What's new

Skyrush closure 2013 | Update page 11

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
Re: Skyrush is closed for this season:

_koppen said:
I thought the discomfort was caused by extreme stapling?

The big issue is that the restraints move downward during the ride, so yes, in a way. The locking system is absolute poopballs, while I think the restraint design itself is alright. I noticed tightness and some pain on the brakes, but that was it. So I made sure to not touch the bar on the ride, and it barely moved. So the problem is in the restraint locking when people lean on it.

P.S.: The station configuration is the best it can be, everybody, so don't expect there to be any changes to that. There's really no room for two side offloading, unless they were to remove sections of Comet.

This will be almost undisputed as a fantastic ride if they fix the train problems.

Intamin, please be more careful when making new things.

bmac

Giga Poster

7908006hsh343dgp5doieq.jpg

There's enough room.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster

bmac said:
7908006hsh343dgp5doieq.jpg

There's enough room.

Not for the ride ops or the exit stairs or the bins, there isn't. Also, the train sticks off the track and cuts off a bit more station. It would be pretty damned cramped on that side.

bmac

Giga Poster

Guess that's what happens when they jam the maintenance bay into a good chunk of the station. The capacity is noticeably more horrible than other rides in the current set-up, I'd say close to 3/4s if not half the real capacity.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

They could easily have had a stairs crossing over the platform.

Or maybe, ya know, just have built the whole damn thing just a few feet away from Comet...

I really, really want to know why they didn't foresee the station configuration being a problem or, if they did, what stopped them preventing it. I hope there's a reason.

The poor capacity (if it really is that bad) is in part the slow loading/unloading due to the poor station layout and in part due to the seating configuration. During the one ride that we queued for, I saw two seats per row go empty several times. And I witnessed the same thing on Diamondback and Intimidator. People want to sit together. This ridiculous seating configuration doesn't entice people to even fight for the outer seats like you might expect. People in groups of 2 choose to sit in the middle seats leaving the outer seats empty all the time.

And the worst part is, it was **** obvious long before any of these rides were built that it would be an issue.

I bet that the B&M ones have a significantly lower throughput than the coasters with standard trains do. Skyrush is probably about the same, if not a little better, than other Intamin mega coasters... But with 4 abreast seating, it should be better.

None of this is helped by the fact that Hersheypark has dire operations anyway. Staff seem to recheck bars often, have no sense of urgency and operator announcements do nothing to tame the public.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Joey said:
I bet that the B&M ones have a significantly lower throughput than the coasters with standard trains do. Skyrush is probably about the same, if not a little better, than other Intamin mega coasters... But with 4 abreast seating, it should be better.

None of this is helped by the fact that Hersheypark has dire operations anyway. Staff seem to recheck bars often, have no sense of urgency and operator announcements do nothing to tame the public.

Thank you. So many people talk up Hersheypark. I agree that the operations are horrid, and have thought that since my first visit years ago.

The B&M wing coasters or the new hyper trains? The new hyper trains were regularly pushing 1400 to 1600 people through at Kings Island. I don't know about the others.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

^Not to totally derail the discussion but the worst operations of any park I'be been too is Port Aventura. Great park, horrible operations.

On topic I agree with Joey. People just sit in the middle two and leave the wings open. That crushes capacity.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

The problem with the restraints can be seen in this picture:

guik50c09r9000h9sdrd8f.jpg

The entire light blue foam section should be resting flat on the riders' thighs, much like a B&M clamshell restraint. You can clearly see that it doesn't. If about 3-5 inches from the main 'arm' of the restraint was removed and the elbow opened up about 30 degrees, the restraints would sit a lot flatter and ultimately be more comfortable.

As for the station platform, behind that wall on the ride op side of the platform is the ride's computer system. If the computers are removed, the platform would be large enough to allow for unloading on that side. The ride engineer we talked to during our ERT session on the Live stated that they were looking at relocating all the computers to fix said problem.

Intricks

Strata Poster

I come back from the park with news as to why Skyrush is closed!

36 axels with stress fractures due to the crunch, a turn and the rapid angle of decent from station to lift. Expectations for the ride to reopen are set for the summer. Off season work will include a needed station change (no mention on what all will be changing on that), another possible restraint change, and possible slowing of lift hill speed.

bmac

Giga Poster

Still laughing at simply how fast that lift hill was. WELP thankfully that'll be the only thing that gets neutered!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

rollermonkey said:
Joey said:

Thank you. So many people talk up Hersheypark. I agree that the operations are horrid, and have thought that since my first visit years ago.

