What's new

Turn right at the 430ft drop tower - Day Four: SeaWorld and more!

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah but 'popping back to Tampa a couple of weeks later to nab the cred' isn't quite as easy! 😝

Edit* actually when you think about it, I suppose it is. The principle's the same innit? Just a longer flight. Mince over there on Sat morning, spend the afternoon at Busch, fly back Sunday. Boom!

Don't go putting ideas in our heads @Howie 😂

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Day Three: SeaWorld Universal Studios

Some days just don't go to plan. We arrived at SeaWorld, my favourite of the Florida parks, and pretty much everything was shut. No coasters. No food stalls. The only thing to do was the penguin exhibit. It was dire.

We were aware before flying out of some ride maintenance closures, like ROTM and Montu. SeaWorld didn't mention theirs though. Only once we walked in did we realise Manta and Journey To Atlantis were out of action. Mako and Kraken were also closed because it was a little bit rainy and windy. (Whilst Silver Star looked on and laughed as it ran throughout Europa Parks Christmas event)

I had planned on eating breakfast in the park, but we couldn't find a single food place open. Come on SeaWorld, I was trying to give you my money! The freestyle drinks machines were all switched off as well. With the weather forecast looking rubbish for the day, we abandoned SeaWorld and went to Universal Studios. Most of their rides are indoors. Weather proof! We are being smart, we thought...until we remembered it's a Saturday.

You can imagine the scene, I was hungry, annoyed and staring at an app watching queue times (rip ride) rocket up. The whole reason we planned SeaWorld for Saturday is because the park doesn't ever seem to draw big crowds, but instead we were going to have to spend hours queueing for simulator rides at Universal. Funny how this bothered me significantly less once I had stuffed my face with snacks 😅

Screenshot_20220220-225048_Gallery.jpg

Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket was testing when we arrived and my ridey-sense was tingling.

We need to hang around the entrance because it will open soon, I predicted. But we also have a small window of opportunity to ride it, because I just checked the weather and the Sohne isn't shining til tomorrow.

10 minutes later we smuggly strolled down the exit ramp, safe in our knowledge that we were one of the very few people who got to ride H:RRR in the 20 minutes it operated for that day.

(Song choice, you ask? Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart)

H:RRR is fun but dated. I can see why there's not Maurer these coasters around. They don't do anything particularly well, and if you took away the soundtrack the ride would be rather lacklustre.

Springfield, Springfield it's a hell of an ...area.

Screenshot_20220220-224131_Gallery.jpg

Everytime I come to Universal Studios, Springfield is where I spend the most time. (Remarkable given the ride is kinda rubbish)

But hey, if you're a Simpsons fan, it's kinda fitting that the ride isn't some dazzling showy spectacular. Because the endearing ordinaryness of The Simpsons is what makes them so appealing. The ride doesn't need to be good, just as The Simpsons characters don't need to be either. Also fitting, using a ride system thats glory days were in the 90s...just like the episodes. Simulators and Seasons 2 -6 have so much in common!

Okay, dear reader. We've hit a wall because I genuinely can't remember what we did after Springfield. I know it involved a long queue, a tedious pre-show and lots of screens. But that doesn't help, does it? It barely narrows it down at all!

In no particular order, here are the things we watched:
- The Bourne Stuntacular
- The Horror Make Up Show
- Spongebob Dance Party Parade
- Transformers: The Ride
- Fast and Furious: Supercharged
- Harry Potter and the Escape From Gringotts

Note my use of the word watched. A common criticism of Universal Studios is the heavy use of screens in rides. But of course Universal uses screens - it's a movie based park! You can't "ride the movies" without watching them!

But therein lies the issue. When you ride a Universal ride, it feels as though you are watching it happen as opposed to experiencing it. It places riders in a passive situation, where stuff happens around you rather than to you.

