What's new

Skyrush closure 2013 | Update page 11

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
So, why? I have heard rumors about the restraints and a reprofiling or simple mechanical problems they need to work out, etc., etc. Does anyone have any info on what exactly is going on?

Though this thread started out as a simple question in the Q&A forum, it has turned into a discussion thread over the cause of Skyrush's early closure, and is more befitting for the News & Rumors forum. It has been moved accordingly. - Hyde244

bmac

Giga Poster
Re: Skyrush is closed for this season:

Not that I know of, Hersheypark just pulled the plug a few days ago.

Snippet from an Email I received from their online board manager:
Skyrush will not be operating during Hersheypark in The Dark this year. We had originally anticipated that it would, however that is no longer the case, thus the information on our website.

site referenced:
http://www.halloweeninhershey.com/hersh ... /rides.php

My best guess would be that they're getting the train overhauls done early. We'll see why in the coming days since All American Thrills was all over this ride since it was announced, I'm sure they'll post pictures or at least confirm what is happening.

bmac

Giga Poster

Youngster Joey said:
So they are going to remake the trains instead of just adding more padding?

And that's why I'm not even too sure about the train overhaul rumor.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Current rumor that seems most true is an axle broke on one of the trains.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster

Intricks said:

How is that the one that seems most true? I hope it's...well, not true.

Smithy

Strata Poster

What's actually up with it? Like, not the reason why they've shut it but is there something about the layout or something that they've got wrong that's been in the public domain for a while, or is it all just news atm?

nadroJ

CF Legend

^surely you've heard about the restraints? Basically, the restraints are a weird design, and because of the really forceful ejector airtime they cut into your legs, really painful and uncomfortable and there's been a rumour that the restraints are going to be changed.

Intricks

Strata Poster

IntaminToWin said:
Intricks said:

How is that the one that seems most true? I hope it's...well, not true.

Well, I have heard a few rumors that involve the teack (least likely), the restraints getting a completd overhaul into a new OTSR design (maybe true, but not enough evidence supporting a new version of the OTSR) and the axle breaking (which has more of a base).

Granted, this is all heresay, but if they were just doing a restraint overhaul they would be running it still. None of the guys that go there daily have seen any form of issue involving the track. That leaves a broken train as the top runner.

Hershey hasnt publicly announced anything yet, but Skyrush has effectively done a SoB. It doesnt exist according to the park and isnt there (it is all a fancy illusion). It isnt showing up on the app, they've pulled advertising for it (Skyrush/My Rush = Hersheypark) and the promotional image they've been using no longer has Skyrush on it.

I will surely be posting more as the news filters in from employees that work there as well.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Didn't ECG talk to the gentleman when we were at Hershey and he said they weren't going to do OTSR?

Smithy

Strata Poster

nadroJ said:
^surely you've heard about the restraints? Basically, the restraints are a weird design, and because of the really forceful ejector airtime they cut into your legs, really painful and uncomfortable and there's been a rumour that the restraints are going to be changed.

Nope haha, I think I got Skyrush confused with Cheetah Hunt too rofl.

Just seen a few pictures, it seems very odd on the whole :shock:

Cheers for that anyway.

madhjsp

Giga Poster

Intricks said:
Hershey hasnt publicly announced anything yet, but Skyrush has effectively done a SoB. It doesnt exist according to the park and isnt there (it is all a fancy illusion). It isnt showing up on the app, they've pulled advertising for it (Skyrush/My Rush = Hersheypark) and the promotional image they've been using no longer has Skyrush on it.

It's still on their website for what that's worth.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Intricks said:
Granted, this is all heresay, but if they were just doing a restraint overhaul they would be running it still. None of the guys that go there daily have seen any form of issue involving the track. That leaves a broken train as the top runner.
I'm not sure I buy this logic. I'm not saying you're wrong, but that's a pretty sweeping statement to make. What's to say there isn't a problem with the control system? The foundations (you wouldn't be able to see this as clearly), afterall the whole site was a nightmare for them during construction? Why couldn't they have decided to just shut the ride and start work on the restraints? What's to say there's not some problem with that super-fast lift hill?

I mean, sure, it could be the trains, but saying that there's no issue with the rest of the coaster because some fanboy/employee can't see anything doesn't make sense to me. To me the trains or track or anything are all equally as likely. Skyrush is a pretty intense ride, so something could have gone wrong elsewhere. All we know is that they're pretty serious about shutting it for the season.

Regardless, top work Intamin. ;)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Intricks said:
Well, I have heard a few rumors that involve [...] the restraints getting a completd overhaul into a new OTSR design

If this happens, I can't wait for all the "I rode it with the original restraints and it was sooooooo much better" posts from the people currently slating the existing design.

Snoo

The Legend

I didn't like it that much with the originals.. so no worries for me.

Intricks

Strata Poster

gavin said:
Intricks said:
Well, I have heard a few rumors that involve [...] the restraints getting a completd overhaul into a new OTSR design

If this happens, I can't wait for all the "I rode it with the original restraints and it was sooooooo much better" posts from the people currently slating the existing design.

Try more like the Hersheypark fanboys/girls, that have been claiming the GP should be grateful they got a ride with lap restraints, bashing all that is Hershey for the switch up.

Its already happening in the group page in which I found this out from.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Youngster Joey said:
Didn't ECG talk to the gentleman when we were at Hershey and he said they weren't going to do OTSR?
Yes. I spoke to the ride engineer who said that he went to Kings Dominion to check out the new I305 OTSRs & they decided they would not go with them or any OTSRs because it would change the ride experience too much. He also told me that they would be changing the station layout in order to fix the issue with the train load/unloading taking place on the same side, so that they could speed up that process. I can't imagine that has anything to do with the sudden closure however.
The wife, kid & I rode SkyRush the weekend before the closure & didn't notice any issues. The ride was down for a few minutes in the morning when the park opened (the usual lift hill trouble), but ran fine the rest of the day.

Snoo

The Legend

The only real reason for this closure I can gather is the station issues.. and wanting to get a head start before winter.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

ECG said:
He also told me that they would be changing the station layout in order to fix the issue with the train load/unloading taking place on the same side, so that they could speed up that process. I can't imagine that has anything to do with the sudden closure however.
Thank. God!

It is bad enough that Hersheypark seemingly mandate one train operation throughout the park. Having loading/unloading on the same side compounded the problem with Skyrush - very cramped and compact.