Alton Towers/Ropers noise complaint rolls on

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Ne ... story.html

3337313.png

VILLAGERS have launched a new High Court challenge in a bid to force the closure of Alton Towers, or the relocation of some rides.

Stephen and Suzanne Roper say their lives have been blighted by noise from the theme park and are seeking compensation.

They moved into their home at Farley House, in Farley, in 1968, more than a decade before the first major ride opened at the tourist attraction.

The couple have been fighting since 2002 in both the criminal and civil courts to force the park owners to return some peace and quiet to the area.

In January this year a High Court judge threw out their claim for an injunction and compensation.

However, a more senior judge has now given them fresh hope.

Mr Justice Hickinbottom adjourned the matter to give the Alton Towers management a chance to prepare for the case when it comes back to court.

However, in doing so he said he did it 'with a heavy heart' bearing in mind the escalating costs of the proceedings.

He continued: "The costs of this claim are very considerable. By adjourning today's appeal, those costs can only be increased. Richard Buxton, solicitor for the claimants, has indicated that if this appeal is unsuccessful there will be grave financial difficulties for the claimants."

The Ropers' civil claim was issued in 2004, but not pursued until 2008, as, in the meantime, the Ropers sought a noise abatement order in the magistrates' court. They secured the order, which came into force following lengthy proceedings in May 2007.

However, the Ropers felt that Alton Towers failed to comply, and brought a criminal prosecution, but had to abandon it when a re-organisation of site owners, the Tussauds Group, transferred Alton Towers to a different company that was not the named defendant.

They revived their civil claim, but the judge struck out the claim for delay, finding that it had not been pursued with sufficient urgency and that the park owners could be prejudiced by the difficulty in providing evidence relating to the period prior to 2004.

Now the Ropers say that the judge's decision in January was Draconian and disproportionate, and are asking the High Court to re-activate it.

They also say the judge was wrong to throw out the whole of their claim, when he could have allowed the injunction claim, which they say is the most important aspect, to proceed.

If successful, the Ropers seek an injunction forcing the park owners to close or relocate some rides and an order forcing them to pay damages for noise from 1998 until now.

Mr Buxton said: "The ultimate aim of this case is for Alton Towers to comply with their original planning permission, that noise was not to be heard outside the park, and to take care of their neighbours, which it presently is not.

"It has made life a misery both for my clients and also, to our knowledge, many others in Farley and Alton. We would like Alton Towers to be a good neighbour."

A spokesman for Alton Towers said: "As far as we are concerned, the claim was struck out in January."

If the Ropers fail, it looks like it will hit them hard in the wallet.

Let the bitching commence....

marc

CF Legend
I thought they would let this go after they lost the last case.

From what's been said before others in the village have no problem so it's just silly.

They will lose again then try again their idiots.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Of course they will fail.

I genuinely hope someone at Merlin tries to do them for continued harassment, because this has gone on so long, they've failed so many times.

They must be rolling in it to continually do this. Absurd.

Do they honestly, genuinely believe they can force Alton Towers to close?

I almost wish that would happen so I could see Staffordshire fall into mass unemployment and angry people who profited from Alton, whether they be staff or hotel and B&B owners, restaurant owners, harass the Ropers, until the end of time, and their stupid pottery business crumble with a lack of buyers who were in the area visiting Towers.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Alton towers isn't even that close to any major subdivisions how can they expect to win, when they are the only ones affected?

My home park is surrounded by homes and no complains. I know these people have lived there along time but to me it just stupid to force a whole park to move because one couple doesn't like the noise.

How close do they live to the park?

nealbie

CF Legend
The part I find most amusing, after all this money they've spent on this court case it would have been cheaper to buy and give Alton Towers a Simpsons Movie-style Dome to cover the park as a Christmas present.

They should've stopped by now. But at least they do have a genuine ground to complain, they were there before the park. All those that moved in afterwards rightly keep quiet.

Mind you.....

Nemesis: One careful owner, large, noisy, likes to throw you around, occasionally tries to kill you. :p

Darren B

Giga Poster
What a pair of **** ING sad acts!! I love people who have no life and just spend there there time constantly complaining URGH. So they hear the odd scream here and there, So what!? If you don't like it...MOVE **** ING HOUSE instead of being selfish and trying to bring misery to the hundred of locals that earn a living off Alton Towers like Joey stated above, Nevermind the millions of families that want to spend a day out having fun. Absolute pair of Moron's, I can't wait until i can have that smug smile on me once more when they fail miserably....AGAIN!!

Ben

CF Legend
I thought they'd sashayed, away anyway. Obviously not, that was obviously just a vicious enthusiast rumor <//3

I'm with Joey, I'd secretly love them to be successful just for how much they'd get utterly, utterly spited. I know if they spited Oblivion I'd be first in line outside their house with a bag of dog sh1t and a lighter. Maybe a casual brick or two.

