What's new

What's on TV?

clecktown

Roller Poster
I agree with Blaze, I'm a bit gutted about Frankie leaving Mock The Week.
I'd like to see Jon Richardson guest some time, but I'm not sure if he's still a bit unfriendly with Russell.

mrclam

Giga Poster
furie said:
RollerCoasterFanatic said:
Well the new season of House started the other day and it's a really good show. It's on Mondays. I love it to death.

I've just started watching it, and it's just Star Trek in a hospital.

Pre credits: Dramatic disaster
Post credits: Focus on some lame inter character story
Ten mins in: Discover disaster and make hypothesis as to what it can be
Next 20 mins: lots of techno -mumbo-jumbo attempts to sort out disaster
Thirty mins in: Make disaster worse by trying the wrong things.
5 mins before end: Sudden brainwave and some techno-mumbo-jumo solves disaster.
Final 1 minute: Wrap up the inter character bit from before.

All these 45 minute dramas work on pretty much exactly the same formula. No matter what characters you put into them, they always end up being bland by nature. I do laugh at some of the lines Hugh Laurie gets (and I do like Hugh Laurie), but I'm finding it a bit tedious. It's higher quality tedium than usual, and I am also a Star Trek fan so it's not a bad thing - it's just not outstanding TV. It's the TV equivalent of mashed potatoes.

I agree with you.

And I was totally uninterested in the show.. Then last seaon i watched a couple of episodes just out of boredom at the end of the series..

.. and they started to take it down a REALLY interesting route - completely chnaging the format of everything.

Then the first episodes of this season aired and it was like a breath of fresh air.

Im hoping they keep this up and dont fall back into the same old same old terrioty.

Dont want to "do an ollie" here.. so i'll explain in spoiler tags

Basically house was taking pain killers for his leg. He becomes addicted to them, and eventually starts hallucinating dead people. This comes to a head when he hallucinates sleeping with his transexual boss and decides to tell the whole hospital about it.

The whole of the final episodes in the season with him coming to terms with and realising he was a nut job came pretty much out of nowhere. And as a viewer were quite shocking

This season opened up with a 2 hour special of him in a mental institute... It had quite possibly the most harrowing depiction of going cold turkey i'd seen on a tv show - and shows hugh laurrie to be a great actor. Watching someone sqwirm on a bed covered in his only urine isnt something i thought i'd see on the ever so sensitive american tv.

Where it goes from here is anyones guess. Im hoping it DOESNT fall back into the same old boring formula. If it does - i'll just make my House viewings to be the last few episodes of a season and the first few.

Be like watching a british series, say 6 episodes in total .. while ignoring all the boring fluff.

kimahri

CF Legend
House is only good because the main character looks like Gordon Freeman and should play as him if there was a Half Life Live action movie.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Watched the first episode (first hour) of the new House series last night actually. Really enjoyed it, which was a shock. Brilliant rejig of the show format. Both myself and Madame_Furie were shocked by it :)

Actually can't wait to see the concluding part!

nealbie

CF Legend
House is an amusing game. I quite like it, there's something different and grown up about Laurie in it, of which I approve! :)

peep

CF Legend
Watched the second episode of Flashforward earlier. I'm liking it, it has a good pace, it's fast and a lot seems to happen in one episode.

mrclam

Giga Poster
furie said:
Watched the first episode (first hour) of the new House series last night actually. Really enjoyed it, which was a shock. Brilliant rejig of the show format. Both myself and Madame_Furie were shocked by it :)

Actually can't wait to see the concluding part!

Told ya!

Although it only took 4 episodes for them to return to the exact same formula again.. So no i've grown tired of it.. will return to it 4 episodes from the end...

big john

Mega Poster
dont really watch that much tv tbh I mostly download stuff iv missed or use iplayer i have however been watching flash forward at good up to now but it could go ether way we will see lol. Also been watching ross nobles trip acros australia on channel 5 it started 2 weeks ago and its really funny im a fan of noble to so that helps.

I watched house with my friend the other day, and I don't know why I haven't ever watched the series. I've seen a few episodes here and there, and I really like them, but I've just never brought myself to watch it. But now, maybe I will.

LAST NIGHT'S EPISODE OF GLEE WAS SO WICKED, the mashups were awesome, and for those that watch it, I SOOO WANT WILL TO TELL THE GUIDANCE COUNSELLOR THAT HE LIKES HER AND GET RID OF HIS NASTY WIFE!

Grr. TV makes me furious sometimes.

Ben

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
LAST NIGHT'S EPISODE OF GLEE WAS SO WICKED, the mashups were awesome, and for those that watch it, I SOOO WANT WILL TO TELL THE GUIDANCE COUNSELLOR THAT HE LIKES HER AND GET RID OF HIS NASTY WIFE!

OMG, the mash-ups were so insanely utterly amazing, I LOVED THEM!

Kristin last week doing Maybe This Time with Rachel was a LITTLE better, but OMFFG

GLLLEEE

^ Yah Kristen was good, but the mashups are actually some of my favourites, aside from Don't Stop Believin' and Take a Bow.. Which are probably on par with the mashups now that I think about it. I think I preferred the guys one better, but I actually do wish Rachel would have done Halo alone, sans a mashup, because her voice would make it sound incredible.

At the end when Will and the one girl (for some reason I can't think of her name.. the guidance girl) were in the hall and were totally about to say the liked eachother, I literally like, smacked the couch when they just kept walking along in the hall, UGH. PISSED ME OFF! And I will feel bad for Ken if she leaves him, he's such a peach.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^The guidance counsellor is an annoying whore. The wife, however, is awesome, but not as awesome as the cheerleading coach.

That is all.

Wait, no it isn't. The queeny fag is annoying, too.

Bitter

Mega Poster
Only one mention of the Daily Show makes me sad.

More4 weekdays at 8.30. The last bastion of sanity.

Lain

Giga Poster
Currently I am watching the newest seaons of:

The Big Bang Theory
Castle
Dollhouse
House

Yay for me.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Just bought 'The Cult of Cartman' DVD boxset, which includes the great episode "Cartmanland" in which Cartman inherits his grandma's cash & buys a theme park :p

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Lain said:
Currently I am watching the newest seaons of:

The Big Bang Theory
Castle
Dollhouse
House

Yay for me.

Good man.

I'm going through Castle. I got behind on Dollhouse in season 1 and never caught up-- but I'll get there sometime.

Castle is still the best thing going now as far as I'm concerned.

Recently I've gotten into watching NCIS. I haven't tried to watch the new ones playing now yet, I've just stuck to seasons 1-6. I've now seen 90 of them, which is 65% or so. So I'm slowly getting to completing the list. That's a fantastic show too... right up there with Castle.

Mit deLuxe

Hyper Poster
Watching:

The Vampire Diaries even though it's not out in the UK just yet.

FlashForward....It's cool and all but there isn't that many twists in it to keep me interested..

Lost... Re watching all of them so I will be ready for the final season!