The B&M wing coasters or the new hyper trains? The new hyper trains were regularly pushing 1400 to 1600 people through at Kings Island. I don't know about the others.
The new hyper trains. I'm glad to hear they do pull a normal B&M throughput. Cedar Fair operations are some of the best on top of that.

The B&M wing coasters seem to have slow loading, but not slow enough to make me worried.

I love Hersheypark, it is my favourite park and thankfully I've never been when their terrible operations mattered, but there's no denying it. And, I hate to be cruel, but there's a HELL of a lot of old people working there. And they are sooooooooooo slllllllooooooooooooooow. And WHY do they recheck bars?

Portaventura is also the worst operations I've seen. But that's Spain for you. An entire population with no sense of urgency.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Intricks said:

36 axels with stress fractures due to the crunch, a turn and the rapid angle of decent from station to lift. Expectations for the ride to reopen are set for the summer. Off season work will include a needed station change (no mention on what all will be changing on that), another possible restraint change, and possible slowing of lift hill speed.

I hope they don't slow down the lift lift-hill. That lift hill made the ride's intense layout and just SO MUCH AIRTIME in the back row.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Well they really **** up then.

Gazza

Giga Poster

Or maybe, ya know, just have built the whole damn thing just a few feet away from Comet...
This!!!!
http://www.rcdb.com/10089.htm?p=36475
knia2aj4efc9r9000mrrsl.jpg

I mean, the ride has a big midway area to the side of it, so when they designed it they could have just shifted the station across by 2m so you can exit on the other side.
No excuse for anyone not being able to see that.[/architect]

Intricks

Strata Poster

Youngster Joey said:
Intricks said:

I hope they don't slow down the lift lift-hill. That lift hill made the ride's intense layout and just SO MUCH AIRTIME in the back row.

Considering I305s lift is slower and you get pretty strong floater in the back, slowing down the lift speed for a 16 ton train (empty mind you) will still provide strong floater in the back. They are at least looking at options that dont involve trimming the ride to death (305).

They are going to have to fix the lift hill though. Apparently in the month they were testing it, that was the worst issue. Walt told me that while they were installing the lift, they were beating it into place as best they could.

Nick P

Mega Poster

Intricks said:
Considering I305s lift is slower and you get pretty strong floater in the back, slowing down the lift speed for a 16 ton train (empty mind you) will still provide strong floater in the back. They are at least looking at options that dont involve trimming the ride to death (305).

They are going to have to fix the lift hill though. Apparently in the month they were testing it, that was the worst issue. Walt told me that while they were installing the lift, they were beating it into place as best they could.

If they were to add trims the only reasonable place would be after the Stengel Dive. From that point on the ride plain out hurts. I'm not sure if it would help much if the trims(after the Stengel dive) were located after the three most forceful parts of the ride, but at least it's something.

Slowing down the lift maybe 4-5ish MPH sounds fine. Not much airtime would be effected IMO. Much better solution then adding trims.

That being said, I personally think Intamin needs to rethink the entire design of the trains; restraints, wheels, and all. It's not the most cost friendly solution, but I would rather have Hershey Park spend the money on fixing Skyrush than on some other flat ride/ attraction, ect, ect.

Intricks

Strata Poster

The three 7g crunches the train deals with before the Stengal are where trims should be added if they are considered.

Why? Because the way the wheels were designed and put together for this ride were to trim it down to about 45 mph by the time it hits the stengal. I believe they said it is still hitting around 55 by the final turn into the brake run.

bmac

Giga Poster

From what I've seen myself the trains lose very little speed by the final bunny hills, by the looks of the ride you'd think the trains would be moving about 10-15 mph slower than they actually are.

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Didn't Tatsu run a lot faster than planned, and B&M fixed it by changing the wheels?

Couldn't something similar to that be done on this?

bmac

Giga Poster

_koppen said:
Didn't Tatsu run a lot faster than planned, and B&M fixed it by changing the wheels?

Couldn't something similar to that be done on this?

If I remember right Tatsu only ran a few seconds faster than it should've throughout its layout and they did use a different wheel to slow the circuit time down to what they planned. Whether Intamin has done this to Skyrush or not to try and slow it down I have no clue.