What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naemuti

Mega Poster
A space-traveling coaster, I guarantee it. Who needs expensive theming when you can do a corkscrew AROUND THE SUN? :wink:

SAW_gameover

Mega Poster
neo said:
Candy Holland is the Creative Director of Merlin Entertainment’s Park Development Team. She is responsible for overseeing the creative design of all Merlin’s latest attractions and has been working with Merlin/Tussauds since Oblivion.

Funny how Alton's ride's have gone downhill since then :D

Brookes

Giga Poster
I think it's interesting how it says: "We are going to be working extremely hard to make sure this ride is the only one of its kind in the world."

Not sure what is meant by that really. I would love to see a woodie, but the only really possibility for that is a launch, and I assume one will be built soon from the launched wooden shuttle at IAAPA.

Nic

Strata Poster
Brookes said:
I think it's interesting how it says: "We are going to be working extremely hard to make sure this ride is the only one of its kind in the world."
It means they're going to build a clone, then go around the world and trash all the others, so that it's the only one left. My money is still on a big apple.

Joking aside, what about that 12 loop Intamin Colossus mongrel, the plans for which have been doing the rounds for a while? With Corkscrew gone, the one thing (OK, one of the many things) the park doesn't have is a sit down looper.

OK, so that's probably got far too massive a footprint for the park (where the hell are they planning on putting a whole new coaster anyway?). I don't know though. I reckon they need a looper of some kind.

Or, or, or,... no... I've got it!

A ZacSpin. Backwards. In the dark.

divvie_dave

Mega Poster
Really what they are doing is announcing that they are going to try their very best to get a world first early, then they sit and watch the forums and wait to see all our ideas, then pick one at random... Because it seems to me that we are the only ones that know what a true record is and what a true world first is hahaha

Oh it's so annoying when speculation goes on and people give all these sarcastic remarks "it will be a flying coaster that dives into the English Channel, and then morphs into a 4D coaster halfway through the ride, emerging from the English Channel into Paris, where it then loops around the Eiffel tower and then comes back to England." Please. It gets old after the first one or two.

Anyway, as long as it's something good. Thirteen was just SAD, and I will be over in 2013 so it better be effing fab to make up for the **** that was Thirteen.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Not to repeat myself but it could be a woodie with a beyond vertical drop.

They actually said not so long ago that they weren't interested in Woodies, as the public see them as an 'old' coaster.

BUT, wasn't it that woman with the strange name, who has since left Alton?

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
^ Well she was saying how whenever Merlin does research on woodies the general response from the public is that they're unsafe, uncomfortable and, as you said, old fashioned.

She actually said she would love to have a woodie because it would have the worlds longest drop on a wooden rollercoaster if it was at Alton and went into the valley (which just would've done her marketing PR job for her) but, as woodies don't research well, the head chief just wouldn't have it. Neither would the council, as I'm sure we all remmeber.

So yeah, I don't think her absence will have/ have had any impact whatsoever.

Nic

Strata Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
it will be a flying coaster that dives into the English Channel, and then morphs into a 4D coaster halfway through the ride, emerging from the English Channel into Paris, where it then loops around the Eiffel tower and then comes back to England.
Oh, but that sounds AWESOME! <3

Jake

Strata Poster
I really have no ideas of my own, but I'd say the most realistic would be some sort of gimmicky water coaster type thing where the flume is. Nobody REALLY cares about it any more, it takes up a lot of room and quite frankly, it's had it. It's funny how after the Thirteen fiasco there are people who are hyping this up already, then they'll be the first to kick up a fuss when it's a 'dissapointment' again.

PLEASE don't expect too much and you can only be pleasantly suprised. As much as I'd love a 500ft launched 4D coaster that gives me a prostate massage for the whole ride, I'm not counting my chickens yet.

Lofty

CF Legend
^ Well, bear in mind, they used the freefall dropping section (which tbf is just an elevator on crack) as a world's first coaster, not a world's first element or whatever. It's just clever marketing.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Jake said:
I really have no ideas of my own, but I'd say the most realistic would be some sort of gimmicky water coaster type thing where the flume is. Nobody REALLY cares about it any more, it takes up a lot of room and quite frankly, it's had it. It's funny how after the Thirteen fiasco there are people who are hyping this up already, then they'll be the first to kick up a fuss when it's a 'dissapointment' again.

PLEASE don't expect too much and you can only be pleasantly suprised. As much as I'd love a 500ft launched 4D coaster that gives me a prostate massage for the whole ride, I'm not counting my chickens yet.

This...

We all know that in reality, the "World's First" is either going to be a silly little gimmick, or it's just going to be a variation on what's gone before. However, Merlin are already selling LC12 as a world's first, the year after they open an identical style coaster at Gardaland. So who knows?

It's unlikely to be anything we can think of though, until we start to see the hints in the plans submitted. Whatever it is you think of, it's likely to be wrong/over the top. Speculation is fine, but we'll see 200 pages of "I think it would be good if it was this...", "no, that's a stupid idea, this would be better" arguments before everyone finds out it's nothing exciting at all and everyone then spends 200 pages saying "I'm so disappointed, it should have been this...", "No, this would have been better..."

Then it opens and everyone thinks it's going to be mind blowing, and are once again upset because they worked themselves into such a frenzy for two years and 600 pages of speculation that even a trip to the moon with constant hot sex in zero-g with the fittest of the fit would seem lacklustre.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Oblivion really was mind blowing, fearsome and captivating though. They have potential to pull something great off even if it is a little gimmicky (Oblivion did NOT feel gimmicky at the time - at least not me as a 13-year-old)!

But they also have the potential for another Thirteen - and dispapointing many.

Lofty

CF Legend
I agree. To be honest, I thought that they didn't think big enough when it come to Th13teen, they had too many planning restraints on the location. Dependant on where they aim to put this, it could be something pretty amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.