What's new

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Mark

Strata Poster
bob_3_ said:
I've read Mark's review and I'm sorry but I'm completely disagreeing with the "technicalities". I thought the film was fantastic, and the best of the series.

By technicalities of the film I was referring to things such as the directing/scripting/scoring/acting/special effects and they are the things that I was praising!

bob_3_ said:
Without the field/burrow fight scene I think the audience would been starved for some action,

Exactly my point! They stuffed in an action scene which has absolutely no relevance to the plotline whatsoever.

I have no problem with them editing stuff out if it is not necessary, but don't edit stuff out to put in other things that have absolutely no point in being there.

Oh and by the way Ben, the little time on screen that Bellatrix does get is mediocre at best. She has been out of Azkaban for a little while now and seems a lot less unhinged. Which reminds, all the praise being heaped on the woman playing Malfoys mother... er why? She was equally on there for a miniscule part of the movie.

Alan Rickman on the other hand! FANTASTIC!

Ollie

CF Legend
Why go into in-depth reviews when you can just keep things simple? :p
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQkojUVspdM[/youtube]

Brookes

Giga Poster
I really did enjoy the film for what it was, but I think they left out too much of Harry and the spells from the HBP's old potion's book. I'm pretty sure he used more spells in the book. There didn't seem to be enough focus on the HBP part, seeing as it was the name of the whole movie. I thought there should have been more memories aswell about Harry learning more about Voldemort. If I hadn't read the book, I would have wondered what it was all about.

But as a film, just based on the book with adaptations, it was brilliant, my favourite one yet.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I'm reading the 6th book again before I go see this.

But, I don't know why people keep making direct comparisons with the book. It's not supposed to be a carbon copy. You can't even do that from a book to film.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
One of my friends just go back from it. She said it was good. She said slightly different style and was quite funny in places.

If its like that I may wish to watch it.

Ollie

CF Legend
Just rewatched the 5th one again so when I see the 6th what happens in this one should still be fresh in my mind. I've already written my review in the 'Now Showing' topic so will just quote myself here.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix:
Having not been too keen on the film upon first viewing I decided to give it another chance.
I enjoyed it much more this time round. I think it was due to the first time I had just finished re-reading the 5th book and was disappointed that they cut almost half the book out and didn't find it lived up the expectations I was hoping for. This time I got to enjoy the film more for what it was on it's own which is really good.
So the first viewing I gave it a 6/10 but now after watching it again I can safely put it up to an...
8/10

I'm not sure if I can put the films in order of favourites. They're all so different from each other and everything's always developing. I still like the third one alot though as that's when the films started to get really dark. But I also like the first one for how magical it was when I first saw it. And the others are still good. So right now I don't think I can put the films in order from best to worst as easily as I could with only seeing each one once.
*And I don't know why I just added that random bit on at the end*

bob_3_

Giga Poster
A-Kid said:
One of my friends just go back from it. She said it was good. She said slightly different style and was quite funny in places.

If its like that I may wish to watch it.

I did actually find it probably the funniest film, despite the dark atmosphere.

Rush

Giga Poster
I know I'm going to be in the most minuscule minority here, but I prefered it to the book. (I really don't like the book.)

The opening was really good and set the good dark mood throughout the film. The film itself looks more professionally made (to me) than the previous two, the effects were stunning, especially the ones towards the end of the film.

The score is fantastic! Well done Nicholas Hooper, I can't wait to get the music for myself and personally I think he should come back for the final two films. I was never really a fan of Williams's score which was a bit too bland for my liking.

The film itself, was rather dark yet as Mark said, there is a huge amount of comedy in the film. I agree that there was an excessive amount of it and it took away some of the darkness away from the film. However, I would have preferred that, to it being a fully dark film with little fun in it at all. (i.e. The Dark Knight.)

Acting has been improved in the film although I'm still sceptical with Radcliffe and Watson. (Probably seeing as they're the main characters.) Of course, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Jim Broadbent and Maggie Smith all did fantastic jobs as usual. I still think that the girl who plays Luna really is brilliant and is perfect for the role too.