Such disgusting creatures. It's a shame because she could be AMAZING if she was channeling her spite into something else instead of creds <///3

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Why don't they just **** move? Idiots.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Thought they HAD moved after the last fiasco of a court order...

Evidently not, and indeed, have proven that time is circular, perhaps an important discovery for the science community?

As said, it probs won't go through, but would be amusing to see the complete and utter backlash they would get from not just the coaster community, but the local community as well for closing (which won't happen) the biggest source of income for MILES (indeed probably the most income in the whole of Staffordshire)...

When will Towers counter-sue for harrassment?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Venom2053 said:
Alton towers isn't even that close to any major subdivisions how can they expect to win, when they are the only ones affected?

Did we have a chat yesterday about being a bit more careful about what you post as fact? ;)

Venom2053 said:
How close do they live to the park?

They live about 50 yards from the main entrance, along with most of the village of Farley.

Alton village itself sits on the hill directly opposite the plateau Alton sits on, so the noise from Alton goes right across the valley.

Nemesis and Air can both be heard from the main entrance, quite clearly, as can Spinball.

Still doesn't stop them from being a pair of whining old gits mind ;)

marc

CF Legend
Anyone that thinks sound does not travel is a bit silly tbh. We live about 10 mins walk from Adventure Island and depending on what way the wind blows we can hear the rides from AI, including the drop tower and Rage we also hear the screams of rides so people living close to Alton will 100% hear the rides and people.

The stupid thing is with the timing of this case is the park is now shut, so how will they be able to test anything until March when the park opens?

The thing is these people have tried different things for years now and they keep failing, and they will keep on failing. Alton have always gone through the proper planning stages and the rides have been signed off, 13 is a lot quieter than the Corky ever was and rides cannot be seen about tree height.

There would be hundreds of people that would be out of work if the park ever shut and a lot of local firms would go if the park ever shut. If the park shut due to them I am sure the locals will not be happy.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
furie said:
Venom2053 said:

Did we have a chat yesterday about being a bit more careful about what you post as fact? ;)

No I just looked it up on google earth and found that there wasn't as many houses as there are around CW.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Canada's+W ... o&t=h&z=15

Compared to Alton:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Alton+Towe ... 0&t=h&z=15

I just think they have no right to complain when there are noisier parks with a larger population surrounding it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Is Canada's Wonderland in the middle of an area of rural English countryside, or part of/close to a city? Hell, I'll bet that the freeway at night pumps out more noise than CW does.

The original noise abatement order placed on Alton Towers said that the Ropers should not be able to hear a whisper in the night from their front room. I suspect anyone living near Canada's wonderland can hear considerably more than that all of the time. Yet, that's how quiet the area is when Alton isn't operating.

The two just simply can't be compared. Their complaint is pretty ridiculous, but it's such a massively different environment they can't be compared in the slightest.

spicy

Giga Poster
Oh great the Roper's are back I thought they had gone :(

People are saying they will fail again but they have won a case before and had a noise order placed on AT, thats why Alton had to remove the 'Don't Look Down' speakers on Oblivion.

Just hope they lose again, Merlin have much more financial clout than the Ropers and im sure they would fight all they could if the court did order them to remove a £12 million+ investment such as Oblivion.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Courts always have to take everything into consideration.

They will not order the removal of multi-million pound installations, or close down important businesses for the sake of to moaning gits.

They will ask that Alton are as considerate as they can be and impose a measure for that consideration. The park and rides pass planning permission and as long as they are built and operated within the restriction placed on the permission, then they're fine.

The complaints came from:
- Causing unwarranted screaming due to theme (i.e. Oblivion).
- Constant loud music from speakers in Towers Street.
- Occasional loud noises from concerts such as the Pink Concert etc.
- Fireworks

The court can ask Alton to make concessions in these areas, but beyond that, it's all in the realms of an operating theme park business and the zoning and permissions all reflect that.

Essentially, as long as Alton work within the law then the Ropers have to put up or shut up. If Alton are deliberately pushing the boundaries though (with concerts and often the music on Towers Street is very loud), then they can get hauled up and fined.

For the courts it's a minor balancing act, but they'll certainly not be asking for Alton to removed rides (or close down) as it's not in commercial interest, commercial interest that was gained completely legally (kind of, let's not go there).

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster
These people don't give a stuff at all, they just love being on the news and receiving attention. If the "noise" was that unbearable, they would have moved years ago.

I bet the neighbours don't like these creatures much, either. What thoroughly unpleasant people.

addy2503

Mega Poster
I really, really don't get it. If they dislike Alton that much, then why don't they do something that might actually work, like trying to get Alton's planning applications turned down, instead of continually attempting to get things that have already been built taken down?

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
^Or why don't they just leave like sensible people. You don't like your neighbourhood, you move to a new one.