What's new

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Jake

Strata Poster
Seamus is getting sexier every year too.

*Hopes he's legal or i'll be put on a list for that*.

As for the Half Blood Prince, I enjoyed it! Probably my least favourite from the series so far, but that doesn't mean it's bad. 7/10.

Lain

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ It's called being a plain jane.. And that's boring. I can find fifty million girls who have just that "oh, she's pretty" look, and after a while it just becomes boring because that's all you see. If I see someone with a stand out feature, or someone who is pretty but has something different or odd looking about them, I find that way prettier than someone who just fits the "pretty" definition in every way.

Plus she looks like Richard Dawkins.

nealbie

CF Legend
OK, let me explain more. As we do not know these people on a personal level, just the characters they play in a film, we can only really say we like their personality in said film.

Yes she ticks the "pretty" box, but is nothing exceptional I grant you. But she is attractive, and her clever and brave personality makes here even more so. You have to take the person into consideration as well as the looks, perhaps before, you Canadian whore. :p

^ I don't even like the Harry Potter series after the second one, so I don't really care about their personalities. I'm just talking looks in general, like if we saw them walking out on the street or something.

Lain

Giga Poster
Neal said:
OK, let me explain more. As we do not know these people on a personal level, just the characters they play in a film, we can only really say we like their personality in said film.

Yes she ticks the "pretty" box, but is nothing exceptional I grant you. But she is attractive, and her clever and brave personality makes here even more so. You have to take the person into consideration as well as the looks, perhaps before, you Canadian whore. :p

Yes, but you're describing Hermione, there, not Emma Watson. She was on Jonathan Ross the other week, and she came across as being annoying and a bit snooty.

...and she looks like Richard Dawkins.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose. :p

nealbie

CF Legend
You whore :p

Talking of attractiveness and stuff. I forgot to mention in my review that the first 90 minutes reminded me exactly of college :lol:

Patrick

Hyper Poster
Saw it last night, worst one yet. Was boring pretty much the whole way through apart from the death bit (not going to put any spoilers). I was also expecting much more to happen tbh.

The last one was the best one yet.

Ollie

CF Legend
Just got back from seeing it. Really enjoyed it actually which I'm glad about as I wasn't sure if I would or not. I think it helped me not remembering anything from the book as I could focus more on the film for what it was which was very good. It was a bit long and if someone asked me to say what all the scenes were I couldn't tell them as it seems so much was crammed into it as they could. The acting has improved as expected. I really like the person who plays Luna Lovegood. I think she's a great actor and deserves some more attention. Alan Rickman was also great as Snape as always he just seems to say his lines perfectly and pause at just the right places.

It could of done with some more action and I didn't feel that Burrow scene was too out of place. It was needed as not much was happening by that point but they could of done something better.
So yeah I really enjoyed it overall. Although I'm wondering now if I saw it again when it comes out on DVD I'll think the same thing.
8/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I can join in the conversation at last! :)

What an oddity.

First up, I thought it was a generally well made film. Production values are always very high in the HP films, so no problems there. The direction was nice at times, and always good enough to make up for the lack of pretty much anything happening.

Now, I love this book as it's the point in the story where it teeters over the edge and starts to head into the finale. All of a sudden questions are answered and you feel the story getting ready for the massive blast.

I disliked Order of the Phoenix as a book, as I thought it was a bit of a dirge and a drag.

Oddly, HBP is the slower film of the two, until I thought about it. The reason I loved HBP is because of the way it was unleashing the story. Nothing happened apart from finally giving answers and moving the plot on excitingly. In a film, this doesn't work. Whereas all the nothing going on in the plot arc in OOTP that I thought ruined it, was good stuff in a film.

Sometimes films work better than books and vice versa.

I think with what they had, the writing and direction was actually pretty bloody good. The humour was well placed and spot on to relieve what was essentially a lot of dull dialogue.

The biggest problem though is with slab face Radcliffe. His acting range goes from Poe-faced fluffing of lines to Poe-faced forced smiles while fluffing his lines. To have such a poorly animated actor in the lead role stifles it.