I have one or two complaints about the film. My biggest was the transition between scenes. For example:

After the Burrow is destroyed and in flames, it suddenly jumps to them being back at Hogwarts as if that scene had been stuck an extra topping to a sandwhich.

Another part of the film is in the cave when Dumbledore has conjured the firestorm and they're just about to leave, but the next shot shows them returning to Hogwarts. Okay, how did they get out of it then?

An extra 2 minutes or so couldn't possibly harm them making a smoother transition. All it needs is either a couple of lines or a bit extra to the scene just to make it flow better.

My next complaint is the use of the newer and the minor characters. Many of them were not properly introduced and although I knew who they were from reading the books; many of my friends didn't. We didn't even learn the name of one of them until she wasn't in any more scenes.

Many of the minor characters need something to do as well. Some have almost NO use to the film and only appear in the added scenes, there were many I could see which could have been cut and there was also good oppurtunity for better use of them, not just have them standing around looking blank in the background. (Fortunately, this is less prominent than in OotP.)

Oh and Ginny too, she SHOULD have been used as something more than a 'love interest' the entire film. I agree with Lain about those parts which both made me cringe.

Other than that, I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't go as far to say it was the best in the franchise, but for me, it's the part which sets up for the climax and to that extent it has done well and got me excited about the final two.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I saw it last night, and I think it really stayed true to the book, scene-to-scene-wise. Some scenes simply exceeded my expectation.

However, there were a few flaws:
1) The field scene. Totally pointless. The Burrow also plays a role in the next book, how can it do that when burnt down?
2) The lighting. I mean, look at said field scene. Why is the field so brightly illuminated? And the scene before Ron's first quidditch match, in the grand hall. Is it meant to be a dream?
3) Why is all the cutlery on in the grand hall when Bellatrix destroys it? When the hall is not used in the rest of the movie/s, the tables are empty
4) The translation. In the Norwegian subtitles, all names were translated, except for Ron's. I mean, what's so hard about remembering that he's named Ronny in Norwegian? Especially when they have remembered the rest of the names.

Apart from that, I quite liked the film.

Mark

Strata Poster
Just to make what I wrote clearer, and to make it clear I didn't hate the film.

I enjoyed the film, as a film, a lot; despite the occasional sections that dragged a little. It made me laugh and it was fun. I would happily go and see it again.

As a book to film it was very poorly done. (And don't give me any of that "ALL book to film translations are poor", because I disagree immensely!)

I tend to watch the Harry Potter films keeping in mind both the fact it is a film, whilst also recognising the source material too. There are always comparisons going to be made between film and book. I just tend to make sure I consider both sides of the discussion. How astute :roll:

nealbie

CF Legend
Right off to go and see it now peoples. I shall see whether Mark was correct in giving me the impression that it's rubbish (or rather I'd dislike it). He's probably right you know :p

nealbie

CF Legend
In 'Now Showing' Neal said:
Right then Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince:-

I really wasn't expecting anything amazing with this one after reviews that had been written both on here and in the outside world. The film didn't disappoint.

As previously stated it was very loosely based on the book. Turning to a potential saving grace, before the film started I decided to judge it as a stand alone film. This also provided me with nothing, the film is dire. The acting however, amazing!

Michael Gambon in my eyes deserves at the very least a nomination for the Best Actor in a Supporting Role Oscar, as of yet (future films pending) he should win it! Come the end, there wasn't a dry eye in the house as his death was performed magnificently; immediately placing itself amongst the top movie deaths along with Mufasa, Harry Stamper and John Coffey. This however remains my only extension of congratulations towards the movie.

As always Alan Rickman provided excellent craft in his work. His character's role in the film however, has been severely played down from his role in the book. With Snape still regarded the villian with absolutely no sympathy towards him.

Radcliffe impressed me, as did Grint and Watson; they are coming along swimmingly, their acting really starting to shine through now. Tom Felton however disappointed drastically. Poor acting on his part really did almost ruin the climactic scene!

So to summarise, there were brilliant moments, I cried as Dumbledore fell to his death and as the wandlit vigil that followed was played out on screen. There was also some great acting performances, Maggie Smith wasn't at her best though; but major detractors was the overall poorness that this series has become. Definitely the worst instalment so far, shame really, there was promise.

