What's new

WTF BPB?

rob666

Hyper Poster
Not quite WTF but still BPB related.

They've just released their radio ad for this years Hot Ice show. Nothing wrong with the ad, except it uses the Icon soundtrack without mentioning any of the park itself, or anything about Valhalla. Just seems a bit odd. Doesn't appear to be a separate park based ad running alongside it, just the Hot Ice one...
Mandy has done this for years.
Another example...leaflet stands at Mway services and in Coral Island...
Lots of posh laminated leaflets for Hot Ice, but not a one for the Beach.
The Beach makes money, Hot Ice loses lots of money.
But only one is Mandy's pet vanity project.
Scrap the crap show, use those funds to build new rides.
Or slowly go bust.

RevolutionRuleZ

Mega Poster
Mandy has done this for years.
Another example...leaflet stands at Mway services and in Coral Island...
Lots of posh laminated leaflets for Hot Ice, but not a one for the Beach.
The Beach makes money, Hot Ice loses lots of money.
But only one is Mandy's pet vanity project.
Scrap the crap show, use those funds to build new rides.
Or slowly go bust.
What offends me even more is that better shows (Eclipse) were given the boot decades yet staff have to be paid to attend the Ice Shows opening night to make it look busy for the press.

There are many more urgent issues within BPB, sorting out the National/Streak/Avalanche for a start, not to mention a more organised catering service across the park, that should take priority over an ice show thats loosing money year after year.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I must have been to the Pleasure Beach countless times since I was a kid, and not once have I ever seen (or wanted to see) the Hot Ice show (or any show that came before it).
Has anyone here ever actually watched it? Is it any good, or was I right to have dismissed it for all these years?

Robbie

Hyper Poster
I must have been to the Pleasure Beach countless times since I was a kid, and not once have I ever seen (or wanted to see) the Hot Ice show (or any show that came before it).
Has anyone here ever actually watched it? Is it any good, or was I right to have dismissed it for all these years?
Never seen it, but about 10 years ago I did visit the park with friends who weren't as interested in rides as I am so they went to watch the Ice show as it was included in the ticket and said it was OK, though largely empty.

rob666

Hyper Poster
You naughty man.
It is a fantastically produced show, top notch sound and lighting, well choreographed, stunning costumes and performers, chucking out the top triple spins...well worth seeing.
Once.
Runs to about 20% audience, the actual auditorium has long held rumours of rodent issues, and the plumbing is bad...they keep fixing it, but it keeps smelling.
It is free to watch the afternoon show (1 hr) on your wristband, and is really worth the effort.
Once.
Preferably back in the seventies, where it belongs.

I go every few years, never failed to enjoy it, we always have a side bet on the number of fallers (range 1 to 5 per performance).
If it had been scrapped twenty years ago, they would have had about twenty million quidsworth of new rides.
Instead, we have glitter on slush, with a smell of poo.
Very, very, Blackpool.

Give it a go Howie...fine northern cultural phenomenon.
Probably.

RevolutionRuleZ

Mega Poster
Agree with the above, if it were on at virtually any other venue I'd be more than happy to see it, however when I'm at BPB I am there for coasters, so it simply can't get my interest.

Back in my childhood, when the park remained open until people stopped spending, which guaranteed beyond midnight closes regularly during the summer/illuminations I would go see it with my parents (with a stack of ride tickets burning a hole in my pocket, to the point that in the interval I'd jump on the Nash) I didn't feel I was missing out on ride time because you were certain to find the park buzzing at around 10pm when the show finished, often with 2-3 hours left.

However these days when ride time is very limited, often you are looking at 11-5 by the time things actually open, to take an hour out is a big ask, especially when most will also take time out for food. Factor in as well Nick Land closing at 4, and some rides not opening till 12, it doesn't inspire anyone to 'waste' ride time on the show, especially when everyone has had to pay to get in.

As for the evening show, again reassess the park hours. If the park closed around the time the evening show started you might get more people taking it on, but who will leave BPB at 5pm and still be in the area at 7.30?

rob666

Hyper Poster
Agree with the above, if it were on at virtually any other venue I'd be more than happy to see it, however when I'm at BPB I am there for coasters, so it simply can't get my interest.

Back in my childhood, when the park remained open until people stopped spending, which guaranteed beyond midnight closes regularly during the summer/illuminations I would go see it with my parents (with a stack of ride tickets burning a hole in my pocket, to the point that in the interval I'd jump on the Nash) I didn't feel I was missing out on ride time because you were certain to find the park buzzing at around 10pm when the show finished, often with 2-3 hours left.

