What's new

Which B&M coaster model is your favourite?

Which B&M coaster model is your favourite?

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Over the years, B&M have produced numerous different models of coaster. From Inverted Coasters and Flying Coasters to Hyper Coasters and even brief forays into family coasters, this iconic manufacturer has produced many different models of roller coaster, with each one having its own unique quirks. So I’d be keen to know; which B&M coaster model is your personal favourite?

Personally, I’d have to vote for the Hyper Coaster. I’ve ridden 2 examples of the ride type, Mako and Silver Star, and they are both sublime rides; I absolutely love the strong sustained airtime, awesome sense of speed, and smooth and comfortable ride experience!

This is closely followed by the Dive Coaster; similarly to the Hyper Coaster, I absolutely love the sustained airtime feeling and sense of speed you get on them, although it’s never quite as good as the same sensations on Hyper Coasters, from my experience.

I’d probably rank the models as follows:
  1. Hyper Coaster - 2 ridden
  2. Dive Coaster - 2 ridden
  3. Inverted Coaster - 5 ridden
  4. Floorless Coaster - 1 ridden
  5. Sitting Coaster - 2 ridden
  6. Wing Coaster - 1 ridden (This model would previously have been 3rd, but with Swarm growing increasingly bouncy and me growing less fond of the vest restraints with time, it has slipped over time)
  7. Stand-Up Coaster - 0 ridden (I haven’t ridden a B&M stand-up, but based on Shockwave at Drayton Manor, where I find the standup riding position a bit weird but not absolutely abhorrent, I’d probably put the stand-up in this position as a guesstimate)
  8. Flying Coaster - 2 ridden
I haven’t done a Family Inverted Coaster. Give me about a fortnight and I should have done the only operating B&M Surf Coaster, seeing as I’m setting off to Florida for 2 weeks on Saturday.

But which B&M coaster model is your favourite? How would you rank the B&M models?

Sandman

Giga Poster
As much as I love a big old B&M hyper, I'm forever an inverted fanboy (especially of the old school variety).

My personal observations:
- They're never horrendously rough, which can't be said about a lot of other old B&M coaster types.
- Always some intensity packed into the layout somewhere.
- Fab seating position
- Its a coaster type that other manufacturers have never mastered as well as B&M
- My favourite inversions are mainly on B&M inverts

I feel as though most enthusiasts love a good B&M invert, but they are often overlooked and no longer the 'star' attraction of the parks they are in.
The true dark horse of the coaster world.

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
If this were simply a question of what model my highest ranked B&M is, then it would be the Hyper Coaster by a long shot. However, I've come to find that Fury 325 is the exception, not the rule for B&M Hypers, and the rest of them find themselves significantly further down in my list. Since this is about models as a whole, I've decided to go about this from an average ranking standpoint.
Dive Coasters:

Sheikra (72)
Griffon (73)
Valravn (153)

Average Ranking: 99.3

Floorless Coasters:

Dominator (79)
Kraken (83)
Medusa (109)
Hydra (121)

Average Ranking: 98.0

Flying Coasters:

Manta (43)
Superman - Ultimate Flight (100)
Superman - Ultimate Flight (101)

Average Ranking: 81.3

Hyper Coasters:

Fury 325 (8)
Mako (26)
Goliath (35)
Diamondback (39)
Orion (44)
Candymonium (56)
Intimidator (76)
Nitro (106)
Apollo's Chariot (111)

Average Ranking: 55.7

Inverted Coasters:

Afterburn (22)
Alpengeist (31)
Montu (33)
Batman the Ride (38)
Talon (41)
Great Bear (47)
Raptor (57)
Banshee (63)
Batman the Ride (66)

Average Ranking: 44.2

Sitting Coasters:

Kumba (29)
Incredible Hulk (61)

Average Ranking: 45.0

Standing Coasters:

Green Lantern (190)
Vortex (194)

Average Ranking: 192.0

Wing Coasters:

Thunderbird (58)
Wild Eagle (75)
Gatekeeper (115)

Average Ranking 82.7
In order of favorite to least favorite, with average rankings in parentheses:

