What's new

Skyrush closure 2013 | Update page 11

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Re: Skyrush is closed for this season:

There is no denying wheel wear - that is a standard reality of regular operation. Full axel failure though? That sort of scenario is drastic, and a bit hard to believe without further proof.

I would imagine skyrush's reason for closing lies in he middle; wheels and move components had been wearing quicker than anticipated.

Nic

Strata Poster

Hixee said:
There's just something about:
It has been discovered that nearly all of the axles that the wheels of the train are attached to have failed in some way, requiring major off-season work to the ride to repair and correct the issue.
That doesn't sound right to me. Obviously I don't know, but having it got that far before they noticed something - and it happened so severely to so many axles just doesn't add up to me.
Indeed. If it does turn out to be related to the axles, I would imagine it's far more likely that there were a higher than expected number of failures leading to what would basically amount to a recall of the part. Well, something along those lines anyway. Of course, this is just me adding to the speculation.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Intricks said:
Heavier trains plus a 7g range crunch on those axels has to have had SOME form of wear on them.
I'm not denying they're being stressed highly, I'm saying that multiple axles don't fail 'at once'.
Nic said:
Hixee said:
There's just something about:
It has been discovered that nearly all of the axles that the wheels of the train are attached to have failed in some way, requiring major off-season work to the ride to repair and correct the issue.
That doesn't sound right to me. Obviously I don't know, but having it got that far before they noticed something - and it happened so severely to so many axles just doesn't add up to me.
Indeed. If it does turn out to be related to the axles, I would imagine it's far more likely that there were a higher than expected number of failures leading to what would basically amount to a recall of the part. Well, something along those lines anyway. Of course, this is just me adding to the speculation.
Bingo.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Multiple axles fail all at once if they weren't fabricated up to specification at the start. I'm hearing the current subsidiary / contractor Intamin has building the trains in Eastern Europe somewhere, named Sakotra or some such, may have been the cause of this.

Hyde244 said:
The "believed" reason for the barrel roll removal was indeed because of excessive forces, more so for the rate the wheel's wear than rider comfort. Again, I say believed, because CP has never said!

Not wheel wear, from all I'd heard, but rather excessive stresses on the linkages between cars

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Joey said:
Serious question though, why does it always seem to be Intamin?

Cause they are the only ones who build a ride as awesome as Skyrush?

We can also be sure that Hershey park has expected some problems with this ride the first season.
You just don't go to Intamin asking for a top 5 ride, with new prototype trains, and expect it to run without problems the first year.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

I think there's a two-part answer to that.

1-Intamin push boundaries more often than other manufacturers. As _koppen says, long-term ride mechanics on a new ride-type are un-tested and you get problems

2-However, Intamin must also have a lower threshold of signing off standards. B&M (to my knowledge) haven't had anywhere near as many teething problems with it's (albeit fewer) prototype rides. Maybe a bit with Air. But no deaths, mechanical failures....

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

Late entrance to the topic, but these failures that are rumored might not be the types of failure that everybody is thinking about. Instead of complete cracking/breaking, the failures could be microscopic cracks or defects that can only be seen under an electron microscope. If what Rollermonkey said is true, it's a materials selection problem. The manufacturer is either doing their manufacturing wrong or ordering the wrong material, or the foundry is making some poor alloys.

My personal opinion - it sounds like it's multiple issues; not necessarily pressing, but enough to warrant a jumpstart on maintenance.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Antinos said:
Late entrance to the topic, but these failures that are rumored might not be the types of failure that everybody is thinking about. Instead of complete cracking/breaking, the failures could be microscopic cracks or defects that can only be seen under an electron microscope.
Those were the sort of failures I was thinking of. ;) I guess I just disbelieved that all the axles could be experiencing the same problems. I feel like something would have been picked up somewhere during design/manufacture.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Honestly if they can get the restraints go lay flat on your legs like you can clearly see they are intended too I don't care how early it closes or how long it's down (up to over a a year and a half would be a little overboard to me)

bmac

Giga Poster

This:
f9u6lug7uk0012gk8p0rc6.jpg

Instead of this:
552422_10151253189229357_692999653_n.jpg

and it should be fine come opening in 2013.

*if you cannot see what I mean by this Intamin needs to make the harnesses have more contact with the thighs, like what's been discussed elsewhere on these forums.

I really hope that they are also changing the station configuration for next year, too. I can't imagine how much the capacity will improve without having to have people wait until the previous riders have left the station. Shouldn't cause much change either, those nifty loose article bins can just be moved to the other side.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

The pinch point of Intamin's harnesses is indeed a cause for the discomfort. The more contact the restraints have with the rider - the better.

Snoo

The Legend

Bmac.. thats basically what it is.. just at the wrong angle.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Snoo said:
Bmac.. thats basically what it is.. just at the wrong angle.

No, the angle is perfect for keeping you secured in your seat whilst you ride ;)

The problem is where the bar sits, on the thigh rather than higher into the waist area. So they have to be at the angle they are to secure you, it's just that they obviously didn't test the strain on thighs at the negative forces Skyrush puts you under.

Across the waist is the answer Intamin!!!

_koppen

Hyper Poster

I thought the discomfort was caused by extreme stapling?

Edit: I meant extra stapling during the ride itself, not by operation staff.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

^The stapling+low surface area of the restraint on your body+High negative G's = Skyrush's issue in terms of pain. At least that's how I see it.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Mysterious Sue said:
It can't just be the stapling because the restraint tightens as you go round anyway

It's still stapling, just not manual stapling g

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2