What's new

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

marc

CF Legend
Ok seen the film.

Quick review really, take out 2 hours and it fine.

Remember I have not read the books.

For me this was the worst film out the lot, I was bored. I just find it hard to say what I liked about the film, thats the problem.

I did not really like the way the film was shot, I felt like I was always looking up and the actors faces, had to explain.

Big let down tbh for me. It's not a bad film just a film I am not in a rush to see again.

Not feeling well probably did not help, if the tickets had not been pre booked we would not have gone.

Ollie

CF Legend
So mixed reviews then. I'm going to go in to watch it expecting to be disappointed. That way if it's crap like the 5th one it won't be too bad. But if I enjoy it then all well and good. :)

I think the thing with Harry Potter is that it looses the magic more and more in each film. In the first one you had all the wizarding stuff. Wizards chess, Bertie Bott's every flavoured Beans, chocolate frogs, the ghosts of each house, seeing all the cool lessons they did and the full Quidditch matches... Just to name a few.
Now it seems more about just things getting dark and the characters love lives.

Also like Marc said the style it's shot in has changed. It's taken a completely different tonne and relies more and more on special effects in every film.
I hope people get what I'm saying here.

I dunno though. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

marc

CF Legend
Ollie this one did not have that many effects really, thats where the problem was. It was mainly this one liking that one etc with a bit of action to split it up.

If that is how the book it then fine, just not my thing.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
IMDB has it pitted at an 8.3 so far, with 18,000 and odd votes.

I really don't see Harry Potter films reaching an 8.3 :shock:

Ben

CF Legend
Ollie said:
Also like Marc said the style it's shot in has changed.

Yeah, the style changed around the time they got in a competent director.

Which was around the last film :p

Ollie

CF Legend
^The last film was the worst out of the lot though. Complete trash and just wasn't good at all. :p

jonnyrocks

Mega Poster
The first half of the film was alot better imo, the films never seem to do the big, important scenes properly. Felt like it butchered the book as well, especially with the extra random bit at The Burrow.
Not looking forward to the last 2 films and how they get around all the necessary missed out stuff. Also have a feeling the main battle bits will be terrible, they never really got those right!

Lain

Giga Poster
I don't think you can complain at bits being left out or being slightly different from the books. The films are only based on the books - they're not meant to be verbatim copies.

The important thing is that the films work in their own right, and convey the characters and settings in a consistent light, which they achieve admirably. I mean, can you think of another franchise that made six consistently good films on the bounce?

I enjoyed HBP (the movie). Yes, it's quite long, and yes there isn't a great deal of action, but there's plenty to keep you occupied, and I was engaged throughout the whole thing. As with all the movies so far, the acting has improved again, but you would expect it to, and the special effects are stunning, too, it's a really good looking film.

The only bits I didn't like were the Harry/Ginny things, specifically:
"Here, let me feed you this pie", and "Here, let me tie your shoes." Stupid Ginny.

I did enjoy it lots though, and I did laugh out loud a few times. Quality stuff.

marc

CF Legend
^See I found it different to you.

It did not do enough for me.

I was rather upset to read the same group of people will be making film 7 :( I just do not think they get emotion out of the children actors.

Mark also said said parts missed out were needed and parts that were added were not needed.

As I said I have not read the books so I need the films to tell the story and this simply did not until near the end. When I get the dvd I will skip the first 90 mins and then its a good film.

If been clear from film 3 who Harry would date and that the other 2 would get together, did they really need to make this last 90 mins?. I did not laugh at all, yes I smiled but that was all.

I did not get upset at the death either as I do not think it was done well, same happened in the 5th film. These 2 things are very important and neither in my view were done as well as the 4th film.

Just like the 5th film I just did not like the editing or the film work. They need to work more on the story rather than comedy, there are films out in the cinema that do comedy and do it better.

Mark

Strata Poster
[EDIT]--[Unintentionally long post, but if this ends up at the bottom of the page and just gets glossed over and ignored I would be most upset :( ...lol]

So, after a nights sleep to digest everything... (Get comfy boys and girls)

After an extremely long wait to see the film, what with the postponement and the release of multiple trailers (certainly more then what I remember for any other film) it is safe to say it has led to an even bigger sense of hype and has given the film a lot to live up to.