But what's the solution? Animatronics? What makes an animatronic robot feel more real than an image on a screen? Do screen-based rides prevent immersion as we spend so much of our day to day life interacting with screens? Do screens feel too normal, too everyday to fulfill the intangible task of suspending our disbelief during a theme park ride? Why is the task of immersion so trustingly placed in the plastic arms of an animatronic?

Why does a screen always feel cheap (even when I know the animation alone in the Transformers scenes cost loads) and unconvincing?

It doesn't help that the narrative is always the same: good guys need the help of rookies to save the day against bad guys, congratulations you did it!

Wow, sounds like Sgt. Bash needs to get back in his zone! This isn't Alton Towers Berry Bish Bash! Maybe I'm being too harsh. Or maybe Universal Studios just isn't worth bothering with when Revenge of The Mummy is down. Not even the Medjai can save our day at Universal now... :(

So we did the sensible thing, single ridered Gringotts (Stand By queue: 2 hours - we waited 30 minutes in Single Rider and still ended up on the same train!) then went back to Islands of Adventure for night rides on VelociCoaster. A thing which ended up becoming quite the habit for the majority of the trip!

Thanks for reading installment three, I nearly veered off into Baudrillard Simulacra theory again when discussing screens - but then I remembered my Black Mirror Trip Report exists and decided to spare you. Just like Voldemort spared me on Gringotts. Just like the Decepticons spared me on Transformers. Just like Sideshow Bob spared me on The Simpsons. Just like International Crime Cartel spared me on Fast and Furious Supercharged. In a day full of saving the day, thanks VelociCoaster for actually saving the day - by not being a ride about saving the day!

Matt N

CF Legend
Great report @Serena; a really interesting read as always, and it seems like you guys are having (or had) a great trip so far!

It’s a shame you don’t seem to especially like Universal, however; I personally remember loving USF last time I went back in 2016, but I don’t personally mind the screens (in fact, I think they can be quite fun)! I get that screens aren’t for everyone, though, and if you’re not a screen lover, there’s not an awful lot for you at USF, and I think that’s been exacerbated since my last trip. Do you feel that IOA has the same issue, or is this an issue exclusive to USF, in your opinion?

I also remember quite liking HRRR in 2016, but like it seemingly isn’t for you, it wasn’t one of my all-time favourite coasters (which is odd, as it was right up there with Swarm for me the first time I rode it, and is interestingly the first time I ever remember feeling airtime on a coaster!). I do wonder how highly I’d rate it if I were to ride it again now, as I’ve ridden coasters since that do the whole airtime and exposed restraints thing amazingly, such as Icon and Mako (my last ride on HRRR was at a point in my 2016 Florida trip where I hadn’t yet ridden Mako, so I didn’t have that as a point for comparison yet). And not to mention, you also now have VelociCoaster in the same resort, which might make things interesting… you guys certainly seem to rave about VelociCoaster!

I’m glad I’m not the only one who loves Springfield, though; I love the area, and I actually have quite a soft spot for the ride itself as well, but most seem to despise it!

I hope you guys got back to SeaWorld eventually!

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
It’s a shame you don’t seem to especially like Universal, however; I personally remember loving USF last time I went back in 2016, but I don’t personally mind the screens (in fact, I think they can be quite fun)! I get that screens aren’t for everyone, though, and if you’re not a screen lover, there’s not an awful lot for you at USF, and I think that’s been exacerbated since my last trip. Do you feel that IOA has the same issue, or is this an issue exclusive to USF, in your opinion?

I also remember quite liking HRRR in 2016

Thanks @Matt N! I really enjoyed USF on my previous visits back in 2012 and 2016. But with Revenge of The Mummy being closed this time, it made me realise how much that ride holds the park standards up now. I miss Jaws, Terminator, Twister and the older stuff at USF. It felt more varied back then.

IOA definitely doesn't suffer from screen overload. Only 3 IOA rides use screens, and they use them well. There's such a variety of attractions at IOA that you don't get the same repetitive feeling you get at USF.