However these days when ride time is very limited, often you are looking at 11-5 by the time things actually open, to take an hour out is a big ask, especially when most will also take time out for food. Factor in as well Nick Land closing at 4, and some rides not opening till 12, it doesn't inspire anyone to 'waste' ride time on the show, especially when everyone has had to pay to get in.

As for the evening show, again reassess the park hours. If the park closed around the time the evening show started you might get more people taking it on, but who will leave BPB at 5pm and still be in the area at 7.30?
Interval, jump on the Nash...now why did I never think of that!
Oh, the evening show, ninety minutes of glittery slush.
Nope, not that much of a fan.
They do a Hot Ice season pass for around ninety quid...
Bet they sell loads.

RevolutionRuleZ

Mega Poster
Interval, jump on the Nash...now why did I never think of that!
Oh, the evening show, ninety minutes of glittery slush.
Nope, not that much of a fan.
They do a Hot Ice season pass for around ninety quid...
Bet they sell loads.
These days it would probably take the length of the interval to park the thing lol

Sandman

Giga Poster
On the subject of Steeplechase, I have been hoping for years now that they'd just get rid of it. I'm rather bored of so-called 'heritage' taking precedence when it blocks progress.

Fair enough, a couple of historic woodies, keep 'em if we must (I would personally prefer at least one to go in favour of a new investment)

But Steeplechase is critically low-capacity, and mainly an afterthought for the GP of 2023. It's definitely hasn't aged well, because it was never as uncomfortable as it is these days.

Coupled with the equally uneventful Chinese Puzzle Maze and under-utilised Space Invader building, you have what is likely the biggest footprint for a major investment in an area of the park that could really do with a crowd muncher.

I don't know what financial position BPB are in right now but the park will not fare well if we have another 2 decades without a significant new attraction.

rob666

Hyper Poster
But you would still have the dipper, icon, big one and streak in the way!
The space invader is the biggest catering outlet on the park, with the blue flyer under it, and the streak all around it.
When you knock the other half a dozen attractions off the footprint, steeplechase doesn't actually have a footprint at all.
I watched it being built as a teenage thoosie, and was absolutely saddened on seeing the speed of the horses on opening day.
Quite right sir, scrap the pile of ****e.
I still do it no handed all the way round...apart from the brakes.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Icon and Streak can be worked around easier without Steeplechase, and that catering unit is pisspoor at best (never quite seen it busy myself).

I do appreciate the point you make, but I certainly see it as an obvious area for improvement/major investment in the future, especially in a park of this size.

To be fair, I think there are a growing number of areas that could be improved at the moment.

emoo

Hyper Poster
I'm going for the first time in about 10 years this September with someone who's never been. I'm both excited and nervous about what we will find. If he shows interest in the show I guess we will watch it. Once. I've not seen it or want to spend non park time there. I'd rather be ripped off on Enso (should have been free).

The Hot Ice affair draining the park is sad. Performers must be happy for a job using their talents, but how does it feel doing shows for an empty crowd? Is 80% of the seats enough space for an attraction?! How big or great could Space Invader 3 be if it used the entire show building? Does the show give Blackpool more of a useful spin overall than we give credit for?

Steeple Chase is harrowing and I enjoy the novelty. Handy for nerds to state where you lie with creds in just one park (thank you very much Möbius Loop). But who wouldn't be amazed to see something new interwoven into the puzzle. Would be sad to see it go but nothing like the mouse tragedy. I wonder what it would be that actually pulls in the punters.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Continuing on from my previous post, it also amuses me that the reborn Southport Pleasureland currently have a radio ad on the same station, which IMO is a much better ad than Hot Ice.

Must be some irony that the park BPB closed down now has a better marketing team than BPB...

Also, have been tempted by the afternoon Hot Ice show, only because it's included on the wristband. Ultimately always chose rides over show, though agree it's probably worth watching once

RevolutionRuleZ

Mega Poster
For me Steeplechase is a laugh, it may not be the most thrilling but I always come off it smiling, the overall experience is fun and the racing element adds to it.

I agree with Rob that without removing at least one major ride you'd see next to no space gained by its closure. I also wonder how many enthusiasts of the future would look back at photos of it, wishing for the chance to ride the worlds last Steeplechase just like so many of us do the Reel and Wild Mouse today.

I really don't see any reason to remove it, and don't buy the space argument either around it taking up so called prime real estate. I was a regular in the 90's, BPB had 13 coasters, 3 transport rides, more dark rides, an insanely long Flume ride and about double the number of flat rides it has today, plus a ridiculous amount of indoor catering. Its got more dead space now than its ever had in my lifetime, and the idea of taking out yet more rides is something I assure you simply is not necessary.

