What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc

CF Legend
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

At the end of the day even if we think its crap the public will love it. Why? As it inverts 14 times.

They love Rita due to the launch.

The public do not care about this and that.

It's a win win for the park.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

It is indeed, but I do so hope that one day we can have a win/win for the public and enthusiasts in the UK... Like one of the Intamin airtime machines, or a really good wooden coaster (that isn't in the arse end of Wales :lol: ).

Lofty

CF Legend

furie said:
It is indeed, but I do so hope that one day we can have a win/win for the public and enthusiasts in the UK... Like one of the Intamin airtime machines, or a really good wooden coaster (that isn't in the arse end of Wales :lol: ).
Amen to that. The thing is, I very much doubt an UK park adding a coaster like that. It seems parks are more concerned about adding 'Uk first' or strange coasters that generate PR (good business) rather than adding anything that's substantially exciting to ride for all of the UK market.

marc

CF Legend

They are never going to please everyone. We like The Swarm, the public don't.

I just don't get it tbh lol.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

I think this a win/win. Loads of loop-de-loops for the public. Us, 14 inversions, airtime hills, good story, loads of theming. This hopefully won't be too jerky. So unless you hate inversions, it should be a great experience. However the cattle pen queue is a bit of a poo but aw...well.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Love how everyones pre-judging the ride.. If it was a B&M and they did this, you'd all be creaming.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

But then if it was a B&M who made this, we'd already know it was smooth.. Kinda links to your argument in the Gatekeeper topic :p

scw55

Hyper Poster

Nemesis of oblivion said:
However the cattle pen queue is a bit of a poo but aw...well.

I think cattle pen queues are a shame too. At least they make sense in the context of this ride's narrative.

(I'm guilty of doing cattle-pen queues on RCT3. They're so space-efficient)

Ben

CF Legend

Screaming Coasters said:
Love how everyones pre-judging the ride.. If it was a B&M and they did this, you'd all be creaming.

If it was a B&M it'd be awesome and they'd have done something totally different like you're asking them to, so?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

A B&M is the best guarantee that you can get that a coaster will be good, because they are consistently good. Even the bad ones are good.

All the other companies vary in hit-rate. Intamin can make rides soooo much better than B&M, but they also make **** awful rides too, and there's apparently no way to tell until it's too late. When it came to Swarm, I was selfishly delighted it was a B&M, because it's local and I want something "good" rather than take the risk of something that might be awesome but probably won't be. Further afield, I'd selfishly rather parks took the risk to make something awesome. But, really, it's only Intamin who make AWESOME things, so... :p

The hit rate of Gerstlaurer is far less than Intamin.

It's fair to assume that Smiler has a high chance of riding like ****. It might not, but it probably will.

But, Smiler was the right choice for Alton. It's the right choice for the audience. It's the right choice to invest costs in a long track with a lot of inversions rather than a ...reliable, for want of a better word, manufacturer. Smiler is going to do well, and I predict will be the most successful ride Merlin have built since Saw. There's no pissing around with difficult-to-market-potentially-amazing-but-lets-be-honest-it's-Merlin attraction types like Zufari and Sub-Terra here. There's no over-hyping of intensity or extremity as with Thirteen and Swarm here. Smiler is was it is, it's laid bare. It'll do well.

scw55

Hyper Poster

Tangent. The concept of ZuFari really grated my nerves because Chester Zoo renamed their Monorail "Zoofari". It felt like Merlin jumped on the bandwagon of that term. But evaded 'copying' but using a very annoying "hip" and "cool" way of spelling the portmanteau word.

At least the Smiler name-wise only grates by having the word The in front of it. It's why I always say the Smiler with a lower case t.

I think names can be important. Shakespeare may say "What's in a name? A rose by any other name is just a sweet", but a rose isn't branded.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

melchi said:
I think it looks like it'll be a solid addition to the Towers. Plenty of forces and head choppers all round.

I have to agree with you here. Alton really does need a new big coaster, it got rid of a good coaster in the form of Corkscrew for Th13teen which, in my opinion, is ok at best, so yeah, if these 'Alton Towers fangirls' are real, I am one of them, I can't wait for the Smiler.

I also think that the majority of people on here are also 'buzzing' despite what they post, hence the Live on opening day ;) Just an observation hehehe. Furie, I think you're wetting yourself with excitement ;)

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Qn: If we grab Jordan at the Live and turn him upside-down for a while, will he have to change his signature (and will it cause him more pain than the Smiler)?

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Unfortunately for you I am unable to make the live as I have an exam sooo you'll have to wait to do that ;)

Is anyone watching Blue Peter? They were told about the 14 inversions back in November when there was no track even! *Gasp*

Smithy

Strata Poster

Aye, well kept secret.

All I've learnt from the past half hour of Blue Peter is that Helen Skelton is fine.

Airtime in those two hills from both the ITV footage and this footage looks ridiculous.

Interior of the station looks a bit bland though.

scw55

Hyper Poster

It looks really pretty when it tumbles through those barrel rolls.

Thanks for the upload. I was annoyed that it was taking a while to appear on iPlayer. I guess Blue Peter isn't a highly demanded TV show for iPlayer users.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

scw55 said:
I guess Blue Peter isn't a highly demanded TV show for iPlayer users.
On the contrary - more people watch it on iPlayer than on broadcast. Don't know why it was delayed, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.