What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

Did anyone notice that the magnetic fins on the lift (at least the vertical one) retracted right before the train passed by?

~Sneaky

Here's another video showing some testing and you can also hear some new area/smiler related music being played in X sector.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dob53p4oOMQ[/youtube]

Oh no, please don't tell me they're using that hideous game intro music as an area theme. I was really hoping for something better than this :(

^This particular tune sounds ridiculous...actually it does a good job at accompanying the equally awful staff uniforms.

The actual game play music would have sounded far better. There's a real sense of impending doom:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4yRm3exx1g[/youtube]

I think they are using that too, it seems to come to that at the end of the video...?

FaceYourNemesis said:
^This particular tune sounds ridiculous...actually it does a good job at accompanying the equally awful staff uniforms.
I don't quite think you're getting the point of the theme of The Smiler. It's not meant to be serious, at all. It's all done in a pseudo-fun/horror style. The music fits absolutely perfect I think.

Its running that slowly because of the light trains and the wheels used.

It won't run anything like that once its open.

Thanks for pointing that out, Joey. I didn't watch the whole video this morning.

Lofty - I don't know...the whole project seemed to take itself very seriously at first, what with the freaky Ministry of Joy trials and The Sanctuary. Then you have the weird dystopian themeing which makes this such a unique ride.

It just feels like bit by bit The Smiler is being dumbed down.

FaceYourNemesis said:
It just feels like bit by bit The Smiler is being dumbed down.

The ride is partly themed to brainwashing so I think 'dumbing it down' fits quite well!

I can't get my head around that to be honest, I don't understand how The Smiler is being "Dumbed down" when more and more is being added to it? Ha. Nothing is being dumbed down, it's just that some 'fans' (of a ride that's not opened yet?!) are thinking way too much into absolutely everything that's happening to the ride on a daily basis. Before anyone says "We're enthusiasts, it's what we do", it's truly not, it's just a minority.

Btw, I'm not having a go, although it sounds I am.

40+ SECONDS FOR THE FIRST LIFT. That's ridiculous...

The music is brilliant! I've just watched the POV and that music will be going through my head for a while now!
It's got that sinister but fun twist to it! Love it!

I was really tempted to not watch that POV, but I have. All I will say is it looks brilliant. It's clear from watching that the inside is not quite finished yet! But regardless, it looks epic!

I cannot wait to go!

The POV makes it look better than I expected. The mid-course lift hill thankfully breaks it up nicely so it shouldn't be too through intense crampness of the inversions. Yeah, I quite like the look of it.

Here's a re-mirrored version;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZM0-jEUUiE[/youtube]

The transition of the entry to the corkscrew is SO lethal, hahaha.

Looks really fun! I love how quick the indoor section goes past. It's so snappy and yum.

Status
Not open for further replies.