What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

^Its worth the watch just for the guy **** his pants, like he's never been on a rollercoaster before. :lol:

Looks a lot smoother on this video (apart from the Cobra roll, that has a huge jerk!), also take note of the second airtime hill, I counted at least 3 seconds of air-time!

Looks like great fun!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Photos from yesterday. Nothing new really I'm afraid...

053f890187adcb94867d2d40.jpg

View from Battle Galleons - you can see here how much it pokes out - though you can't actually see it from Towers Street or on the way down past Sonic - it's only really visible from this side.

a38f2e55a41b5fa2da24d8eb.jpg

Main Entrance is a little better...

7c0c5cc2a1835af8f3abc6df.jpg

Airtime hill looks really awesome actually - let's hope those trims don't grab.

4252a2264ca74407beed327e.jpg

Such a complicated mass of... EVERYTHING.

Complete album of the day here:
http://www.coasterforce.com/my-cf/photo ... lbumid=266

No PTR I'm afraid, I'm just too busy :(

Robbie

Hyper Poster

The ride looks great, but the trains are ugly.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

All I say is thank goodness the lift hills are no longer as slow as the Japanese/Chinese Jet coasters...

As for the advert...it's inventive, very to-the-point and conveys superbly the mad debacle of the track and ride experience. On a side note, they seem to have picked the best parts of many previous adverts. To illustrate my point:

- "You belong to the smiler" guy - Very reminscent of the Oblivion "Don't look down"
-The deceptive but unreal launch featured in air's advert

And does it mean dueling? Swarm's advert featured the same aspect, but this time it seems the track was designed specifically with dueling in mind, until somebody throws something at or from the ride at the other train.

It's good, but Swarm's was far more enthralling and genuinely provoked my hairs to erect!

Ethan

Strata Poster

I have a feeling people who are taking the day off work this Thursday may be slightly concerned...

375152_565939186770597_728803186_n_zpsc82438b1.jpg

Things like this should have been finished ages ago :L (Picture from TTF)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

They seem to be doing repairs and tarting up in the day, then testing overnight.

I'm certainly worried for Thursday, it's a real mess, but we can just cross our fingers and arrange a Sunday meet up too ;)

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

Thankfully I have two trips planned to the Towers next week, Sunday and the following Saturday so fingers crossed for then!

I like the TV advert, was casually watching TV not really paying attention when the good old Towers theme music begins 'dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun' ahhhhhhh

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Looks a lot smoother in the Express video.

I have every confidence that the ride will be open and running well (maybe one or two short break downs) on Thursday.

big john

Mega Poster

is it just me or does that advert show you launching up the second lift hill

Smithy

Strata Poster

What are they doing in that picture, trying to winch the support and move it over?

I'm worried it'll breakdown on opening day, but my main worry is the queue lengths tbh, you'd have thought just for opening day they'd extend the opening hours somewhat.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster

It wont be as busy as it could be, with half term being the week after, most (non-enthusiasts) won't book a day off work/school to go, they'll just wait until half term. Colleges are off for study leave however

marc

CF Legend

^Yes that's what I thought, they are probably just getting it ready for the weekend etc.

Swat

Hyper Poster

Smithy said:
but my main worry is the queue lengths tbh, you'd have thought just for opening day they'd extend the opening hours somewhat.

Extending the opening hours unless opening early won't have that much of an effect because there will still be people queueing hours after the parks shut if the queue is big. Depending on how big it gets more so over the bank holiday they could end up closing the queue early otherwise you could see people queueing 2-3 hours past closing.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Was moreso thinking of having time to get on the other rides though.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

The entire point of an opening day is the atmosphere. If you're going with the intention of whoring rides, you're doing it wrong, and you guys can go to work for me and I'll go instead and enjoy it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Smithy said:
What are they doing in that picture, trying to winch the support and move it over?

I'm worried it'll breakdown on opening day, but my main worry is the queue lengths tbh, you'd have thought just for opening day they'd extend the opening hours somewhat.

They've extended opening hours on Saturday. They simply don't have a clue what volume of people they'll see on Thursday.

I was expecting Sunday to be dead, with the ride opening this week and next week being the holidays, but it was still as busy as normal for the time of year.

So yeah, I think it's a mystery to everyone.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Aye can imagine that weekend will be packed.

And Joey I'm not going for the 'opening day', I was originally going to Chessington on that date and Alton later on in the year but since Smiler would be open it made sense to go there instead. As I only really go to Alton once every few years I was hoping to get on a few rides I've not yet done and then Smiler, hence hoping it's not going to be packed.

If I was a more regular visitor I'd not be arsed about maybe only getting a few rides in.

sparky2u

Mega Poster

Ethan said:
Not sure if this has been uploaded yet, it's an onride video from The Express, it has the sound effects and everything!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0zIiwlj3X4[/youtube]

I don't think the guy should of rode it as you can see he did not enjoy the coaster, he had his eyes closed & at the top of the lift hills he did not want the train to leave the chain, his neck was far too forward which could cause a strain if it was a rough ride. Best to lean back against the headrest, head straight (not easy for a Gerstlauer), look ahead till the brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.