What's new

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

bob_3_

Giga Poster
They finished it back in November, but WB didn't want 2 big films released in the same year, pfft (Dark Knight was the other film).

Looks amazing though, I've just finished reading the book again and I think they'll do a good job. People always complain that the "films are pants compared to the books". But the fact of the matter is, they're two different mediums so they're obviously going to differ.

You gotta take the books and one thing and the films as another.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I found the earlier books the most disappointing to be honest. There's a lot of sub-plotting goes on in them as there's actually very little going on in the book's main plot line. So they have multiple levels of depth.

Once that you get to the last three books though, the detail of the book is really in the action. So you tend to find that the skipped bits aren't quite as noticeable as the main plot remains the same.

Did Goblet of Fire really lose out not having the House Elf stuff in it? I don't think so and the back story is a lot of book pages for very little impact on the overall seven book plot.

However, some of the back story bits in the second and third book make the whole plot play out better and make a difference to the way you view things in latter books.

However, the films do put across most of what is required. If you want more depth, then read the books. I still think the films are by and large enjoyable romps :)

Richie

Hyper Poster
Obviously the books are 100 times better, but I still love the films. Can't wait for this one! Exciteddd :)

Ben

CF Legend
Films 1-4 SUCKED and I was in no way looking forward to 6 until I saw 5...

OMFG 5 is AWESOME. I CAN NOT WAIT TIL 6 <3<3<3

Ben

CF Legend
No, they sucked.

The new director and composer that came on for 5 were both absolutely outstanding, and made such an impact on that film it went from drab to fab.

marc

CF Legend
Not read the books.

I like the first film even though the acting was poor, and I liked Goblit of Fire. That Irish actor is so good and made the film for me.

The last film was ok but I felt it was rushed tbh.

I did not like the 2nd or 3rd films at all. I thought the effects were poor in 2 which ruined it, plus I just found the story went on and on. It also had an actor in the film that I can not stand. 3rd film I was bored, just lacked everything. I also hate things like Ground Hog day so I was never going to enjoy this story. It was just so slow and never picked up.

The new film looks fantastic.

kimahri

CF Legend
I'm Really suprised they got away with a PG rateing. Either that or I read something false.

If you've read the book then you'd understand why I was surprised about it if it's true.

I'm guessing they cut some of those bits out. :(

Edit: I've just seen their version of it.

It's pathetic. Maybe I have a really disturbed mind when I though of that bit.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Book seven was the most boring, closely followed by book 5 and then book 2 not far behind.

I agree with Ben, they made book five which was a poor read into a great film. I also agree with Marc that film two was drab, but the plot in the book is also drab.

I liked book three, as it was complex and clever. Plus it's where you fist start to see into the whole plot arc for the seven books. That's where it all really starts to kick off the whole story. However, they film isn't very good, it just didn't work properly.

So I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out. I love seeing them at the cinema, it drastically improves the film being so big and loud :)

marc

CF Legend
I saw the 1st film in the cinema, then the 2nd one put me off so did not see the 3rd one in the cinema. Saw the 3rd on dvd and as I said did not like it so did not see the 4th until the dvd, I wish I had seen it in the cinema. Saw the 5th in the cinema and on dvd, as you say Furie was so much better in the cinema.

The whole thing with this film is I have seen so many things about it as its been ready for so bloody long. In a way I just want to see it now to get it over and done with which is never a good way to see a film.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
The first few were crap. I saw one of them high on Morphine in a hospital bed. Much better like that.

This one will probally be crap aswell. Only worth watching for Emma Watson.

Ollie

CF Legend
I thought 1,2 & 3 were good. 4 was average and 5 sucked big hairy dogs bollocks.
I'll probably see the 6th anyway as I've seen the others but nothing has got me excited about it.

I think the Harry Potter series lost me after the last one. I liked one and two, got really confused with the third, can't remember the fourth, the Goblet of Fire one was good, and the last one was just me sitting in the theatre with no idea what was even happening.

So, unless my friend like, forces me to go with her again, I won't be seeing it! I might though, just to finish off the series.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
So... You liked one and two.

The third confused you.

You can't remember the fourth.

GOF was good.

Number five was rubbish and confusing and you're not going to see number six.

Whoa... Backup there and do your math Taylor ;)

pkiknex25

Mega Poster
Taylor, Goblet of Fire was the fourth.

I'm really looking forward to this, though I'm not a huge fan of the fifth.

Rush

Giga Poster
Book 6 was my least favourite book and I have a feeling it will make a better film.

I seem to be the only person who liked book/film number 2! I actually really enjoyed the plot and thought it was darker than some of the others.

The latest films have been a bit poor, especially the third one although the soundtrack to number 5 is truly epic and I can't wait for the soundtrack to number 6! Just had a search for it and apparently there are 28 tracks! Bloody hell! They better be good.

I think it's going to be interesting how they adapt the film to coincide with number 7.

peep

CF Legend
I'm really looking forward to this one. I've enjoyed watching all of them, seen all 5 at the cinema.

bob_3_ said:
They finished it back in November, but WB didn't want 2 big films released in the same year, pfft (Dark Knight was the other film).

Sorry, but you're wrong. Due to the credit crunch they couldn't afford to make any major blockbusters for this year so they moved Potter from last November to this July, I see why they did it. I think the film was finished August/September time.

A-Kid said:
Only worth watching for Helena Boham Carter.

Corrected :p

So... You liked one and two.

The third confused you.

You can't remember the fourth.

GOF was good.

Number five was rubbish and confusing and you're not going to see number six.

Whoa... Backup there and do your math Taylor

Well whatever.. I've lost track because there are so many Harry Potter movies. He's like, ninety five in real life now almost.