1: Inverted Coaster (44.2)
2: Sitting Coaster (45.0)
3: Hyper Coaster (55.7)
4: Flying Coaster (81.3)
5: Wing Coaster (82.7)
6: Floorless Coaster (98.0)
7: Dive Coaster (99.3)
8: Standing Coaster (192.0)

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Tough one actually. I plumped for hyper coasters in the end mainly because of the magnificence that is Shambhala, but I uhm-ed and ahh-ed long and hard over inverts, dive coasters and wing coasters to be honest cos they're all fab and all have stand-out examples.
It's definitely not stand up coasters that's for sure and probably not floorless coasters either because there isn't one particular example that makes the model truly shine.
Tatsu is awesome, but flyers on the whole don't really pump my nads.
Haven't ridden the surf coaster yet, should be riding it later this year but I can't see it beating out the good old B&M hyper to be honest.
Yeah... hypers for me.

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
My overall favorite model is their inverted coasters model.
I have almost never had a dull moment on any of their inverted coasters. Where all their other models always have some good/impressive ones, but also some bad/less impressive ones.

1. Inverted (13)
  2. Flying (3)
  3. Sitdown (3) / Floorless (5)
  4. Hyper (2) / Wing (4) / Dive (6) / Standup (2) (Not that forcefull or too much difference between good & bad)

But when i go and check out any specific ride i've done, out of the 38 B&M coaster i've done, then Shambala (hyper) is my number one.
The only other B&M hyper i've done (Silverstar), ends somewhere at the bottom of my list, because It was more like a bigger kiddie coaster when I did this one over 10 years ago. It was relatively slow and had no forces which could have impressed me.

My top 10:
  1. Shambhala (hyper)
  2. Nemesis (inverted)
  3. Montu (inverted)
  4. Katun (inverted)
  5. Tatsu (flying)
  6. Manta (flying)
  7. Oziris (inverted)
  8. Riddler's Revenge (standup)
  9. Dragon Khan (sitdown)
  10. Fenix (wing)

Last edited:

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
My ranking would have to go as follows

1. Hyper (2)
2. Invert (3)
3. Sitdown (2) (Not gonna lie Hulk is the only reason this is so high)
4. Flying (2)
5. Dive (2)
6. Wing (2)
7: Floorless (1 standard and 1 conversion)

Haven't ridden:

Stand-Up
Surf

lom.lom.lom

Roller Poster
1. Hyper - including gigas I've ridden 10 and 6 of them are my highest ranked B&Ms
2. Dive - even with vests on a few, the first drop is amazing. Griffon, Yukon, and SheiKra are among my fav B&Ms
3. Invert - would be above dive if not for a few that I dislike greatly (Banshee and SFGAdv Batman). Alpie, Montu, and SFoG Batman are elite
4. Floorless - I'll always have a soft spot for Medusa (east) and Hydra, Kraken is now my fav, Firebird is my lowest ranked B&M
5. Sitting - Kumba is amazing
6. Wing - would be higher if seats weren't so bouncy, I love Thunderbird in the front row
7. Flying - mostly a drag, even Superman at SFoG, you're just looking at the ground the whole time
8. Stand Up - painful and sometimes fun, bottom by default

Haven't done pipeline yet

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
That is tough, they've nearly all got their highs and lows. Turns out I'm on 99 now, so the next will be a B&M milestone!

1) Flyers (11/11!) - the best of which is my favourite overall B&M (Flying DInosaur). I love the intensity these things can put out and the fact that all of them, bar 1, do just that, to varying success, makes them a contender for the top spot. They're also something no one else does better, and I think that's important, even though it's a clone fest in the bottom half.

2) Hypers (13) - would always be a solid pick. It's hard not to like one of these in isolation, though I've never been a true believer of them. Fury is most likely my 2nd favourite B&M and a couple of others are well up there. They also never get cloned, a personal triumph.

3) Inverts (28) - the prevalance of Batman may well drag this category down. It forces so many of the type into being a one and done, though it's such a solid ride as is. Pyreness probably rounds out the top 3 B&Ms these days and I used to really have a thing for any invert, as no doubt many Brits in particular do, it just faded over the years.

