What's new

Thorpe's New MTDP

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
Looks absolutely vile.

It'll be nice to think that much more themeing will be added throughout the season,but as it stands at the moment,it's just a "plonk down" addition.

It gets a zero on the interested rating from me.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Oh dear. That's awful, I can't even imagine it being mildly exciting to ride either. It looks worse than all of the Jippo rides at my local fair! :(

Meh, it is Thorpe. But that's too LOW! It should die.

Ollie

CF Legend
Inverse said:
One was taken on in nice bright Florida conditions, from an angle that hides most of the supports. The other was taken in Surrey, in early march, when the building vehicles tire tracks are still visable. It's a poor picture photo-quality wise.
I know that but still. When it was in Cypress Gardens it was much more colourful and had a lot of greenery around it. It even had a station with a roof. Thorpe have just plonked it in the middle of the park where it looks stupid. They have plenty of room around the edge of the park they could have put it. It just seems like a bad decision as it doesn't fit in with Amity Cove at all.

They thought painting it to look rusty would make it look better but it just makes it look loads worse. What they should have done is replaced Depth Charge with it and put it on some artificial hill. That way it's a new ride that looks nice and colourful as you enter the park, the hill would cover the supports and it would look like it's actually meant to be there as it winds down a nice grass hill.

Thorpe haven't even bothered to cover the station which looks stupid.

Tim

Roller Poster
198546_1774944126242_1018499149_32047096_1182481_n.jpg

Why does this one have three, possibly even four boats on the lift hill at the same time?

All today there was at most, two boats on the hill, and even then it was with one leaving at the top just as one was starting

Seems like unless they figure out this loading thing, they aint going to be getting much more than about 450pph

Tomatron

Giga Poster
It was so slow in Cypress Gardens you got a decent tan going up. But I doubt you'd get that in Thorpe Park.

You might get mugged.

tks

Strata Poster
I did see a sign that said you might get paired up if you were in groups of two or three to reduce loading times.

Judging by Thorpe's clientele I think i'd give it a miss!

Lofty

CF Legend
Ew. It does actually look vile. I've not heard anything good apart from "It spins well". They should have just bought one of them new Mack Spinning Water Ride things. Costs less and looks less hideous.

Also, the massive concrete barriers near the end of the ride looks ridiculous.

Mark

Strata Poster
Well technically it wouldn't have been free though.

There is ground work, fencing, 'theming', signage and all that other guff that costs money too :p

Still, its cheaper then buying something new...

Nic

Strata Poster
AlienSpeedFiend said:
you can't polish a turd
Yes you can ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI[/youtube]

Storm Drain still looks crap though.

kir

Hyper Poster
Considering the ride was free for TP and the absolute bare minimum they've put into theming I'd actually say this ride is temporary. Much like Detonator and Zodiac were before they became popular and TP decided to play keepsies. I would imagine it will go in 5 years or so. Probably along with X. No sweat.

Nic

Strata Poster
I know they didn't have to purchase the actual ride, but the cost of the relocation would've set them back a bit. I know its a different situation, but the reason LWV have a new pirate ship is because it was actually cheaper to buy a 2nd hand one than it was to relocate their existing one a couple of hundred yards across a field. I know that with Storm Surge there's no massive pieces like with a pirate ship - it would pack up into boxes and get plonked on the back of a ship. But even so, I think it'll probably have cost them more than it first looks.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'd be really interested to find out how many creative choices are made by a Thorpe team as opposed to Merlin Studios, and how much free run they get. I hope, I truly hope, some higher team is crunching numbers and telling them they cant do this and that and that's why Storm Surge is such a state. (Or, even existing.) No doubt it'll be popular, but for how long with insane queue times will people tolerate it?

EDIT: As for it being temporary, I guess that depends on popularity. As was mentioned with Detonator, it seemed that it became popular so they decided to keep it (and were at one point considering a SECOND tower...).

But what surprised me is that Det must still be popular. They introduced ORP this year?! That idea is SO alien to me that we dismissed the idea that the cameras surrounding it being ORP, and concluded they MUST be security! LOL. I always thought that the public don't really care much for Detonator.

I'd love to do some kind of questionnaire on the GP at Thorpe. Is that...legal? lol.