Nicky

Hyper Poster
I saw it this afternoon at the Printworks in Manchester. Managed to get tickets for the IMAX 3D version.

First a review of the beginning in 3D. It stayed 3D up to the time Harry arrived at the Burrow. The bridge scene was really good in 3D and the swooping around (even if it made me feel a bit sick) but after that it sort of became a bit pointless. Apart from the tidying, it wasn't really used to good effect but then you will get that from a film that has mainly been released in 2D.

While it was good watching it on the IMAX big screen I do have to admit that it was hard to keep up with the action scenes like with Quidditch. You had so much detail to take in at once that you always seemed to be trying to catch up constantly with what is going on on screen. I think I would like to go and see it again on a smaller screen. I wear glasses and from where I was sat I could just about see the whole screen within the frames of them but there were some awkward moments.

Overall I really liked the film. A long time ago I learnt to distinguish between the books and the films. You are never going to be able to get everything into the film from the books. I just treat the films as a different interpretation of the books and accept them as they are. I know they are even going to struggle with the next book even though they have two films worth of time to use.

It was nice to see more comedy back in it and it tended to be the subtle things rather than the words that made people laugh. You definitely need to have read the books to understand what is going on.

I have been playing the Wii game and sort of realised that I have seen a quick summary of most of the movie already which was kind of disappointing but I was glad that I got stuck on the game so hadn't seen the whole thing.

My one problem with the film is that it needs some more lighting. Half the scenes seemed to be in mid darkness and it just washed everything out. I understand about creating mood but there is a point where you just need to be able to see what is going on on the screen.

Overall I probably will go and see it again on a smaller screen but this film has just left me wanting more. The changes I can cope with but I just want the final two films now.

Rach

Giga Poster
I saw this yesterday and I have to say I was very impressed.

I've always been an avid fan of both the books and the films (Even to the point where I was hoping I would get a letter to go to Hogwarts when I was 11!) and this one didn't fail to disappoint me.

Like what has already been said, there is a definite comedy/romance feel to the film, even though it made a nice change, a little more action would've been good.

There was plenty of LOL moments in it, many of which made the cinema piss themselves laughing.
I specially liked when Harry drank the Liquid Luck, that was pure class and hilarious!
The Lavender and Won Won thing was equally as hilarious. The girl cast to play her was perfect, just like the girl that plays Luna!

Then there is the obligatory climax of the film. Now I have to say here that the effects were amazing and the fact that all of the cave scene was green screened was truly incredible!

There can't have been many dry eyes in the cinema when the death happened. How they done that was fantastic with the slow mo fall. I know for a fact it made me a little tearful. :(
Then when everyone raised their wands to show their appreciation really set me off!

Overall, I have to say that it was a great film, more action would've been ideal and a few other things added like how Harry and Dumbledore got back to Hogwarts and the crossing in the boat.
Would certainly see it again if I had the chance. Cannot wait for The Deathly Hallows now.

I hope with TDH that they include as much of the book as physically possible. I'm sure that was the intention with it being in 2 parts!

nadroJ

CF Legend
It sucked, I hated it. The only thing that made it bearable were a few laughs from Harry and the kids behind me making constant jokes.

What a waste of money.

tks

Strata Poster
It was a pile of ****ing ****. So glad I downloaded it and didn't pay £7 to Odeon for the displeasure of having to sit through the abridged version of the book.

Yes I know it's not a remake of the book, but where the hell do they get off ADDING scenes that add nothing to the film, aka the Burrow going up in flames. And then cutting out half of the back story about Voldemort...

Acting, much betterwise. Still can't stand Daniel Radcliffe. Couldn't give a damn about the love side. I know its a coming of age story, but it was all weakkkk.

Oh and after Harry goes ape**** on Malfoy in the bathroom, where the hell was the punishment? Unless I fell asleep he basically half killed him, got a naughty look off Snape and walked off scott free...

Oh and also lets leave out the ENTIRE battle at hogwarts shall we? Find me a gun and the script writer please.