What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

mouse

Giga Poster
I think it's gonna be a swinging suspended coaster with inversions.

Or a spinning wild mouse with corkscrews...

Or... The worlds first beyond vertical inverted coaster!

Ok, that's enough for now. (worlds first de-railing coaster!)

OfficialAltonTowers

Roller Poster
I hope that it is actually good this time, I don't want a crap worlds first, but i would love a cross valley hyper-coaster, or Woodie (<-- Not Likely),

I don't see Alton's (Merlin's) obsession with worlds first, surely a truly amazing coaster would bring in just as many people as a worlds first ride with a crap gimmick, and also would add longevity to the lifespan of the ride. The reason I say this, is imagine riding what you think is the best coaster you have ever ridden to date, now don't you just want to ride it again, and again, and again ... (Nemesis), whereas in comparison, think of something like Th13teen, once you have ridden and gone, that wasnt bad, then ridden it again, nothing really makes you want to ride it over and over again, unlike a truly amazing rollercoaster, once you have experienced the gimmick once, or twice, the ride looses most/all of its appeal, and i can tell you now, that if i were to go to Alton tomorrow, the last thing i would want to do would be wait in a one and a half hour queue for Th13teen, when i can spend all day walking on Nemesis, Air, Oblivion and Spinball.

So Alton, if you scan the forums and articles of the world-wide web to see people's opinions and views on your new coaster, please take on board that we DON'T want a gimmick, we want an unbeatable truly brilliant experience that we will want to re-ride over and over and over,

also to my point I wanted to add to the build areas discussion, as there seems to be mixed ideas on the subject, I don't think Alton will expand into the car park by Air, as about 14 months ago they were in discussions about future plans and one of them was to move the main park entrance to the forbidden valley for better access, and to improve the walkway between the forbidden valley and the dark forest, then that leaves it open to speculation about an aforementioned "Downtown Disney" style area outside the gates, then this leaves the whole of the entrance area open for construction and we may possibly see a new themed area. Otherwise valued areas could include the current dual site, and leave the speculation point of dual may be re-themed and moved to the Black hole tent, or just removed altogether, or just slightly to the south-westerly direction from dual to the area that contains the gloomy woods walk, where previous evaluations have been carried out for nemesis and was refered to as site 4b#2c, (no idea what that means(i assume its grid references)) but was evaluated to have "soft" bedrock and would not be suitable for construction, but nowadays we can build on sand, so surely there must be a way arround this, otherwise Alton pretty stuffed for space, as they can't build above tree height, they can't remove more than 94% of trees per acre, they can't go above set and tightly regulated noise levels, they can't modify protected areas such as the towers, gardens, the lake, or any original stonework of period timing, they don't want to go nearer to the hotels, and they can't go any further past the X sector or Dark Forrest, so there really stuck between a rock and a hard place, so unless their worlds first coaster is built completely underground, i have no idea how they are going to manage it.

Oh well ...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
OfficialAltonTowers with a post like that? I call shenanigans! ;)

OfficialAltonTowers

Roller Poster
nemesis567 said:

Lol :--D

Death XD

or the Words first launched suspended beyond vertical derailing totally underground mega super ultra hyper giga coaster, with pink restraints (and seatbelts)

mouse

Giga Poster
OfficialAltonTowers said:
nemesis567 said:

Lol :--D

Death XD

or the Words first launched suspended beyond vertical derailing totally underground mega super ultra hyper giga coaster, with pink restraints (and seatbelts)

What's the gimmick?

OfficialAltonTowers

Roller Poster
alexdude98 said:
I've heard a rumour SW7 will be in place of Oblivion! I doubt it though.

Where have you heard that? Alton wouldn't go and take one of their most popular rides out, oblivion has great throughput, and isn't that old, the next one to go would be nemesis, but nemesis wont go anywhere before batman at six flags, so I don't think they will move or get rid of any of their coasters, but i think duel is at risk, and maybe the site of the old black hole tent is a close runner-up, (i would love to see a compact Eurofighter inside or on the site of the tent, or even a tight little x-car would fit quite nicely, but they are not worlds first unless they have some sort of gimmick)

But realistically they aren't going to move/replace anything that isn't really old, really unreliable, or just plainly unpopular,

*sorry i forgot about the RMT, that is way older than nemmie, i don't know about that, since that accident?, also it is quite painful experience for all now, but they would loose so much theeming and character, unless they upgrade RMT with a newer version of the same ride, but i cant see it being there for anything over the next three to four seasons.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
i forgot about the RMT, that is way older than nemmie,

It's only 2 years older.

