What's new

Alton Towers/Ropers noise complaint rolls on

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
^Exactly

As plenty of people have said, 2 people are not going to shut down Alton Towers. If they hate it in the middle of nowhere in Staffordshire, They'd definatly hate it in Orlando or similar places.

I'm lucky in this case I don't live next to AT as they do remind me of my mum with the amount she complains about non-exixtant noise pollution.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Re: Re: Alton Towers/Ropers noise complaint rolls on

Ollie said:
I watched the first 10 seconds of that video then turned it off.
Watch it properly, then you will know why I did that, I have some very valid points.

posting from somewhere in the world

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Just going to bold something here in the vain hope that people will actually read this post.

THERE IS A HUGE AMOUNT OF IGNORANCE OF THE SUBJECT IN THIS TOPIC

Things you need to know about this before you carry on. Anyone ignoring these facts will have their avatar replaced with a picture of a fish forever!!!

1. The Ropers have lived in the beautiful, idyllic village since 1968.
2. The Ropers have objected to every bit of planning permission so far.
3. The Ropers have been complaining about noise levels since 1980.
4. THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT!
-In the mid 1990's the Ropers had another complaint to the council about the noise overturned. They suspected foul play and had one of the officers in the council's environmental health department checked out. The officer who had overturned the complaint was found to be on the payroll of Tussauds.

The outcome of this allowed the Ropers to pursue Tussauds privately with a civil case. Basically they proved that the council could not be relied on to give them a fair judgement so they would have to go through the courts.

The civil cases have come this far because of Alton/Tussauds

5. The case will NEVER get Oblivion removed, or any other ride. They were installed legally. The case is not about ride noise.
6. The case is about general park noise, such as concerts and on park music - as well as "Egging guests on to scream".
7. The park is in the middle of incredibly quiet, beautiful Staffordshire countryside. It's not an urban centre of tourism and excitement. Background noise in the off season is nothing, well, it's pin-drop quiet.
8. Sentences start with capital letters, as does I when referring to yourself ;)
9. The Ropers don't live in Alton Village itself, though there have been ride removals from the village side due to noise issues (Alton Mouse and Beast)
10. Alton has been found guilty of producing too much noise during the day. It was officially recorded by the judge over-seeing the case (he was round their house counting his wads of cash... Whosaidthat?). So there is absolutely, 100%, a noise issue at the Ropers house - this fact cannot be argued or debated.

So, from all of that, we can see it IS a vendetta, but they had lived in the house for 12 years before there was a problem. From a peaceful village home to being slap-bang in the middle of the UK's top tourist attraction (sorry, no, that's PBB ;) ).

You can kind of see their point, but they were trying to turn back the tide (yes, they're a pair of Cnuts). However, the court cases are justified as there was evidence of possible foul play, a reason that the cases always failed. You can see why they have a vendetta if they feel justified that they've been wronged.

However (again), it's been 31 years of misery and massively increased property value in the area, just move the **** out? There's got to be another gorgeous village somewhere else you can go and put your miserable faces? Seriously, the cost and stress to get get so little changed is pointless. They must know the park is there forever, they will never be able to return to 1979 no matter what. Just go.

dominoes

Mega Poster
*slow clap*
You have just put it perfectly. I really couldn't be bothered to read everything, so you have just helped me very much! Thank you

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Erm, in the interest of possible repercussions etc, I'd appreciate it if the Roper's address/hose location was not posted here.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
I highly doubt there is any problem of noise in the village at all. Firstly, the theme park is a good half a mile away from the village itself. Secondly, the only areas that are anywhere near to the village are Dark Forest and Cloud Cuckoo Land, Cloud Cuckoo Land is crossed off the list for a start, and the only noisy ride in Dark Forest is Rita, but even that lasts just a second or two. Finally, they need backing up from a lot more villagers for their claims to be taken this seriously. I don't think this case is going to get them anywhere.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmmmm... I'm not sure if that falls under the rules of ignorance I posted or not as I didn't state where the Ropers lived... I did state it was general park noise though... I didn't state that ALTON TOWERS HAS ALREADY BEEN PROVEN GUILTY OF MAKING TOO MUCH NOISE OUTSIDE OF THE PARK. I probably should have done.

So, I'm editing my post above - please follow the edited version or you will be fished!

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
Thanks, furie.

I suppose Farley would be slightly worse as there're not so many trees between the hamlet and the park. The houses are, however, 0.3 miles away from Sonic Spinball, the nearest 'noisy ride'. Apart from this, there's Old McDonald's Farm, Towers Street, a car park, a field, a lake and a woods seperating it from the rest of the theme park. I can't really imagine the noise would be too unbearable, if even noticeable at all.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Lmao thats hilarious.

On topic, wouldn't the best solution be to put up noise barriers around specific areas of the park? I know they've done it Island of Adventure in Orlando, to keep the noise levels down. The only problem I see with this is that it would take away from the feel of the park, not to mention the cost. But hopefully it would shut this people up about the noise.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Alton are dammed though because they can't build anything that can be seen from outside the park grounds. Anything high enough to block sound would also be visible.

The ground and lay of the land at Alton is also so massively varied, you just can't guarantee it.

Another issue is that you need to use sound absorption techniques, simple barriers don't work (and can often make things worse). Sound absorption is massively expensive, so again prohibitive.

Realistically, Alton need to remember that they cause problems and turn the volume down on the music a bit. Their own regular testing outside the park should help them keep within the limits imposed on them (or at least what would be classed as reasonable limits).

Their problem is that they just go "we're the big company, so stuff you with your silly complaint" rather than trying to compromise.

Though again, they've tried compromising before (offering £250 a night during the fireworks nights for them to go out to a hotel for a few days, etc). Essentially all bridges between them are burnt, but both sides keep adding fuel to the fire :roll:

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
And why wouldn't they take 250 pounds for that? It seems like free cash to me :lol:
Just proves how stupid this people are.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
furie said:
offering £250 a night during the fireworks nights for them to go out to a hotel for a few days, etc

Should have offered them a night in the Alton Towers Hotel. :wink:

Appologies for asking about the exact location of their house. It was slightly thoughtless of me, I don't wish to encourage any antisocial acts against them or get CF in trouble. I was curious to see if they were significantly closer to the park than most people in Farley, it strikes me as strange that they seem to act alone and don't have any other residents backing them up? Is the problem worse for them or are all residents of Farley equally affected?

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Thats why before I was comparing it to CW because these seem to be the only people around the park who have brought the case forward. There doesn't seem to be a whole town movement against the noise.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Similar to CW but Walibi Belguim is right on loads of Peoples back garden. The only complaing people have been doing there is about turbine.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Others who live close either moved in after the park became popular, or are benefiting/profiting from the park in some way.

Either way, they don't really have grounds for complaint, unlike the Ropers who have slippery grounds....