I might as well make it very clear now that I have read the book and liked it very much but have always been very concerned about just how they would translate it to the screen. There is just so much back story and history teaching that it if they were to translate the film directly it would become somewhat repetitive. I am certainly not giving away any spoilers when I say that they have added 2 major sequences to the film that were not from the book and they have removed a big amount of the back story.

Of course, in the film world this is all necessary. Otherwise the film would become simply a sequence scenes where Harry dips into the memories and learns a bit more. The book is very much a book of exposition, which is why I enjoyed it so much. You got the feeling everything was falling into place.

Furthermore, I always knew that this film (as with the last) would remove huge swathes of the book and therefore I should try and distinguish and seperate the two. The way I have tried to watch them is with an open mind. Focusing on whether the film works in any way as a stand alone film without being too dependent on those that preceded it. The first few, in my view, did reasonably well. Naturally, with the thickening plot, this is not the case for the most recent. Yet after sleeping on it I am still a little bit confused as to what this film was trying to achieve; of what it was trying to be if you may.

The trailers certainly do give a sense of the romance factor that this film has. Their are all growing teens and therefore as well as fighting the forces of darkness their are fighting their hormones. I totally appreciate that. It is a very big part of the film, almost always with comical consequences. This being my biggest dislike of the film. The level of comedy and one liner retorts from the characters is a little over-amped in my opinion. Despite being extremely well written, I just didn't think it was necessary. It bounced backwards and forwards so often between comedy and drama that it didn't translate at all well. Where others have achieved critical acclaim for the balance of different genre values in a single episode or even scene (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for instance), Half Blood Prince, totally fails.

There were two major occasions in which the comedy element was totally misplaced and misleading. One of which is shot in such a way that made the audience laugh, even though they aren't supposed to, for them to almost gasp when they realise what they are actually laughing at.

When Ron is poisoned accidentally in Slughorn's office. He collapses, frothing at the mouth.

Naturally, having read the books, I knew this was coming and therefore the comedy was a little lost on me for that but even the rest of the audience seem a bit confused at this point as to whether or not they should have laughed. Which is where the film has faltered in my opinion. Such a strong emphasis on the comedy level has actually meant that the serious stuff has been left a little in the cold and in comparison to the other movies, this one really sticks out. Perhaps they were trying to emphasise some calm before the big storm, or even the eye of the storm (considering the action of Goblet and Order) but I believe it went a little too far and certainly detracted from the underpinning story. This was all up until the last twenty minutes.

It is clear that the makers also felt there were points that the film was dragging and was swaying too far into the comedy world too, especially considering a greatly discussed added scene which slots in about half way through the movie. If I say the Burrow at Christmas, those who have seen it will know what I mean. What exactly did that little action sequence appear for? What did it do? What were the outcomes from it? Absolutely nothing at all. It was totally unnecessary beyond the point of mindless fun/action. That scene was purely put in because the makers said, o heck, we are half way through and it's been all romantic comedy so far... must get the audience back in. Yes the scene looked good, and was a good use of special effects, but it really added nothing to the film.

Whilst I think about the romance, and the fact that everyone keeps complaining about it, it IS a major part of the book and therefore I expected it to be so in the film, what tainted it so much for me was once again, the overuse of the comedy element. Upon reflection I suppose a lot of it would be viewed as comedy even if they hadn't intended it to be. As teenagers trials and tribulations in love are quite often with hilarious consequences (we've all been there).

Personally, I would have liked that they cut some of the romance elements (as I say, they ARE in the book too) and found a way to put in more of the history and back-story that the book covers. Naturally this would have to be done well and not simple as Harry dipping in and out of Dumbledores memories as in the book. I just feel that it would have made for a much more interesting film and certainly would give the audience a much better sense of how deep the story is. (The cynic in me even thinks that Rowling is not bothered about this factor, as, if anything, it will encourage more to read the books and find out what on Earth is going on!)

In terms of the direction and technicalities. I liked the look of the film, despite quite frequently having a very foggy and grey effect in most scenes, or a slightly over exposed camera image look. The whole grey fog thing is understood as being due to the Dementors leaving Azkaban prison and breeding, creating a big drain on all positive thought (as briefly hinted upon in Order) but it even seemed to be happening indoors too. This could possibly just be the cinema in which we viewed it mind.

