Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

The difference is that everyone already knows what Gatekeeper is. There's nothing to discuss because all the information was given out on the press release.

Here, we still don't even know the manufacturer, so while the mud pictures are useless, at some point in the very near future a footer will appear, and then 12 pages of comparing footers to other footers to try and work out who the manufacturer may be based entirely on a round bit of concrete.

It's the UK equivalent of a jigsaw, we like them to be just a single sheet of colour, 20,000 pieces and the only way to solve it is to collaborate with 100 other people. In America, I don't think the words "may require some construction" is ever applied to jigsaws (in this analogy ;) ).

Lancebloke

Roller Poster

I am planning on getting to the Towers in summer 2013. Hoping this is going to be as crazy as it looks. I am always happy to spend my day on Nemesis (with a quick visit to a few other rides) but would like to have something that could rival it... maybe even beat it!!

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Is it just me or does the fact that they are now advertising it as "World beating" make it sound like it's a record rather than a worlds first... And is it just me or are the rumours that the 11 inversions would be the selling point, seeming alot more real now the twirly eyed smilie is being used as a logo. Seems pretty decent, as long as they use lap bars I think it will be a good ride.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

So what do they mean by "world beating" I wonder? It's no longer a "world's first", although they could tenuously mean the same thing.

I really worried that logo indicates spinning or rotation of some kind. All this #getcorrected stuff (I'm slowly beginning to dislike the use of hasgtags on everything, makes it seem X Factory), says to me "it's going to turn you around, you'll go in one way but you'll come out another", perhaps physically or mentally. Will the coaster play with your mind in some way?

Although what I really hope this #getcorrected stuff means is "Alton Towers have corrected the trend of adding lacklustre rides for the last seven years." Hopefully this coaster will be something special. The drip-drip marketing isn't intriguing enough for me at the moment, would rather see something special like Thorpe did with Swarm. perhaps the fright nights will change all that.

So many questions, too many mud photos and not enough subtle information to make an educated guess about the ride.

marc

CF Legend

1st time I've looked here in ages.

Still nothing really worth while apart from that picture that looks like its been drawn by a 10 year old.

Just cannot get excited about this yet.

Time will tell.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

silenthillXD said:
Is it just me or does the fact that they are now advertising it as "World beating" make it sound like it's a record rather than a worlds first... And is it just me or are the rumours that the 11 inversions would be the selling point, seeming alot more real now the twirly eyed smilie is being used as a logo. Seems pretty decent, as long as they use lap bars I think it will be a good ride.

I like "World Beating". It's vague in the same way Nemesis is "The world's most intense ride experience". How do you define "intense"? How do you define "Ride Experience"?

World beating doesn't mean record breaking or world's first. It just means they think it's the best by whatever vague definition they decide to attach to it. In other words, it's (hopefully) just standard PR gumph. That means that the ride has to stand on its own, rather than being completely reliant on some gimmick.

That's the hope anyway [/preparesfordisappointment]

Martyn B

CF Legend

Ian, I wouldn't worry too much about spinning. After all Colossus uses a similar spiraling logo.

Lancebloke

Roller Poster

I am guessing the 'world beating' or 'worlds first' is something that is going to happen inside again, a bit like thirteen. There doesnt seem to be much room inside for the train to move up a level as the plans show (near Canopy B). Could it be a reverse Thirteen? Getting shot up inside of dropping down?

Jake

Strata Poster

I really don't know why so many of you are actually expecting this ride to have some sort of amazing, unique aspect to it, especially after the Thirteen mess. I'm just waiting for everyone to hate this cred soon enough because it's just a Eurofighter.

I'm doing exactly what I did with Thirteen - expect something crap, then when an 'alright' coaster opens next year, I'll be the only one who doesn't slate it!

Please... don't expect something world beating or a world first. Don't fall for the Thirteen-esque promises again (still don't know how educated enthusiasts believed all that crap anyway)...

Don't get me wrong, I'd love something unique, but it's blates not going to happen. Everything Alton have shoved in for the last 10 years has been very meh, so I'm not expecting them to change now, especially with what we've seen so far of the plans.

scw55

Hyper Poster

World's first wasp themed coaster? That's what the colour scheme implies.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^ Interesting theory, hopefully it'll be like the amazing Queen Bee coaster at Bottons.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

I went on Friday, and rather than wasting time enjoying myself, I decided to sneak some pictures of construction.

I'd completely forgotten to add my photos until now. All taken through a gap in the fence:

dirt.jpg

276.jpg

dirt-texture-2.jpg

mud.jpg

RobJackson85

Roller Poster

The whole #getcorrected could mean a back story of a underground research/healing facility. You go on the ride to rid yourself of a disease, thus becoming corrected.

Also to tie in with scarefest, they are saying 'The Sanctuary' is an asylum of sorts. A place where they attempt to correct mental issues.

I'm not too keen on the whole 'Ministry of Joy' though. Not very scary, reminds me too much of Harry Potter.

Inverse

Hyper Poster

I'm thinking that it's some kind of brain washing or mind control theme, It'd work well in X Sector. The eyes are kind of hypnotising and creepy. Expect a load of visual illusions in the queue.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Wow Gavin, that's neat, that's neat, that's neat, that's neat...

I did already beat your tiger feet to it though :p
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=34424

I don't think anyone knew what regolith was though :lol:

Idlewild

Mega Poster

RobJackson85 said:
I'm not too keen on the whole 'Ministry of Joy' though. Not very scary, reminds me too much of Harry Potter.

Seems pretty Orwellian to me.

In 1984 the "Ministry of truth" is propeganda and the "Ministry of Love" has a torture chamber.

scw55

Hyper Poster

RobJackson85 said:

You've never heard the jinxing words "We assure you nothing could possibly go wrong".
The idea is that it sounds so extremely reassuring that it starts to sound quite alarming.

It's like having a Horror Maze named "The Halls of Kittens". The deception makes it even more scary.
Then again, if any of you had owned a cat that likes to sleep on the landing at night, and you try to go to the bathroom and walk past it and it pounces on your feet... You'd find that instantly frightening to begin with.

They are a corrupt organisation that wants participants. They wouldn't name it the Ministry of Anguish.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

RobJackson85 said:
It's nicely Orwellian, but does make me think of Holly Willoughby's kids show "Ministry of Mayhem" (which had no Orwellian undertones but lots of gunge, and regular appearances by 5ive, which is scary enough)

RobJackson85

Roller Poster

Idlewild said:
RobJackson85 said:

Seems pretty Orwellian to me.

In 1984 the "Ministry of truth" is propeganda and the "Ministry of Love" has a torture chamber.

scw55 said:
RobJackson85 said:

You've never heard the jinxing words "We assure you nothing could possibly go wrong".
The idea is that it sounds so extremely reassuring that it starts to sound quite alarming.

It's like having a Horror Maze named "The Halls of Kittens". The deception makes it even more scary.
Then again, if any of you had owned a cat that likes to sleep on the landing at night, and you try to go to the bathroom and walk past it and it pounces on your feet... You'd find that instantly frightening to begin with.

They are a corrupt organisation that wants participants. They wouldn't name it the Ministry of Anguish.

Robbie said:
RobJackson85 said:
It's nicely Orwellian, but does make me think of Holly Willoughby's kids show "Ministry of Mayhem" (which had no Orwellian undertones but lots of gunge, and regular appearances by 5ive, which is scary enough)

I understand your points, and this is more than likely the obvious case.

I still though... I dunno... I just don't get the feeling of terror from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.