But yes, alton is unlikely it rip out any of it's most popular rides soon. But I think that's pretty much common sense. The most likely place to expand is probably beyond air towards the hotels or the black hole tent. Although after the ropers vs oblivion fiasco I'm sure Alton will be very wary of adding anything around there.

In some form of MTDP they mentioned moving Sonic Spinball to the Air carpark. I'm not sure what the big picture would be in that though unless it's to create a new themed area. They also applied to have the entrance moved to where the monorail maintenance shed is. If any of this goes ahead I'm sure it would allow more place for SW7 to be built.

alexdude98

Mega Poster
alexdude98 said:
I've heard a rumour SW7 will be in place of Oblivion! I doubt it though.

Where have you heard that?

YouTube. Yes, and I don't believe it. I'm just opening it up for discussion. YouTube is the most unreliable source for information - I just like sharing my findings from it though!

Coaster-Fiend

Mega Poster
the next one to go would be nemesis, but nemesis wont go anywhere before batman at six flags, so I don't think they will move or get rid of any of their coasters,

RMT would be removed before Nemesis. So would Log Flume.
Nemesis is not going anywhere, they wont remove their best ride.

Corkscrew had 28 years, I think nemesis will get at least that.
The only reason it will be removed is because the steel has lost it's strength, I don't know how long that takes, and while Nemesis is still popular they will just replace sections of it.

Look at it this way- B&M have installed over 70 coasters since 1990, and tho some have been relocated, to my knowledge all of em are still running inc the first Iron Wolf.

http://www.rcdb.com/6.htm

Surely if any of em are ever gonna be taken down, one of the 8 before Nemesis would be first.

Jake

Strata Poster
There wouldn't really be any point in removing RMT though. The footprint is actually really small, and a fair chunk of it runs right next to the Rapids ANYWAY, so there isn't much else that would go in its place. Plus, it's quite popular.

If anything large is going to get spited, it's the Flume, but I'd rather them sort out the bloody black hole tent first. What they could do with it I don't know, but it's annoying to see a space that could potentially house something just going to waste. Even some sort of dark ride or 4D show would be better than nothing.

I think it's safe to say that the B&Ms are safe for a while. Oblivion is probably the safest of them all, as they know that if they were to remove it they wouldn't be allowed to replace it with anything that tall (if anything at all).

I agree that the car park is an obvious choice, but I think they'd have to move the park entrance there too, because the monorail becomes pretty pointless if the park moves closer and closer to the hotels, and I REALLY don't want the entrance there. Towers street (and the view) is so iconic, and to have something on that scale over near air wouldn't actually leave much room for any rides there anyway...

Oh, I don't know. My money is still on the flume being replaced with something, but that's just a guess. I suppose we'll see by the end of next season if it closes...

OfficialAltonTowers

Roller Poster
Not to burst all of y'alls bubbles, but last time i checked the flume was actually quite popular, especially on those 3 hot days on the brittish calendar :p, i dont know where the new coaster will be, but i dont think that it will be on the flume site, also what the heck would be the theme? a pirate coaster... ?

at least x sector and the gloomy woods are both kind of great areas to theme, and already feature heavy and well known theming, that used the scare the **** out of me,

i guess the car park would be an ideal site, you cant see it as it dips down by SPLH, so height would be on altons side, and the noise levels couldnt really be over nemesis', and it already has no trees.

either way i dont really care about where they locate the new ride, as long as the new ride is amazing, i mean so good that i will actually want to go on it again and not nemesis, oh well...

...Live in hope and all of that .........

Inverse

Hyper Poster
On that development plan, mentioned by bob_3_ above, was there not some suggestion of tunnelling/bridging to the area that's currently overflow carparks?

Now, I could have just made that up. The original plan was displayed in the hotel a couple of years back, I believe furie went to see it and made a report that I now cannot find. That'd be good to find again so we can see what they're thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.