dark, isn't it? You don't catch Postman Pat doing it.

Matt N

CF Legend
Yeah 30mph isn't exactly fast...
I more meant that I was expecting it to crawl through the layout at about 10mph in parts from other enthusiasts' limited enthusiasm for this project. I don't think 35mph is exactly crawling speed for a family woodie.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
You don't catch Postman Pat doing it.
Would be a valid argument if the ride was targeted at children under 6 and was being built in CBeebies Land.

In my opinion, none of what the park has released has been very scary or inappropriate, burning a wooden statue doesn't scream dark and terrifying to me (the whole country does it every November) but perhaps people have different definitions of dark.

Sandman

Giga Poster
My layout recreation in Planet Coaster must have been way off then, because my recreation did not go under 30-35mph for the whole layout.

Dude, you can't rely on Planet Coaster or even an more accurate design sim like No Limits to give you a very reliable speed stat. NL gives a good indication but Planet Coasters building tools are not very scientific at all ;)

Last edited:

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Where did you hear that? As far as I know, nobody other than senior staff at Alton and GCI have physically seen it testing. People have heard it testing, I know, but I don't think anyone's actually seen it. This could have a really good pace to it for all we know.
It's a running CF joke where all new coasters are considered slow because of the videos from the first few test runs. Don't think anything of it.

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

MakoMania

Mega Poster
I was exaggerating for comic effect. I've done it a trillion billion times.
Blank+_943581ed9d5374625b120196a0de9327.jpg

Matt N

CF Legend
Ooooh! Excitement! They're finally announcing what we've basically already known since December 2016, but I'm still excited! Also, do you guys reckon that they will give us a real POV alongside the announcement? If they wanted to, Merlin would probably give it the USP of "world's first ride announcement to provide a real POV alongside the announcement" or something like that!

Matt N

CF Legend
I cant see it very well, but does that say the 8th of January?
It says 8-1-18, so yes. Unless they're using American dates, in which case it would mean the 1st August, which would really be taking the biscuit when the ride is due to open in March. I am 100% certain that they are not using American dates and that they do mean the 8th January 2018, though.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
It says 8-1-18, so yes. Unless they're using American dates, in which case it would mean the 1st August, which would really be taking the biscuit when the ride is due to open in March. I am 100% certain that they are not using American dates and that they do mean the 8th January 2018, though.

Well they're obviously not going to announce it AFTER the ride opens... It'll be a British date (since Alton Towers is in Britain), so it'll be the 8th of January.

El Patricko

Roller Poster
I'm saving my shillings for icon tbh, Not a fan of woodies and can't see this new coaster changing my preconceptions however unpopular this opinion is.

If you ask me the theme is over thought, I'd be happy if it were just called "shivering timbers junior" or something equally unoriginal that fits into the areas theme.

I definitely don't like the change in the angle of the lift hill, it doesn't sit right with me. Maybe I'm just being obtuse ;)