Bowser

Mega Poster

Does the park never stay open in the evening anymore?

I've not been for about 25 years now and was hoping to take my family one day. Really fond memories of staying up late and seeing all the rides and lights operating in the dark, the atmosphere used to feel amazing.

1687988344140.png

Sandman

Giga Poster
If I'm honest, I don't think anybody cares about Steeplechase outside of a tiny minority of people that may draw some sentimental value or an enthusiast with a knowledge and care for maintaining particular ride types for heritage purposes.

I never really hear anybody talk or remark about it, even after a day at the Pleasure Beach.

In terms of space, I mean, it's fairly indisputable that it takes up a reasonable plot of land, despite a couple of other rides running through it fairly low to ground. Just look on Google Maps. It's not unrealistic for a modern, compact coaster to be able to manoeuvre around those rides and work with the remaining available space.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think BPB are going to go for that kind of investment for a while. I just think Steeplechase has had its time and the land could be repurposed for something better.

RevolutionRuleZ

Mega Poster
If I'm honest, I don't think anybody cares about Steeplechase outside of a tiny minority of people that may draw some sentimental value or an enthusiast with a knowledge and care for maintaining particular ride types for heritage purposes.

I never really hear anybody talk or remark about it, even after a day at the Pleasure Beach.
You could say that about most things though surely? When did anyone last mention the Revolution or the Streak? Infact the only time the woodies get mentioned is to whinge about how rough they are.

I think BPB has lost too many historical and unique rides in recent decades and its lost part of what made it feel special, so I see no point in removing and more at this point. A brief summery;

Vikingar, a classic side friction wooden Water Chute, replaced by nothing.

Noahs Ark, one of only 2 left in the world stood idle at the entrance.

Wild Mouse, one of only 3 rides of its type in the world (i think) gone, replaced by nothing.

Gold Mine, a ride that wouldn't look out of place in Disney, replaced by Wallace and Grommet.....seriously?

Magic Mountain, a classic children's dark ride from the 30's, replaced by a outdoor boat ride with static scenery.

The original Log Flume this side the pond, replaced with Infusion of all things.

The Whip, very rare flat ride, replaced by the worst set of Dodgems I have ever seen.

Turtle Chase, another rare type of flat ride, replaced by nothing. I'm pretty sure at the design stage had it still been standing, Icon could have gone around this.

Thats before we get into the not so significant ride removals with either none, or somewhat questionable replacements (Black Hole, Trauma Towers, Monorail ect)

We all seem to acknowledge that Alton Towers has a flat ride problem, and that it needs more to soak up the crowds. I feel BPB has that problem too, just its not contained to flat rides. Too many of what were once 'B or C' rides have gone and at the same time the capacity of whats left has been cut, resulting in anything that even resembles a busy day being more trouble than its worth. Removing anything at this stage should be out of the question IMO.

rob666

Hyper Poster

In terms of space, I mean, it's fairly indisputable that it takes up a reasonable plot of land, despite a couple of other rides running through it fairly low to ground. Just look on Google Maps. It's not unrealistic for a modern, compact coaster to be able to manoeuvre around those rides and work with the remaining available space.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think BPB are going to go for that kind of investment for a while. I just think Steeplechase has had its time and the land could be repurposed for something better.
I dispute it!
I dispute it all!
You are looking from an individual perspective.
How many little girls love ponies.
My little pony freaks.
Bronies.
All equestrian freaks.
Every horseracing fan, drunk, and just back from the bookies.

I hear thoosies, little girls, horsey mates and teenagers say what a fun and original ride it is...(even though it is ****.)
It always has a queue of families and racing groups...dippy dave beat me every last time last year.
It fits with the Nash, Derby Racer, Gallopers etc on the horsey theme around the park...opened by Red Rum remember.
It has no footprint...there are more than a couple of rides around it, count again!
Train, big one, icon, dipper, streak, maze...so no exclusive footprint bar the station!
There is lots of other space to build on...bloody great north car park, bowladrome site, mouse and dome site...all there without losing a unique (crap) ride...
Steeplechase is going nowhere, despite being ****.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Again, I'm not saying Steeplechase is going anywhere.

But to argue it even has relative popularity is absurd to me, because it really doesn't.

It only ever has a queue because its capacity is dreadful, let's be honest.

Historical significance? It's not really got one. Being unique doesn't determine historical significance. And eccentricity does not equal quality.

I don't want to to and fro for several pages on this thread so I'll just end with the observation that S&S still offer this coaster type and have so far have had no buyers. That sums up the popularity and demand for this coaster type. I'm all for preserving classic coasters for their historical significance and heritage. But if BPB cannot be more selective then it's going to be sink and not swim.