I also liked HRRR in 2016! I used to love that ride! But I've ridden so many better, newer, more dynamic coasters since 2016 that HRRR just doesn't cut the mustard anymore. It is still fun though!

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Thanks for the write up / read. Yup Universal Studios is really lacking variety and it feels like they have dropped the ball hard, not helped by Islands of Adventure being right next door. The screens are now even less effective in the era of ‘infinite screen based entertainment on demand’ and large TVs. The only two rides in the park that balance this out are Revenge of the Mummy (which is amazing) and the ‘screen-less’ Men in Black shooting dark ride (which is pretty good). Edit: oops I forgot HRRR, although this conveniently addresses my thoughts on that.

You can create your own Universal Studios ride by commencing your film of choice, turning off the lights and bouncing around on the sofa when there is any action. The painful truth is that such silly enactments will probably create more laughs and be more fun than having an actual screen based ride 🙈

Also, was that… *squints* a Robot Wars reference? Even if not intentional, you’ve had me YouTubing for clips of Hypno-Disc smashing those ‘lovingly made by school children’ robots to smitheries. Hurghnn!

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
You can create your own Universal Studios ride by commencing your film of choice, turning off the lights and bouncing around on the sofa when there is any action. The painful truth is that such silly enactments will probably create more laughs and be more fun than having an actual screen based ride 🙈

Also, was that… *squints* a Robot Wars reference? Even if not intentional, you’ve had me YouTubing for clips of Hypno-Disc smashing those ‘lovingly made by school children’ robots to smitheries. Hurghnn!

Well, this sounds like immense fun! But don't forget to set up a water pistol to spray water in your eyes at regular intervals, for that true Universal experience!

Hell yeah it was a Robot Wars reference! Hypnodisc was cool but Razer was my favourite.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Christ, how many puns can you fit into one trip report? 🤣 I counted at least 10, hoping that at least one of them would miss the mark but unfortunately no pun in ten did.
And there was also some theme park philosophy and a Robot Wars reference too. It doesn't get much better than this. 😁

nadroJ

CF Legend
I was waiting for the 'HRRR'/Sideshow Bob pun but it never came 😢

I'm loving reading this - can't wait for the next installment. Personally I adore Rip Ride Rockit and Kickstart My Heart is usually my song of choice too. You've made me realise what a gap Mummy is going to leave when I visit in May. But to be honest, at this point I've visited the park so many times I'm quite happy just strolling around getting snacks.

You didn't really comment on it so I'm assuming you were unimpressed but...Bourne Stuntacular? Thoughts? I adored T2:3D and was devastated to see it go so intrigued to see if its replacement lived up to its predecessor?

You didn't really comment on it so I'm assuming you were unimpressed but...Bourne Stuntacular? Thoughts? I adored T2:3D and was devastated to see it go so intrigued to see if its replacement lived up to its predecessor?

@Serena can share her more in-depth thoughts with you, but I think I enjoyed it quite a bit more than her.

It definitely kept me somewhat entertained. The choreography was good and the use of physical sets against the screen suspended my disbelief well enough. Admittedly there were a couple of visual tricks that left me with the classic "how-did-they-do-that" awestruck look, but they were few and far between. That's about it for things worth "raving" about.

Most of the stunts were things we've all seen before at park shows over the years and storywise... ehhh... like who really gives a **** about the Bourne IP? It was on a similar level of bland to F&F: Supercharged or Transformers. Very predictable. I remember accidentally mispronouncing the name as "The Bourne Spunktacular" more clearly than anything else. I could not tell you a single fact about the story and I really struggle to even remember many of the stunts, so that's not exactly the best sign.

All that said, some of the Americans we met absolutely loved it and treated it like a must-do before we went, so I think it just depends on what you like. One and done for me... kind of like the park as a whole. If I go back it will be either for Halloween Horror Nights, or just to pop in for Mummy and HRRR before going to the infinitely better park next door.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
I was waiting for the 'HRRR'/Sideshow Bob pun but it never came 😢

Not Sideshow Bob, but will this do, @nadroJ?