The reason the shoelace/pie stuff seems to annoying is because the scripts called for "subtle sexual overtones and attraction between Harry and
Ginny
". Then the director found out that Radcliffe is utterly incapable of any acting beyond the subtleties of playing a face on Mount Rushmore and forced the actress to make things more blatant.

This got me thinking about the character of Harry anyway. Does anyone else think he's a kind of pointless lead. You get the feeling that he's just playing a dumb cow throughout the entire series, being led to slaughter. He has all the endearing charm and qualities of a drooling bovine and his entire success at making it to the abattoir is pure luck and his much more intelligent and interesting companions. I think the film/s compounds this with such a characterless and slap worthy lead.

Anyway, the film is long, and it drags. I also suspect that there are a few too many bits and bobs that people who haven't read the books would struggle to follow. Overall, I think they did the best they could with the source material and the actors.

Now, The Burrow bit. I said to Ben last night that it did seem that they suddenly needed to get more Bellatrix and dumped the scene in just for that. I think that the reality is that the film (apart from the bridge scene at the start) doesn't show the gathering power of Voldemort. It doesn't show how vulnerable the wizarding world actually is to his attacks.

The Burrow scene showed that vulnerability, as well as breaking up a long spell of nothing really happening. It doesn't quite fit as the pace is jarring against the pace of the rest of the film. So it was needed certainly to try and remind people of what is happening outside of Hogwarts, which will become important in the next instalment.

Very glad I saw it at the cinema, and it was probably pretty much what I was expecting. I went with Minor_Furie and his friend, who both said it was the best of the series so far - both are 13. Maybe that's who the film is aimed at?

Lain

Giga Poster
Theory: There's no mention at all of Charlie and Fleur, so there will be no wedding scene in the next film, so blowing up the Burrow was a feasible thing to do, along with the reasons furie gave for it.

Win.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
both are 13. Maybe that's who the film is aimed at?

I think I woulda crapped myself at 13 haha, especially at the cave scene. With dumbledore screaming "KILL ME" and those inferni, but hey.

And I kinda agree with what you said about Harry, he was never actually my favorite character either. I think Radcliffe is a pleb, but when you think about it, Harry kinda is too.

nealbie

CF Legend
Yeah he works the role well. In the books, in relation to the other wizarding characters he is somewhat of a dumbass.

It's very clever, because he still holds a competent level of intelligence over the other muggle characters. A very good way of protraying it in my opinion. :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
bob_3_ said:
I think I woulda crapped myself at 13 haha, especially at the cave scene. With dumbledore screaming "KILL ME" and those inferni, but hey.

Yeah, MF's friend screamed

Lain said:
Theory: There's no mention at all of Charlie and Fleur, so there will be no wedding scene in the next film, so blowing up the Burrow was a feasible thing to do, along with the reasons furie gave for it.

Win.

Maybe, but not win as that means even MORE camping!!! :(

Neal said:
Yeah he works the role well.

Does he bollocks. He's got the acting talent of a dry stone wall!

Fortunately, it's all the Harry character needs, but he could try speaking a sentence without mumbling or fluffing it every once in a while!

nealbie

CF Legend
furie said:
Neal said:
Yeah he works the role well.

Does he bollocks. He's got the acting talent of a dry stone wall!

Fortunately, it's all the Harry character needs, but he could try speaking a sentence without mumbling or fluffing it every once in a while!

I'm getting deja vu to what I said in the post previous... :wink:

Ollie

CF Legend
^Yeah I think everyone did then. I think it was more the sudden sound and you weren't expecting it to happen (well I couldn't remember what happened in the book).

Mark

Strata Poster
Lain said:

Win.

Sorry to burst that little bubble, but they have already filmed the scenes for the wedding. They had pictures in the papers last week/week before, once again, of Herminoe all dressed up and sexeh looking.

They have also made several changes to how the 7 part will play out in order to compensate for the changes they made for this film. The wedding will still happen but since it is right near the beginning I would expect more of a big fight type scenario to get the film rolling (which of course, doesn't happen in the book).