4) Wings (12) - don't know much to say about them, they're an interesting offering, usually great-looking and lend themselves well to a good theme. Yet to find one that really pops though.

5) Floorless (13) - would struggle to say I love any, they range from decent to poor

6) Dive (13) - I only really love 1 and some have outright offended me more recently.

7) Sit-down (4) - meh, floorless with a floor.

8) Stand-ups (4) - meh, sit-downs but standing.

9) Family Invert (1) - is a thing

Well now I'm annoyed that surf is a thing, because I'm clearly missing out.

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Over the years, B&M have produced numerous different models of coaster. From Inverted Coasters and Flying Coasters to Hyper Coasters and even brief forays into family coasters, this iconic manufacturer has produced many different models of roller coaster, with each one having its own unique quirks. So I’d be keen to know; which B&M coaster model is your personal favourite?

Personally, I’d have to vote for the Hyper Coaster. I’ve ridden 2 examples of the ride type, Mako and Silver Star, and they are both sublime rides; I absolutely love the strong sustained airtime, awesome sense of speed, and smooth and comfortable ride experience!

This is closely followed by the Dive Coaster; similarly to the Hyper Coaster, I absolutely love the sustained airtime feeling and sense of speed you get on them, although it’s never quite as good as the same sensations on Hyper Coasters, from my experience.

I’d probably rank the models as follows:
  1. Hyper Coaster - 2 ridden
  5. Sitting Coaster - 2 ridden
  6. Wing Coaster - 1 ridden (This model would previously have been 3rd, but with Swarm growing increasingly bouncy and me growing less fond of the vest restraints with time, it has slipped over time)
  7. Stand-Up Coaster - 0 ridden (I haven’t ridden a B&M stand-up, but based on Shockwave at Drayton Manor, where I find the standup riding position a bit weird but not absolutely abhorrent, I’d probably put the stand-up in this position as a guesstimate)
I haven’t done a Family Inverted Coaster. Give me about a fortnight and I should have done the only operating B&M Surf Coaster, seeing as I’m setting off to Florida for 2 weeks on Saturday.

But which B&M coaster model is your favourite? How would you rank the B&M models?
Having now ridden the Surf Coaster, I’d go with the following:
  1. Hyper Coaster - 1 ridden
  5. Sitting Coaster - 2 ridden (this and the Floorless Coaster are quite interchangeable for me, although with Hulk being weaker and Kraken being roughly on par with Kumba, the average quality of Floorless Coasters is currently slightly higher for me)
  6. Wing Coaster - 1 ridden
  7. Surf Coaster - 1 ridden

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The correct answer is Hyper - it's ranked highest on so many people's list. But the heartfelt answer is Inverted. For many, it's the first B&M model they met and fell in love with. It's also a segment noone else has really ever cracked nor worked out, and still remains "solid B&M territory" even 30ish years on.

Hutch

Strata Poster
The hyper coaster has consistently ranked high for me compared to the other models. Most of the ones I've ridden used to be in my Top 30, but as I expand my menu I've come to realize not all of them are amazing. That said, I've got three in my Top 30: Fury (if that counts), Shambhala, and Mako.

Invert would be the next choice, with Nemesis and Silver Bullet representing in the Top 30. Inverts are my biggest collection of the B&M models, and they're the old reliable loopers that are consistently good-to-great.

That's surprisingly it with only 5 B&Ms in my Top 30. I think after that I'd rank the models something like this.

3. Flyers
4. Wing
5. Sit-down
6. Dive
7. Floorless
8. Stand-up

Inverts just because I love the pure intensity and whippiness over the graceful and floaty hypers that have very mediocre airtime. Also Montu is the only B&M in my top 10.

Giga and Hyper mainly because I'm beginning to stray away from inversion based coasters! But a nice, graceful invert is usually still something I enjoy as long as it's not killing me with positive Gs. I want to say flying coaster, but they're too hit and miss for me. Something like Flying Dino, I wouldn't bat an eye if it got demolished today. Galactica and Tatsu? Loved them (minus the pretzel).