What's new

Alton Towers/Ropers noise complaint rolls on

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
furie said:
We live about a mile from the common.

That must be awful. I only have to work with them. At least I don't have to go home to them as well.

To be honest, I think this whole thing has become a bit of a hobby for the poor old dears. They can obviously afford to keep dragging it on, and have little else to do with their time.

3337313.png

She's SUCH a Disney villain. I think I actually love her. Well, if she wasn't such a ****.

CoasterfanSWE

Roller Poster
To be very honest, I found this truly ridiculous. As far as I am aware, Alton Towers has made a lot to reduce their noise and have been very attentive to what the locals have to say on the noise matter. It's honestly starting to seem like they are doing it for their own enjoyment. What a joke.

Beside, a closure of Alton Towers would mean more people becoming unemployed in the area, as well as economic drops, would it not? How selfish are they?

Ben

CF Legend
I'm about a mile from the M1, and we can the hear the constant, dim noise of that if you open the windows. And then just a field away from the West Coast mainline, and there's always London Midlands mincing on that to annoy us. There's no window rattling though...

... just felt left out of the what I can hear from my house game <//3

I think I must actually be deaf though, becuase I wouldn't be able to hear a coaster from the grass in front of the Towers, so...

Nic

Strata Poster
My windows regularly rattle. In fact, every time a bus/lorry/chavvy car with subwoofers drives past. If I'm lucky, they'll be sat the a red light and I'll be subjected to rattly goodness for a whole 90 seconds. If I'm REALLY lucky, they'll be stuck in the daily traffic jam that goes past my bedroom window, and it'll be rattling away for a good 5 mins.

I don't know why I mentioned that, it's completely irrelevant to the Ropers, just found it kinda cathartic.

Well I can't really contribute to the 'how loud is my garden' thing because I live in the middle of Dorset... However when I lived in Preston I was about a mile away from the m6, double glazing solved what minimal noise problem we had.. And to be honest the only thing I can hear on the lawn outside the towers is sonics brakes. That's all I can hear..

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
blivvies biggest fan said:
Well I can't really contribute to the 'how loud is my garden' thing because I live in the middle of Dorset... However when I lived in Preston I was about a mile away from the m6, double glazing solved what minimal noise problem we had.. And to be honest the only thing I can hear on the lawn outside the towers is sonics brakes. That's all I can hear..

I can't hear the brakes, but the irritating "ding ding" sound can easily be heard from Towers Street.

You make a good point about living next to major source of noise. I live behind one of the country's main railway lines, but I'm not even aware of the trains anymore. It's as if you automatically become accustomed to any sound, and block it out.

Jake

Strata Poster
gavin said:
furie said:
We live about a mile from the common.

That must be awful. I only have to work with them. At least I don't have to go home to them as well.

To be honest, I think this whole thing has become a bit of a hobby for the poor old dears. They can obviously afford to keep dragging it on, and have little else to do with their time.

ropersmalef.png

She's SUCH a Disney villain. I think I actually love her. Well, if she wasn't such a ****.

Fixed <3.

tks

Strata Poster
^ <3

I can hear the M60 when the wind is blowing right, and also the Manchester Metrolink. I might sue public transport and ask if to stop being so noisy.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Like some people, this just never dies.

The Ropers have won the right to take this to the high court to have some of Alton's rides closed and/or removed.

This is going to be a full high court trial and will have massive repercussions for whoever loses.

Essentially, if Alton lose then the Ropers will gain control over the way the park presents itself in terms of noise levels on park and any rides that are in breach will need to be removed or moved to a quieter area. This could mean Oblivion, Spinball and even possibly Nemesis and Air which can be heard outside the park.

However, if Alton win then the court costs will be financially crippling to the Ropers. They lost an appeal to have their court costs limited if they lose, so the total costs could run into hundreds of thousands of pounds.

I'll drop a news item up about it in a little while for you all :)

Martyn B

CF Legend
My first thought, is ****, this ain't good.

The Ropers legal team wouldn't advise taking this to the high court unless they had a substantial chance of winning...

marc

CF Legend
If and it's a big if Alton lost and the rides furie mentioned had to close that would be the end of the park.

100's of people would lose their jobs and local businesses would suffer.

I really do not think they will win, they have tried and tried again. Maybe this time they will just lose and finally nice away.

spicy

Giga Poster
Staffordshire Sentinel said:
High Court judge, Mr Justice Hickinbottom

Lol.

I thought this case had died though, eugh. Just have to hope Alton win the case and the Ropers end up skint and having to sell up and move.

Treeis

Mega Poster
Surely without Alton towers, the local area would just dry up and everyone who wasn't over 60 would relocate to the city...and they would be even worse off because there would be no services.

I can imagine that Alton towers has a big effect on tourism and money in the area. Not to mention jobs

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
marc said:
I wonder if they will put the new coaster on hold until this has been to court?

Nah, they'll carry on regardless. You can't make business decisions based on the potential outcome of court cases, especially when it doesn't affect the decision.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Can anyone, purely for the sake of understanding how close they are to the noisy rides, identify where there house is on a map?

Its name is widely published in the media as Farley House.

It is also regularly reported that they live within 100 yards of the park's entrance, which could be open to some interpretation.