What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastermaniac94

Mega Poster
furie said:
Jake said:
I really have no ideas of my own, but I'd say the most realistic would be some sort of gimmicky water coaster type thing where the flume is. Nobody REALLY cares about it any more, it takes up a lot of room and quite frankly, it's had it. It's funny how after the Thirteen fiasco there are people who are hyping this up already, then they'll be the first to kick up a fuss when it's a 'dissapointment' again.

PLEASE don't expect too much and you can only be pleasantly suprised. As much as I'd love a 500ft launched 4D coaster that gives me a prostate massage for the whole ride, I'm not counting my chickens yet.

This...

We all know that in reality, the "World's First" is either going to be a silly little gimmick, or it's just going to be a variation on what's gone before. However, Merlin are already selling LC12 as a world's first, the year after they open an identical style coaster at Gardaland. So who knows?

It's unlikely to be anything we can think of though, until we start to see the hints in the plans submitted. Whatever it is you think of, it's likely to be wrong/over the top. Speculation is fine, but we'll see 200 pages of "I think it would be good if it was this...", "no, that's a stupid idea, this would be better" arguments before everyone finds out it's nothing exciting at all and everyone then spends 200 pages saying "I'm so disappointed, it should have been this...", "No, this would have been better..."

Then it opens and everyone thinks it's going to be mind blowing, and are once again upset because they worked themselves into such a frenzy for two years and 600 pages of speculation that even a trip to the moon with constant hot sex in zero-g with the fittest of the fit would seem lacklustre.
are merlin really selling lc12 as a worlds first cause I never heard anything about it being a worlds first.... on AT we are not going to know what it is obviously and I like AT secrecy since it makes me excited for it. I have faith in Merlin as they seem to now be considering us lovely coaster enthusasists.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Well, unique...
LC12 Press Release said:
The German manufacturer Bolliger and Mabillard have been commissioned to build the unique new rollercoaster due to their consistent record of delivering extreme rides of the highest quality.

Of course, that could mean unique to B&M, only Intamin have Wing Walkers too, so it may just mean unique to Britain... Could also be the layout...

Erm, yeah, not "World's First" though I guess :lol:

T0M

Hyper Poster
I interpret their use of the word unique as in it's a custom layout/design combination. Is the first drop unique?

spicy

Giga Poster
furie said:
Then it opens and everyone thinks it's going to be mind blowing, and are once again upset because they worked themselves into such a frenzy for two years and 600 pages of speculation that even a trip to the moon with constant hot sex in zero-g with the fittest of the fit would seem lacklustre.

LOL!

So true aswell!

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
Q- where would this be built???

-Last I heard the 'coaster corner' (AT mouse site) was off limits because it would cause too much noise for the annoying Alton residents. ... People here have said it wouldn't work in X Sector in place of the Black Hole tent because it would take the focus away from Oblivion... So where's left without using any of the lawns that surround the towers and thus not compromising serenity of the centre of the park?

... Gloomy Wood perhaps?
They should pull thirteen down, that thing is a waste of good space.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Coaster Corner IS an option, but it has to be designed to ensure it is "sound proofed" well enough.

The Black Hole spot too is possible, but again there are noise issues, plus the site is actually pretty small.

The Flume area is ripe. The trees aren't protected (AFAIK) and the wooded area will help to kill noise from the ride. The Flume area has also been tagged as a potential site for a new water ride - that could be altered to coaster.

Gloomy Wood I think sits on some protected areas. The feeder lakes may be historically protected, I don't know to be honest though, but again, there's not actually that much room.

The entrance to Forbidden Valley (the old Dynamo site) could be used for a coaster potentially, running around the top end of Nemesis and the carp park, but height is seriously limited there.

There was talk of moving Spinball to the edge of air on the lower car park. This is another potential site for a coaster, perhaps dipping into the edge of the top end of the valley.

They're really the top sites, and I'd be leaning towards the air/carp park and Flume sites personally.

As for 13, the only fault with the ride was how it was marketed. It is a well themed, low thrill family mine train ride. It's a perfect replacement for Corkscrew and it was installed in a protected woodland without compromising the building regulations enforced on Alton. Only a small ride like 13 could do it. They added the drop to try and give it "thrill" element, and it's not worked 100%.

It's certainly a flawed ride, but there is nothing that could go in it's place, except maybe another small, low thrill family coaster.

It is what it is and not what it was advertised as. Don't get the two confused or you'll be saying that you've been on the tallest and fastest coaster in Europe without leaving Lancashire ;)

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
I didn't think of the Log Flume area. I presume that would mean removing the flume, it's not very good anyway.

Shame about the valley being off limits.

And as for thirteen, yea I just don't understand why they market it as 'the ultimate thrill ride / rollercoaster', it's a cheap shot and prob makes the GP think AT are losing the plot.

Personally I think thirteen is a bore for a family coaster.
I'll take Runaway Mine Train over it any day- it's much more fun.

marc

CF Legend
What is a carp park ? lol

I have to agree with Furie on this one, I can see the car park near Air going and being used for a new coaster. It is away from houses etc and they can easily dig in that area.

There are other part of the park they can use as people have said the log flume, but I just cannot see them removing it due to how popular it is. It just takes up so much space though and is getting old.

Even if they move Spinball I cannot see another coaster going in that area.

The locals complained about the sound from Oblivion so again I cannot see another coaster going there, plus there is not much room.

spicy

Giga Poster
The only problem in using the car park next to Air is that you start getting pretty close to the Splash Landings hotel and noise could become a problem for people staying in those rooms.

You can already hear Air and Nemesis from those rooms another coaster even closer would make it alot worse.

Plus I think that area has been noted as a potential site for a 'Downtown Disney' style area for some point in the future. Unless that and the third hotel has been scrapped of course.

When looking at AT on google maps there is actually plenty of potential sites where this coaster could be constructed. The trouble is most of the sites will certainly need the removal of trees which won't go down well

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Nic said:
A spinning wildmouse where you're actually upside-down for the entire thing. But launched. And backwards. In the dark.

Can you go backwards on a spinning ride?

marc

CF Legend
spicy said:
The only problem in using the car park next to Air is that you start getting pretty close to the Splash Landings hotel and noise could become a problem for people staying in those rooms.

You can already hear Air and Nemesis from those rooms another coaster even closer would make it alot worse.

Plus I think that area has been noted as a potential site for a 'Downtown Disney' style area for some point in the future. Unless that and the third hotel has been scrapped of course.

When looking at AT on google maps there is actually plenty of potential sites where this coaster could be constructed. The trouble is most of the sites will certainly need the removal of trees which won't go down well

If you stay onsite at a theme park this is what you should expect though and is part of it. If you ever stay in the Grand Californian you are right on one of the parks and can hear everything when you have the doors open. If Alton did not use double glazing more fool them. Other hotels I have stayed at on service stations you can hear cars go past.

Alton does not stay open really late anyway and most people onsite stay until closing time so it is not really a big issue. Sooner or later they will need to expand and many other parks use car parks as its easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.