What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

didn't something similar to this happen about 2 weeks before swarm's opening. From my memory it was when the ride was in its testing phase and apparently the train had hit something along its route.

Ethan

Strata Poster

CookieCoasters said:
didn't something similar to this happen about 2 weeks before swarm's opening. From my memory it was when the ride was in its testing phase and apparently the train had hit something along its route.

It's called a publicity stunt.

scw55

Hyper Poster

What is this steep angle? As far as I'm aware it's either a modest angled lifthill or a vertical lifthill. Vertical is indeed steep, but by that point the term "shear" comes into play.

marc

CF Legend

Last night they were still just meant to be running with 1 train on the circuit at a time.

If they do this the through put is going to be dire when it opens which is probably why they are expecting 3 to 4 hour queues.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

Surely they can't do a 1 train run. Seeing as this is may be the biggest ride to hit the Uk this millennium , they can't surely do it seeing as the ride lasts almost 3-4 minutes. What is the highest throughput the ride can do per-hour with all it's trains on?

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I'm pretty sure Alton Towers will be doing everything they possibly can to have The Smilier running as efficiently as possible on opening day and through the opening weekend. This ride is a big deal to them - and the UK theme park industry in general - so they will do their best to avoid long queues and lengthy breakdowns. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they had a few soft openings during the last few hours of of next week to prepare staff and test operations.

Relax, everything will be fine.

Smithy

Strata Poster

scw55 said:
What is this steep angle? As far as I'm aware it's either a modest angled lifthill or a vertical lifthill. Vertical is indeed steep, but by that point the term "shear" comes into play.

It's the first lift hill.

They just used careful wording and said that after the first inversion the ride ground to a halt on a steep incline.

When in reality it went through the first inversion and broke down on the lift. Huge difference if you know what you're talking about, first one makes it look overly dramatic.

marc

CF Legend

Yes it's still in the testing stage so for all we know they have been testing all the trains just no ones seen it.

sean

Mega Poster

marc said:
which is probably why they are expecting 3 to 4 hour queues.

I don't care how good it is but no roller coaster is worth 3 to 4 hours of queueing!!

I queued 2 sodding hours for Swarm last year....What a waste!!

ciallkennett

Strata Poster

I've managed to avoid watching any of the footage/reports/POVs that's been released/shown on TV since the short clips that were on Daybreak. I want to have some element of surprise and 'awe' on Thursday.

I reserve judgement on the ride until then.

Smithy

Strata Poster

:|

That's an absolute mile away, that must be a 3/4 hour wait even barring any breakdowns.....

Snoo

The Legend

Smithy said:
:|

That's an absolute mile away, that must be a 3/4 hour wait even barring any breakdowns.....

45 whole minutes? Son of a skank you are some spoiled bitches. :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Right, report from yesterday then.

They had one car on the track and two on the transfer track by the looks of it.

LOTS of work still going on and the queue line area is a real mess. Railings being put in, welding and stuff going on, concrete being cut, that kind of thing. They do have three days though.

I imagine that they've been testing with multiple trains and are sorting out the bugs in control systems.

The ride seems oddly smaller now it's finished :lol: It's still bloody impressive though and one of the airtime hills looks awesome.

X-Sector was packed for the first two or three hours (the rest of the park was a typical Sunny May Sunday) - presumably with people heading to The Smiler, finding it closed and then going on the rides there. Even Enterprise had a four cycle queue! Oblivion was an hour, with the other rides being between 20 mins and 40 mins. So yeah, it's going to get packed down there.

The crappy entrance looks a little better in real life and they were working on it yesterday. I'm not going to say it's great, but it fits in better as part of the whole package than when you just see it as an individual photo.

Edit: Temp queue may be in case they haven't actually finished the main queue yet - there's a good chance...

scw55

Hyper Poster

The advert mirrors Oblivion's Advert with a rider sitting next to a creepy possible murderer. Who then speaks to you in silly voice.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Not sure if this has been uploaded yet, it's an onride video from The Express, it has the sound effects and everything!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0zIiwlj3X4[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.