As with the last two films, the opening 20 minutes bounds around from scene to scene almost desperately trying to squeeze as much back story in before they get to the school and spend 90 minutes on the comedy aspect. This leaves it all feeling a little disjointed and unfinished, like there is something missing (oh wait there is.... never mind). Again, it all just felt very disjointed and very much un-Harry Potter. Bouncing far too quickly between the comedy and drama to the point that the film doesn't know what it is supposed to be.

The acting was far better this time around, even to the point where Tom Felton (Draco) actually surprised me and showed the audience what he has learnt in his 5 years as a somewhat background character.

The special effects (what few of them there are) are fantastic throughout the film. The liquid memories, a very welcome return of quidditch (which we never seem to get enough of) and the cave scene being amazingly well done and retaining that magical feel.

Whilst on the subject of the the final sequences; I think it is safe to say everyone knows who dies in this movie, but I won't say the name all the same! Was it handled well? Extremely well. You have to consider that this is now the third movie where a character, who is on the good side no less, is killed by the bad guys. The first time, it was a shocker and had to be handled very delicately. It was back then, just the amount of tears flowed without totally destroying your child audience. Plus Harry was younger then. Apart from his parents, which he has very little recollection of, this is the first death he has witnessed, and therefore, the first major one we witness in the films. It had to be tear-jerking and it was, showing that the films were growing up and they were no longer holding back. Yet in Order and even the new film, there is a much less sentimental feel about the deaths. WHY? Because what you have to remember is that death is becoming extremely common place in the latter parts of the story and therefore Harry is almost becoming quite accustomed to it, and subsequently, we are brought along that journey too. Especially considering the events to come in Part 7 and 7b, you need to appreciate that huge amounts of time can not be spent on sentimentality and trying to get the audience to cry. Harry doesn't cry, as he is getting stronger and therefore the audience is doing the same.

And back to the technicalities...

The musical scoring was also very good and Hooper has most definitely surpassed his work on the previous film. Some very good developing themes and elements shining through within the movie. Whether he remains and is a part of the team for Deathly Hallows is, as of yet, unknown, but I would rather he get the job over Williams. (That was not me saying I don't like John Williams by the way, before the lynch mob rear their heads!!! but apparently he has expressed strong interest in returning for the final Potter film).

When all is said and done, and I finalise my thoughts the most important question is simply... Would I go and see it again? The answer being simply Hell Yes.

Hang on, you all say, you've just spent an entirely massive, UC length post talking about things you didn't like... (I didn't intend on it being quite so long tbh)

And yes you are quite right, but yet, this post is also a reflection of my thoughts as they have developed since I saw the film, how they have changed. Naturally, as a huge fan of the books, I left the film wanting to cast my own spells on the writers for the cavalier attitude of hacking the book to pieces. Yet upon reflection, and putting it all into perspective. It was an enjoyable film. If I were to lose all the expectations that I had of this film, and were to lose all of the hype that this film has had, it is clear that it IS a very good film. It totally steps away from absolutely everything you have been through within a Potter movie so far to the point of shocking you.

Ultimately: What I am trying to say is that if you can get past the shock of it being so very different to the other movies, leave the expectations and the hype at the door, you will enjoy this very very much.

nealbie

CF Legend
What ridiculously long post? :wink:

See (having not seen the film and basing this on your rather in-depth review), I think that that is what is needed. A film that goes through EVERY part of the film; even if not a great length. The amazing back story is what made me immensely enjoy what is a children's book no less!

The way that Rowling can tie you into the story line and not let you go until you've finished reading the blank page on the back several times; and even then making you immediately want the next instalment; makes you appreciate all the more how much of an epic she has written.

She spent more than a decade of her life pouring her soul and imagination into this series. But the powers that be in the film industry have done little more than to appease her for the first film, and then simply discarded most of the connections with the source material for all of the following editions.

I WANT back story! That's what MADE the Potter books so amazing! The total immersion that you obtained from simply reading them. That is why the first film is so amazing! It has EVERYTHING! Yes it doesn't have it exactly the same as the book, but the premise is there. Alterations are undoubtedly made as it is needed to make the film watch-able; but you don't have to take loads out and make up totally new stuff. That to me is poor form on the part of the director. If you're making a film based on a book, you don't make half of it up of your own back.

