What's new

Skyrush closure 2013 | Update page 11

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: Skyrush is closed for this season:

Oh Skyrush... See, the problem fundamentally is that Skyrush is seemingly a bit of a fluke. I theorise it wasn't the best thought out of rides, and the station design is the number one reason I believe that.

But I trust Hersheypark to fix any "problems" with it. That park gives off the vibe of a small family park, in that it cares and that it's management are involved enough with the details to notice problems bigger parks would overlook or ignore. I don't know how true anything I've said in this post is, but that's the feel you get from being a guest and so it's kind of what matters most.

It's a real shame it's closed at the moment though, I'd be gutted if I had a trip planned. But at least Hershey is a quality park that doesn't need one ride, however good, to make a visit worthwhile.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Hyde244 said:
It is bad enough that Hersheypark seemingly mandate one train operation throughout the park.
Not sure where that's coming from. :?
SkyRush, Great Bear, Fahrenheit, Storm Runner, Lightning Racer, SooperDooperLooper, Comet, Wildcat, Roller Soaker & Wild Mouse (of course) all have two or more train operation every time I go to the park.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ I guess one train operation is inaccurate - the day I visited over the summer trains in the station were not being dispatched until the previous train had reached the end of the brake run, directly behind the station. It felt like one train operation.

Granted, I realize majority of Hersheypark's coaster do not have mid course brake runs, so it is impossible for ride ops to dispatch a train until the previous one has reached the brake run. But damn - do these designs make loading slow.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Intricks said:
Current rumor that seems most true is an axle broke on one of the trains.

Intamin still use axels?? Is everyone sure? Thats old technology, I'd be surprised if Intamin used axels...

Intricks

Strata Poster

I dont know what they use to be honest, nor would a typical employee.

Yet if something is broke near where the wheels are, and the wheels of a car are on an axle...you kinda have to go with what you know. It may be wrong, but a borked train is a borked train.

What DO they use of it isnt an axle?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Intricks said:
What DO they use of it isnt an axle?
What I think SC means is they no-longer use an axle that's the width of the train, that has both wheels on. The wheel is still sitting on an axle, but it's only the length of the thickness of the wheel.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Ah...ok!

Edit: Apparently ALL the axles have failed on both trains! God damn, this is not a good sign of things to come in any manner. Mainly for potential business for Intamin in the US.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

I don't understand that... i305 take more of a pounding than this, why hasn't that been failing? Hmmm..

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Because I305 isn't a wing coaster, and doesn't have the weight of the seats.pulling down on each side?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Intricks said:
Ah...ok!

Edit: Apparently ALL the axles have failed on both trains! God damn, this is not a good sign of things to come in any manner. Mainly for potential business for Intamin in the US.
Source? I don't quite know how that's possible (it's pretty much not), so I'd like to know where that's come from and read about it myself.

BBH

Giga Poster

I'd heard about the mechanical problems from a buddy of mine that's a mechanic at Hershey. He said that the cable lift goes through its normal problems and the axles on the trains were hell.

bmac

Giga Poster

Screaming Coasters said:
I don't understand that... i305 take more of a pounding than this, why hasn't that been failing? Hmmm..

i305 has had 4 wheel failures this year, it still has its issues but they're just not spread as profoundly.

BBH

Giga Poster

bmac said:
Screaming Coasters said:

i305 has had 4 wheel failures this year, it still has its issues but they're just not spread as profoundly.
Exactly, and as someone said it's not a wing coaster with those annoyingly heavy trains like Skyrush.

Intricks

Strata Poster

That and the 7g crunch that the wheels deal with on those first two airtime hills (going from -2 to 5).

Anywho, source: http://coaster-net.com/news/1914-intamin-issues/

Please note that this is still all hearsay and rumor talk, but it also has a somewhat base of truth as those that work in the park have heard this from staff involved with the ride.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

The source Coaster-net cites is "close to Hersheypark." Take that as you will.

A source can range from a mechanic working on the ride to a drinking buddy of an executive. Until an anonymous source's credit is established, you have to approach with caution.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Hyde244 said:
Yeah.

There's just something about:
It has been discovered that nearly all of the axles that the wheels of the train are attached to have failed in some way, requiring major off-season work to the ride to repair and correct the issue.
That doesn't sound right to me. Obviously I don't know, but having it got that far before they noticed something - and it happened so severely to so many axles just doesn't add up to me.

Another Intamin ride at Cedar Point, Maverick, needed a last-minute track change to removed a barrel roll that was found to put too much force on riders, delaying the ride’s debut a few weeks.
Plus this is pretty much just wrong.

I'm not saying this article is all wrong, but I just wonder if Hershey will ever release an official statement that we can have as a source, not the musings of some enthusiast...

bmac

Giga Poster

Hixee said:
I'm not saying this article is all wrong, but I just wonder if Hershey will ever release an official statement that we can have as a source, not the musings of some enthusiast...

Other parks in the area haven't disclosed information about issues with their rides to the public. Great Adventure hasn't done it the last two times Kingda Ka had issues (2009, 2011). In 2009, people speculated lightning, although the only source of it is a news article from New Zealand. In 2011, people have also speculated lightning and have also blamed Hurricane Irene for the damage even though it was closed the day before the hurricane hit. It's mainly because of the GP and media having freakouts about how unsafe rides can be so they just say "rides closed, have fun with everything else!"

I also don't recall Kings Dominion announcing the modifications to i305 during the 2010-2011 off season, although they did announce the trims during the Virginia is for Coaster Lovers event.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Cedar Point has yet to ever publicly acknowledge the removal of the barrel roll on Maverick. It was announced Maverick would be closed for "further testing" - Snoo and I arrived opening day in 2007 to watch them send empty trains through the barrel roll.

The "believed" reason for the barrel roll removal was indeed because of excessive forces, more so for the rate the wheel's wear than rider comfort. Again, I say believed, because CP has never said!

So far we have seen a culture of minimal communication with ride rehab, in a way managing potential PR fallout. As long as it gets cleared by the state inspection, it is safe for business. And it would seem that is good enough for the parks.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Hixee said:
Hyde244 said:
Yeah.

There's just something about:
It has been discovered that nearly all of the axles that the wheels of the train are attached to have failed in some way, requiring major off-season work to the ride to repair and correct the issue.
That doesn't sound right to me. Obviously I don't know, but having it got that far before they noticed something - and it happened so severely to so many axles just doesn't add up to me.

Heavier trains plus a 7g range crunch on those axels has to have had SOME form of wear on them.