What's new

Vekoma New-Gen Coasters Discussion Thread

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'm slightly confused about something... Are the Vekoma Hyper Space Warp and Energy Storm the same thing? We haven't seen any Energy Storms pop up yet or even know the layout, but I'm sure Vekoma chaned the name to Hyper Space Warp, yet RCDB claims there are two under construction. Unless this is to be the unannounced layout Vekoma have planned to be released.

adrenaline1996

Mega Poster
Funnily enough, Vekoma did tender the project (Icon) and didn't get it. Their layout was quite different and it had another launch over by the Go Karts Track where the train would stop, then launch again from static. The layout was really cool and to be honest, I'd have been quite happy with it.

Intamin also apparently pitched an idea similar to Taron, but with absolutely no theming items, terrain interaction or ride interaction, so PBB decided against it and went with Mack instead.
Do you have any pictures of the Vekoma layout?

Matt N

CF Legend
I'm not sure if this is the full story, but I remember watching a PBE Q&A where they said something along the lines of;
  • The manufacturers that tendered the Icon project were Mack, Intamin and Vekoma.
  • Out of the initial layouts, the Mack one was actually BPB's least favourite, but due to the Thompsons' strong relationship with the Mack family, they opted for Mack and did some tweaks instead of going with a different manufacturer.
EDIT: Whoops, sorry for going off-topic; never realised this was a Vekoma topic until after typing my reply!

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
That 200* stall looks like it was pulled directly off Wicked Cyclone and I am HERE FOR IT? Love what I can see of this layout so far!

Benenen

Hyper Poster
That looks great, like a hybrid of a zero-g stall and a cutback. Between this, Taiga and Steel Curtain it's interesting to see stalls becoming more of a normal thing on non RMC coasters. And of course it's amazing to see Vekoma pump out more ambitious and intense looking layouts.

Ries

Mega Poster
This could be a really interesting stall. Looks incredible and wonky funky from this angle.
Also, great music under the video ?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
That looks great, like a hybrid of a zero-g stall and a cutback. Between this, Taiga and Steel Curtain it's interesting to see stalls becoming more of a normal thing on non RMC coasters. And of course it's amazing to see Vekoma pump out more ambitious and intense looking layouts.
Just want to point out that Steel Curtain was designed by Joe Draves of Ride Centerline, so you'll likely be seeing stalls on his coasters on a regular basis whether they're RMCs or not. I also don't think that Intamin and Vekoma will be the only other manufacturers to incorporate the element into their designs, which is a good thing.