Screenshot_20220222-225634_PicCollage.jpg

Okay, so The Bourne Stuntacular. Definitely not a Serena attraction. For some reason, it just reminded me of work. Maybe it was the dull colour palette of greys and dark blues, or the tedious long mission briefings. But my god, this show was a slog. Joyless, I'd go as far to say. The tone was just so boring and flat. I spent the entire time missing the infinitely superior T2:3D.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
For some reason, it just reminded me of work. Maybe it was the dull colour palette of greys and dark blues, or the tedious long mission briefings. But my god, this show was a slog. Joyless, I'd go as far to say.
lol, that is a strikingly bleak assessment.

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
On the contrary, I absolutely adore the Bourne Stuntacular! I love the way the characters interact with the giant screen, blending physical sets and (very well rehearsed) actors with exciting and (mostly) realistic backdrops. The stunts aren’t impressive because they’re extreme, but because of how well timed and creative they are. The constant precision needed to make every show go perfectly leaves me in awe every time. It’s not the most balls to the wall intense show, but it’s consistency and unique nature make it a must do, in my opinion. Depending on how I’m feeling and what’s open, it could be anywhere in the top 3 attractions at Studios for me (which might say as much about the park as it does the show).

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Day Four: SeaWorld and more!

Why do I love SeaWorld as much as I do? The park doesn't do well on the Serena Checklist of What I Look For In A Theme Park:

A B+M hyper ✅
A shooty dark ride❌
Castles / gothic / fairytale themes❌
An Intamin Giant Drop Tower (not a Fabbri one, I repeat, not a Fabbri one!)❌
Strange animatronics❌
A woodie that makes me laugh❌
Fairy lights❌
Atmospheric orchestral music✅
Powerful launch coaster❌ (Ice Breaker was not open yet)
Shows / parades that make your heart soar❌

Even on the animal side of things, I'm not as fussed about marine life. I prefer to look at small-medium sized critters (raccoons, skunks, coatis, wolverines) than massive whales.

Yet I always have a massive smile on my face when walking into the entrance. Starting the day with 3 back to back rides on Mako certainly helps.

Okay, I'm calling it now. This is the best B+M hyper. Glorious purple track, lovely dispatch (look up in the station! There's shark animations swimming above as your train leaves the station) THAT FIRST AIR TIME HILL. Oh my god. What a thing of beauty.

So, unlike Shambhala and Diamondback, Mako is great in every row. It was quite easy to discover this because there was no one in the queue so the ops let us go round and round and sit wherever we wanted. Happy days!

It's amazing to think I rode Mako back in 2016 and loved it then, and my rides in 2022 managed to exceed those great memories. How many times do you go back to a park, re-ride a coaster and it jumps all the way back up to number 3 in your Top 10? Not many!

Kraken is fine. Not a fan of the new paint job. There's already one puke green looping B+M in Orlando. I would have much preffered a repaint with the old colour scheme, at least then it would still match the trains!

Manta was still under maintenance. Fine by me as I feel a bit uneasy towards flying coasters since my horrible recent ride on FLY.

As we ambled around the park I realised one of the main contributing factors to my love for SeaWorld. Its a chord progression. There is a particular chord progression in SeaWorld park music that is very heartwarming and rousing. It's in the fun poppy upbeat "Make a Splash" song, it's in the chilled out tunes at the end of the day and it's in the soaring atmospheric show music. It's amazing how much difference great music makes to a park.

We watched the shows. Oops sorry, "The Presentations." That's what they're calling them now. Put the animal trainers in lab coats, blurt out a few facts such as "Otters don't live in salt water." Then train the otter to dive into the sealions pool of salt water to retreive a piece of trash. WTF? Why are they making the otter do that?! They're telling one thing, then showing the complete opposite.