So if you what you say is true Mark (and I don't doubt that for a second), then this film is going to suck a hundred fold more than films 2-5 put together!

Ollie

CF Legend
*Reads Marks post*
*Looks at clock*
Bloody hell. Where did that time go? :p

I actually quite enjoyed reading that though. I think you feel the same way about the film that I'm expecting to after I see it (soon hopefully). I hope that I won't be disappointed by it after all the hype it's got.
It's been ages since I've read the book and I've forgotten most the stuff that happened so I think that may help me not try to compare everything to the book and enjoy the film for what it is.

EDIT: Just realised I've started a new page. Please can people go back one page and read Marks post. It seems a shame for him to write all that only for it to be lost on a new page where people might miss it.

peep

CF Legend
Somehow Mark, I read all of that :D

I have never read a Potter book and I don't intend to in the near future but I have seen all the Potter films and loved all of them. It is just a shame that this one fails. Now I'm not saying that it's a bad film, it's just not a good Potter film, probably the worst of the lot in fact. The quality of the previous films means that they should be getting better and better but this one just falls well below the quality of even the first film.

Anyway, what's wrong with it? The film was heavily dis-jointed. It didn't flow, it felt like a chopped up animal that had been put into a blender and you had to somehow put it all back together. It hardly made sense and after reading Mark's review I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that random scene in those fields was utter tripe. Yes the effects were awesome in that scene but as Mark said, it doesn't do or mean anything, it just doesn't feel right at all. It was so misplaced that all the suspense etc that they tried to build up in that scene just wasn't there.

Mark, I think you'll find that Potter does cry quite emotionally after the death scene, yeah I wouldn't of really noticed it either but some teenagers thought it was so bad that they actually laughed at it.

Another really bad thing with the film was the ending, they did something similar with the last film (and maybe the one before that, I can't really remember) but it adds nothing to the film and if anything makes the film worse. If they ended it moments after the death it would have such a large impact on the audience like "wtf is going to happen next?" sorta stuff. I really don't understand some of the decisions that are made when making these films.

Ah yes, one last major complaint...Helena Boham Carter. She is absolutely fantastic but all the scenes she was in she either felt pointless/did nothing or her actions felt so random that it didn't make any sense (trailer made me think she was in a decent action scene, I felt really pissed off when it wasn't).

Good things about the film? One of the best things about the film is the special effects, absolutely superb. The scene where Potter and Dumbledore (sp?) are at that house and magical things happen, just flawless.

The score is also fantastic. I do love Williams too but like Mark I think I'd prefer Hooper to stay on for the next two instalments.

Umm, anything else? Oh yeah, the acting was a major improvement, every film they do they all get so much better. Also Jim Broadbent = awesomeness, does he return for the next one? I hope he does.

I can't actually think of much else that was good, but overall it was very mediocre, still a good film, just not as good as the previous Potter films.

A

Anonymous

I saw this movie yesterday and I didn't like it =/
I thought it was rubbish!
The only Harry Potter movies I liked were the philosopher's stone, chamber of secrets and prisoner of azkaban.
All the rest I thought were rubbish

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I've read Mark's review and I'm sorry but I'm completely disagreeing with the "technicalities". I thought the film was fantastic, and the best of the series.

Yes it was different from the book, but hey, I think the changes worked well! Without the field/burrow fight scene I think the audience would been starved for some action, and I actually got really tense when they were in the fields. When Ron fainted and people laughed..then realised what had happened, it gave it much more of a punch I felt etc.

But yeah, although not perfect. It was thoroughly enjoyable, and for a film that lasts 2 and a half hours, I think that's quite something. AND considering I read the book just last week, and it was fresh in my mind, I was not disappointing, again, that's something too.

Ben

CF Legend
peep said:
Ah yes, one last major complaint...Helena Boham Carter. She is absolutely fantastic but all the scenes she was in she either felt pointless/did nothing or her actions felt so random that it didn't make any sense (trailer made me think she was in a decent action scene, I felt really pissed off when it wasn't).

WHHHHHHAAAAATTTTT?????!?!??!!!!??!!?!?!?!?!?!

But... Helena...

To be honest, the next one should just be Bellatrix Lestrange and the Deathly Hallows. **** Harry.