What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

loveagiga

Roller Poster
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

The entire idea sounds sick!! When Th13teen was released I was wondering how crazy it would be if the track spun as it fell vertically but my poor brain just found it too difficult to see it a reality... It just seems so complicated to have the track at both ends be attached to a motor but then again it'll be like one big chicken rotisserie...obv this will be a much larger scale but the concept is as simple as that. Instead of chicken attached to the pole, its a group of riders in a train haha

This matches the asylum theme SO damn well & I think Alton is really gonna bring back the magic again cause this sounds epic.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

When I first heard "rumours" of this (before the plans were released), I was told that it was a Gerstlauer and they were trying to break the inversion record ( wrote it down somewhere in this topic, but it was 11 or 12 inversions or something).

If this new rumour is true, than that stacks up. Or it could be somebody heard the rumour from the same source as me and is trying to work out where the extra inversions are. That's the problem with dealing with second, third and eighteenth hand information :lol:

Danzibarr

Mega Poster

So if this is true, Alton can technically hold the inversion record FOREVER by just adding another spin to the programme. Very sneaky.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Urgh at people "in the know" at times... Similar stuff happened to Thirteen didn't it, where some ejit on there mentioned it was "this" and the whole point of it being a secret/surprise made void...

And this sounds... Silly, daft, possibly uncomfortable... Don't like it... But way to go enthusiasts for just spouting stuff out onto forums...

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster

Joey said:
Love the shop idea from a creative perspective, but the filth and scratches will soon render it useless... Surely?

If only there was some sort of product that could remove filth, or a way to replace dirty panes of glass with new ones...:wink: (That's obvious sarcasm, pointing it out since the Internet rarely seems to acknowledge it).

I'm very excited for this and I want to ride it without knowing absolutely everything that will happen. I already made that mistake with Th13teen, so I'm officially forbidding myself to view this topic from now on.

Roll on March!

scw55

Hyper Poster

I think there's a difference between spoiling/leaking and speculation.

Speculation uses clues that are available to anyone who can look for them. Construction progress. Examine construction plans. Unearthing information from the past. It's like a fun cryptic real-life jigsaw. And with the knowledge of the crowd, it's astonishing how we can work together to work it out.

Spoilers and leaks just ruins the enjoyment of working it out and the enjoyment of finding out when it is officially revealed.

I wish it wasn't leaked. You can tell me that I shouldn't have looked, but why wouldn't I? It's like watching a car crash. Besides users who have read it are now talking about it.

Doesn't help that the Witchdoctor was a wee bit arrogant about it. "Oh I thought users on the other forum wanted to know the spoilers". No. We are just having fun speculating. And now you've made less things to speculate about.

Kebab

Giga Poster

If this is a Gerstlauer, I'm 99% sure it'll be one of these instead of the 'standard' Eurofighter, the track shaping on the plans reveal a lot of resemblance.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htJi1jwpH7s[/youtube]

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

So where's this leaked information? On another site and or has it been removed by a moderator here on CF?

I'm happy for spolilers and leaked info to be posted on CF providing the spoiler tags are used. If a park has a problem with it, they'll contact me and I can decide if I want to remove it or not.

Jake

Strata Poster

Wow, if that's actually true I quite like it. It will definitely get the guests excited anyway!

Still hoping for lap bars, but this is making me think it's even less likely </3.

Mark

Strata Poster

Well, if it were the Maurer version it could be lap bars (like on GForce) since they were designed for inversions etc.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Cheers, Mark.

That certainly sounds interesting...although still too much rumoured spininess for my liking. A brief inversion is fine (and enjoyable) but perpetual spinning for the sake of it is sickly and tiresome.

The shop idea sounds great. I like the way Colossus' hill thing after the first loop can be seen by the window in the shop. I'm all for interaction like that.

Jake, if this has lapbars, I'll take you out for a nice steak dinner. Any new ride in the UK with a near or spot-on vertical drop and inversions is going to use OTSR.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

But when you think about it, G-force did use lap bars and got away with lift hill loop thing. It would be amazong if SW7 does use lap bars, but would the public react well with it. Imagine the amount of people saying "it's got to many loop-de-loops, you will fall out"

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

^ Ok, so we're talking about different varieties of lapbars now, not the traditional ones I was one about (and assumed everybody understood what I meant). I'm still convinced it'll have OTSRs so my steak dinner bet with Jake stands if any type of lapbars are used and OTSR aren't.

Smithy

Strata Poster

G-Force only has a handful of inversions though, and doesn't keep you rotated for a sustained period of time.

If the feature of the ride was just the rotating track it'd be more likely, but with a vertical lift, similar drop and multiple inversions I highly doubt it'll be anything other than OTSR.

I'm still trying to understand the logisitics of it all.

Mark

Strata Poster

The promo video that I found similar of was of the XCar and with lap bars. In the original promo video they were also showing off how comfortable the restraints were and left people upside down in them to proove that it was comfy etc

*goes on hunt to find that bloody video now....

Its still not the original one I had seen (with rider interviews etc) but this one does show similar too...

http://www.maurer-rides.com/downloads/videos/

Click for XCar video, watch from 2.46

Clearly showing off the fact it can have prolonged states of being inverted etc. I believe those same lap restraints have been used on multi-inverting, launch and vertical drop coasters too? (Albeit all seperately). So all bets could be off.

I am not saying it will be this, but it could very well be.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Surely this is going to have to have large trains to help with capacity?

Unless its going to be a Thirteen styley: stop, gimmick, go.

Mark

Strata Poster

Martyn B said:
Surely this is going to have to have large trains to help with capacity?

Unless its going to be a Thirteen styley: stop, gimmick, go.

Or trains like Rip Ride Rocket and a conveyor belt style station? :p Or even Multi loading like Saw: The Ride.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I think the latter Mark (especially with it being a Gerstlauer :p ). It's got a lot of block sections too if this rumour is true.

Two loading in the station, first lift hill, MCBR before second lift hill, second lift hill and "secret bit" at least - so it's a fair number of sections to get a lot of trains on the track.

Mark

Strata Poster

furie said:
I think the latter Mark (especially with it being a Gerstlauer :p ). It's got a lot of block sections too if this rumour is true.

I remain ever hopeful it isn't :p (I agree it more than likely is, but its interesting looking at the other 'possibilities' and im not entirely convinced either way tbh)

Status
Not open for further replies.