What's new

Alton Towers Latest Rumours/confirmations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Dave said:
Well I was reading somewhere that rides in the future could be recycled back into new rides, so what if they just built a ride recycled from another one (i.e. Corkscrew) worlds first Recycled roller coaster, for the new 'green' world. Its a long shot, as it could make a baby coaster ;)

There's a recycled coaster up in Scotland somewhere isn't there?

A

Anonymous

i dont get y theyre putting in a aquarium at mutiny bay :/ but oh well

if theyre moving the ug swinger then does that mean the ride replacing corkscrew cud b biggish?

gonna miss the corkscrew :(

#pmbo

Roller Poster
uuummmm... all of that has already been said. I don't blame you for not reading 40 pages of comments though.
I think that the aquarium may be good for the park. I imagine that the majority of Alton Towers' gate receipts come from families, so they have to add attractions that are suitable for families. If they don't then they will probably lose the majority of their customers.
As for SW6, I think that it doesn't have to be big, all it could do is just go around the ug swinger and corkscrew site and still be a world's first that will bring in more customers. It would also be able to stay underneath the tree-line.
All we can do is wait...

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
#pmbo said:
As for SW6, I think that it doesn't have to be big, all it could do is just go around the ug swinger and corkscrew site and still be a world's first that will bring in more customers. It would also be able to stay underneath the tree-line.
All we can do is wait...

Hmm Im sorry I don't agree with you here, 1st of all all SW have been BIG, (Not in the sense of ride size but brings something new to the table)
Just look at all of the SW

SW3: Nemesis
SW4: Oblivion
SW5: Air
SW6: Guess

If you look at each one of them, they have set a trend you can easily see in the amusment park industry.

Nemesis: It may not have been the first Inverted Coaster but it was the first Inverted coaster to make everybody follow suit and want an inverted coaster.

Oblivion: Only recently can you see that every park wants either a dive coaster or a Euro Fighter....

Air: Again the same as Nemesis, it wasn't the first Flying coaster but it was the first one to make people relise the potential of the flying coaster because the technology used was far better than the Vekoma Lie-down coaster...

Which is why I firmly believe IF Alton Towers are going to be using the whole SW codename then it will be something big.

IMO

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Off the topic of SW... Alton have announced the new Director General of Alton to replace Russell Barnes.

The aptly named Ian Crabbe is moving from Sea Life in Birmingham to run the show... I suspect that Alton may become somewhat fishy in the future :p

Ben

CF Legend
Nemesis: It may not have been the first Inverted Coaster but it was the first Inverted coaster to make everybody follow suit and want an inverted coaster.

Um, I wouldn't say that... Flight Deck and a number of Batman The Rides had opened before Nemesis... and the next non-Batman Invert didn't appear for another two years (Montu) and it's after THAT they become more common.

Oblivion: Only recently can you see that every park wants either a dive coaster or a Euro Fighter....

Um... apart from the clone no-one bought another Dive Machine for 7 years. So... no to that one as well. So either it took a chunk of a decade for people to go "oh... I want an Oblivion", or it was never really a direct result of Oblivion being built.

Air: Again the same as Nemesis, it wasn't the first Flying coaster but it was the first one to make people relise the potential of the flying coaster because the technology used was far better than the Vekoma Lie-down coaster...

No... it was really more Superman that did that. Well, the majority of Flyers either are Superman clones, or built by Six Flags, who obviously built the Superman clones. The only one that Air could really have 'inspired' would be Manta, which shares more in common with Tatsu and Superman...

I mean, that's not denying they are BIG, but to say they were the reasons more of those coasters were built, I don't buy into.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Agree with pretty much everything you said-Oblivion was called a one trick pony and disapeared until a few years ao with BG, air was only the first B&M flyer, basically an inverted flying dutchman-start under the track, so inversions gp under, over, under, not the otherway round like on FD coasters, and it was built for the flying experince, not forces and thrills. Nemesis was only built because Wardley rode Batman. AT had to sign a deal to allow themselves and Six Flags to both own an inverted.
AT's rides didn't start any trends off, inverts were in demand, which was why SF were reluctant to let anyone else build one-they wanted it as their own, Dive machines took years to catch on, and air is massively different to all other flyers, be them B&M or Vekoma.
Juat because AT brought the ride types to the attention of the public, doesn't mean it started a big trend

Blaze

Hyper Poster
It's funny because it's true.
Ladies and gentlemen we have found a new Jack Dee!

Ok moving on...

There isn't much that the ride could be, unless the worlds first is just a first variant (like air was first B&M to simulate flight, and Oblivion was first Dive Machine) and not a true worlds first, or in a small niche or unsignificant way-SAW:The Ride anybody? Worlds first horror movie themed ride?

#pmbo

Roller Poster
Insane said:
1st of all all SW have been BIG, (Not in the sense of ride size but brings something new to the table)
Sorry, I actually meant size when I said "big."
I was saying that SW6 doesn't need to last 5 minutes to be a world's first, so maybe they might build another Oblivion in terms of size. It would bring the customers in, like Oblivion, and it would fit into a small amount of space, like Oblivion.
As for the cost...
Nemesis - £10 million
Oblivion - £12 million
Air - £12 million
(According to towers times)
SW6 - £12 million (is that right?)
So I don't know what to think in terms of... well, everything!

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
Alton Towers new divisional director named!

Quote:
After several years as Divisional Director at Alton Towers, Russell Barnes will very soon be leaving to become Divisional Director of Midway Development. Russell will be looking after new attraction openings of Merlin's Midway brands - including Sea Life, Lego Discovery, Dungeons and Madame Tussauds. We wish Russell all the very best in his new role, and hope he keeps in tune with what is going on at Alton Towers - after he has obviously been pivotal in laying the foundations for 2009 and 2010 - and possibly beyond.

As for his replacement, Ian Crabbe, currently of the National Sea Life Centre in Birmingham, will be moving onto Towers Street. We hope that Mr. Crabbe proves to be an asset to the resort, and has the vision to steer the park into the future. It could be an exciting few years for Alton Towers, and with a clear head and ideas - there's nothing more rewarding than seeing 3 million smiling guests going through the gates every year.

We wish Mr. Crabbe all the best in his new role at Alton Towers!

For more info go to: http://forum.towerstimes.co.uk/viewtopi ... =1&t=22566

Slash

Giga Poster
Please let him be intelligent, please! Don't let him ruin Alton, if he doesn't, I don't mind the change.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Wont know if he is good for a while, Barns is leaving his legasy-SW6, Sea life, sky ride, Cred street-all coming developments implemented by Barns.

The new guy won't be able to change much with so much going on.

A

Anonymous

Breaking News: Staffordsire Moorlands District Council have now received a planning application from Alton Towers for a "replacement rollercoaster, erection of station buildings and landscaping works".

This is widely believed to be the first application made for the Corkscrew replacement, which is scheduled to open in 2010.

So planning permission has been applied for. I've looked at the plans and it looks like SW6 will take up a lot of space from the old Corkcscrew site, but will also go into the woods behind Ug Land

EDIT: Here is the link to the planning details - Link

Status
Not open for further replies.