What's new

Alton Towers | The Smiler | Gerstlauer Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmac

Giga Poster
Re: Alton Towers | SW7 | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1st

Reminds me of the one forum trying to fly a remote control helicopter over Busch Gardens Williamsburg for construction pics of Verbolten. I mean I know that people want to know what's going on and all but methods like these are taking it just a little bit too far...

Smithy

Strata Poster

Ridiculously over the top and will probably piss off Alton no end. But I do quite like seeing parks from an aerial view and construction updates will add another level to that.

the king

Mega Poster

I have a image in my head, that everytime a helicopter comes near the site of SW7, the workers will have a large plastic sheet on standby to cover up the world's first part of the coaster. Dear oh dear.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

the king said:
I have a image in my head, that everytime a helicopter comes near the site of SW7, the workers will have a large plastic sheet on standby to cover up the world's first part of the coaster. Dear oh dear.
Of course they will. They'll keep it hidden and get it into the building and cover it again as quick as possible. The only they'll possibly see it is if they hide in a shrub now to next year (Proberly given them a idea now :roll: )

nadroJ

CF Legend

^Why do you people have such a hard time grasping the word proBABly, urgh <//3

Did they cover up the drop on Thirteen during construction? I don't actually remember?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

No, and they won't go out of their way to conceal this because money. And why bother? Goons will just spy on you with helicopters...

But it's location in the park just makes it easier to hide, from what I gather? Though I've never been up there in the winter to know.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Here's what I'm going to do!

I'm going to try to avoid discussions/proof about the "secret element" and ride it blind on opening day so I'm surprised and enjoy it with an open mind.

Speculation is great fun, but it's not as good as enjoying and discovering a rollercoaster for the first time.

nadroJ

CF Legend

So true Ian, might try and do the same! Must stay away from this topic!

Ethan

Strata Poster

I would also join, but... Effort. Won't get to ride it until July anyways </3

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

If this was a coaster where we already knew everything, then I'd happily join in with the discussion and try to get photos of construction through the trees or from the CF-Coptor.

I guess I compare discovering the secret element before riding it is similar to knowing how a film ends before you see it, or watching the ending of a computer game on YouTube without killing the final boss.

It's not often a new coaster is built where there'll be a world's first, completely secret element to it; I want to enjoy the anticipation and excitment of riding it right up to the moment I'm climbing up the lift hill for the first time.

Don't get me wrong, it's fair enough to know what the element is and then get excited about how the experiencewill be, but I genuinely want it to surprise me. No spoilers! Horses for courses.

Mark

Strata Poster

The issue there would be that Alton could quite possibly spoil it for you...

When Th13teen it was all supposed to be a hush hush secret element but even if you did manage to avoid all spoilers of the drop section the element of surprise was totally destroyed by the park themselves. They ended up showing the 'secret' element, firstly in the adverts and secondly in the mahoosive poster that was at the entrance of the monorail and main entrance.

I do hope, if they fully intend for this to be a surprise and the like, they don't just go and show in the adverts etc... I too would like to be a surprised, but im not convinced that avoiding spoilers online is going to make the blindest bit of difference...

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

Mark said:
When Th13teen it was all supposed to be a hush hush secret element but even if you did manage to avoid all spoilers of the drop section the element of surprise was totally destroyed by the park themselves. They ended up showing the 'secret' element, firstly in the adverts and secondly in the mahoosive poster that was at the entrance of the monorail and main entrance.

This. It was really a shame. I know they want to entice people to ride it for that drop, but they could have advertised it in so many different ways without spoiling.

Nic

Strata Poster

Mark's right. I'd forgotten about that (#justforian). They also allowed GMTV to broadcast a full POV the day before opening, so quite a few people had actually seen it all the way through anyway. Yet another thing to add to the list of balls ups that was Firt33n's marketing.

Montario

Roller Poster

I WOULD mind a little bit if Alton themsleves ruin the surprise but the one thing I hope won't happen is that the ride will break down and close for the remainder of the day. A bit off topic, but that would be my priority concern.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

Montario said:
I WOULD mind a little bit if Alton themsleves ruin the surprise but the one thing I hope won't happen is that the ride will break down and close for the remainder of the day. A bit off topic, but that would be my priority concern.
*cough Saw cough gerstlauer cough*

Prepare for break downs my friend :wink:

Montario

Roller Poster

^I was going to refer SAW, but i didn't want people to kill me for comparing this coaster what many people hope will not be another SAW. :wink: I don't mind if it breaks down a few times, what I don't want to happen is the shutting down of the coaster all together for the remainder of the day.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Saw seems to be the only Gerstlauer that constantly dies though...

Maybe cos it's Thorpe, maybe because of the complexity of the two car station system it has... God knows...

But it's unfair to write this off as unreliable because of Saw...

Nic

Strata Poster

Whilst the direct link still works, none of the searches I've done have shown up The Smiler on the IPO website. I'll be amazed if they haven't filed the smiley face logo on there somewhere considering they've already started using it in anger. It's annoying that I can't find it.

Krazycoaster

Roller Poster

From the air!
IMG_3967.JPG

Alton are already in agreement with the helicopter company and the photo takers; the sceret weapon will be blurred out of photos before they are uploaded.

sean

Mega Poster

Krazycoaster said:
Alton are already in agreement with the helicopter company and the photo takers; the sceret weapon will be blurred out of photos before they are uploaded.

So, why on earth would Towers Times spend a load of money on blurred out aerial photos? More money than sense if you ask me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.