What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Strata Poster
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown (Gestlauer?) World's 1st

Erm, not to throw a cat amongst a the pidgeons and dredge up this old discussion but, wasn't it Maurer Sohne that did a promo video showing how comfortable the trains & restraints. They had one of the XCar trains with people on a track and then rotated it upside down etc. The train was stationary on the track of course. :p

This isn't the original video I saw, but have a look from 1.14... Its the same thing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOAPSsCmJ-Q[/youtube]

PS. Only being half serious of course. Just thought it was an interesting development on the manufacturer discussion.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

Would be intresting, if the creepy, spiral face was infront of the car when doing that a maneuver. But who knows...

Ethan

Strata Poster

I really do hope it's Maurer though, always have. Still can't be certain about anything though! We'll have to wait ;)

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

I said it once but I do beleive this will be marketed as the worlds first TRUE 360 degree coaster. This contraption in the video that Mark found looks like dressed up with effects could work quite well. At least rumours and all that are starting to finally make this coaster more intresting now. Lets face it, 131 pages only because it's a secret weapon really.

Mark

Strata Poster

Oddly, I remember a promo video from years ago that showed the same thing but that was years ago when the XCar was a new thing. It was basically showing off the whole lap bars but still inverting and comfortable thing.

Given that it was years ago I'm surprised no one has done it before but reading that spoiler article reminded me of it straight away. I just wish I could the original video.

That notion coupled with the spiral grinning face thing and all that debate about the plans, the lift hill structure in those plans (similar to Rip Ride Rocket) and basically Maurer being one of the top possibilities. I would say I'm still not convinced that its Gertslauer yet.

Oooh, here's a thought. Imagine that kind of contraption with a Vekoma Madhouse style structure around it... That could be mind-bending!

scw55

Hyper Poster

You know the banners for the Coaster.
Think the position of the logos are relevant? Or is it just lovingly placed randomly and spinny aroundy-way.
---
Just caught up on the rest of the thread. Seems like it suggest what we see in the demo video...
It's like it's coming together.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Ben said:
Leads me to, why WOULD they break their own record?

There's the 11-inversion thing being built in China for next year. Not that anyone over here would know about it, but technically the record won't be the 10-inversion model anymore.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

3x going in one direction, 3x going the other...Maybe. World beating 14 inversions with the worlds first 360 degree element. I do beleive their is a 12 inversion coaster being built aswell.

Smithy

Strata Poster

If this is the hidden feature, then TowersTimes is going to get raped for revealing it, surely? Huge feature, can you imagine riding it if you didn't know that would happen, coupled with a rotating tube sort of thing and a glass floor above it all in the ride shop. Jesus.

Lul. Watch it be none of this at all.

Temleh

Mega Poster

Would the flips count as a 'proper' free rolling coaster inversion? It really is gimmicky just like beyond vertical drops being the 'steepest' when they're technically not etc.

EDIT: Just realised the 4D's flips are counted as inversions, so I guess this rumoured feature would count too.

marc

CF Legend

I was going to say that as well. For me it's in the grey area of what counts and what does not. The train will not be rolling so for me it's not a coaster inversion but your on a coaster lol all depends how you look at it. Alton will say what they want though anyway.

Mark

Strata Poster

Indeed. I always thought that the gimmick for Th13teen was tenuous tbh. Winjas has a 'dropping' section.

Either way, lets not all be getting any hopes up ay. Nothing is concrete at the moment and it is all guess work and piecing bits together where we THINK there is a pattern or evidence.

fretboardpyro

Mega Poster

Its definatley not a Maurer. It is definatley a Gerstlauer. Like I say having a chat with a senior Mech at AT confirmed this.

Smithy

Strata Poster

fretboardpyro said:
Its definatley not a Maurer. It is definatley a Gerstlauer. Like I say having a chat with a senior Mech at AT confirmed this.

Quoting these in case it's deleted in a few months time.

BBH

Giga Poster

So is this thing going to be a Eurofighter from the looks of it or a totally custom model?

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

BBH said:
So is this thing going to be a Eurofighter from the looks of it or a totally custom model?
Apparently it will be a stand euro-fighter car. Thats what I heard from "spin doctor" on towerstimes who may know tthe trie secrets behind SW7. But obvisouly can't reveal them.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Guys. Shut up. You have nothing to reveal and we don't want to know. Now can we please just stare at the mud until the coaster is announced fully... :roll:

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Love the shop idea from a creative perspective, but the filth and scratches will soon render it useless... Surely?

Not personally fan of roller coasters using controlled movements like flat rides, which is what this rumour sounds like. But from what we know of the theme, it's rather apt. It sounds cool, different, interesting, unexpected and very typically Alton weirdness, which is awesome.

I'm intrigued.

Status
Not open for further replies.