Also, the humour. Oh god the cringy humour. In the end, we fixed our eyes on the fab view of Mako and Kraken that you get from the arena for Clyde and Seymours Scientific Presentation. I wouldn't bother with them again.

Back to music and the hectic drum soundtrack in the Infinity Falls area was absolutely booming, it adds so much drama to this absolute soaker of a rapids. The caliber of rapids rides in Florida is so high! This one was just as good and just as wet as Bilge Rat Barges at IOA!

The park was dead, so after pretzels and more rides on Mako, we headed off to Fun Spot to ride Mine Blower for lunch.

This ride sure puts the blow into Mine Blower, it's so rough! One and done for me.

Back to SeaWorld to feed the SeaLions and obviously grab some sunset rides on Mako (honestly, by this point I was just fully addicted to this ride)

We realised the park shut an hour earlier than we expected.

Me: "Reckon we could make it to IOA for night rides on VelociCoaster? We have 1 hour to get there and get in the queue"

@slamming_coastercore "Challenge accepted!"

We got off Mako, ran to the car park, stopped at our hotel to get our Universal passes (which involved me running up 4 flights of stairs in record time), driving up the I-Drive chanting "Green! Green! Green!" at every set of traffic lights. We pulled into the car park and charged over those moving walkways towards City Walk, as we sprinted, "Walking on Sunshine" started blaring out from the speakers. We were laughing. We were running. And we just made it in time to get a night ride on VelociCoaster.

This moment was easily one of the highlights of the trip and one of those theme park memories that I will treasure forever.

Last edited:
IMG_20220123_131855.jpg

Mako and Kraken providing entertainment during the Sea Lion "Presentation".

Whilst Serena hated it, I actually kind of enjoyed Mine Blower. Yeah it was rough and the corners weren't too fun, but the drop, inversion and all the pops of air it had in-between were solid. Not the best coaster in Florida (probably not even the best woodie), but I was really happy to get to experience another Gravity Group coaster!

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Great report @Serena; looks like you and @Slamming Coastercore had a nice trip to SeaWorld!

Glad to hear Mako lived up to your opening year memories! I have very fond memories of the ride from just 2 months after it opened (as my choice of profile picture suggests!), and I was slightly concerned that the ride might have aged poorly since 2016, so I was very gratified to read your report, which suggests it's still just as smooth and wonderful as ever! Here's hoping that I think the same when I hopefully ride it again at some stage.

Shame you didn't seem to enjoy Mine Blower, though (although @Slamming Coastercore appeared to enjoy it more based on his above post, interestingly); I loved it myself (sits at the #4 spot for me), and I didn't find it particularly rough (and I would say I have a fairly low roughness tolerance), but this was based off of 1 front row ride on an empty train 3 years ago. I've heard from people who rode around the same time as me that it has gotten notably rougher since 2019, so who knows if I'd feel the same way if I were to reride?

I do have one final question, if you don't mind me asking. As you commented that Mako has taken your #3 spot (for you at least @Serena), I'd be eager to know; Mako or VelociCoaster? I initially assumed you guys preferred VC after your earlier glowing review, alongside the thoughts of most others that VC annihilates Mako, but this glowing review of Mako makes that less clear. If you don't want to answer, I don't mind, but I'd just be interested to know!

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Thanks @Matt N! Yeah, I'm pleased to confirm Mako is still super smooth and full of airtime :)

Okay, here's where VelociCoaster and Mako rank in my new top ten:

1. Zadra
2. VelociCoaster
3. Mako
4. Phantom's Revenge
5. Stealth
6. Maverick
7. Hyperion
8. The Voyage
9. Silver Star
10. The Ride to Happiness

More on this; whilst Velocicoaster is overall the superior experience I'd argue that Mako is the most re-ridable coaster in Florida.

Velocicoaster is intense, varied, and delivers some strong positives in the first half; whereas by comparison Mako is just repeated airtime euphoria over and over again. You can sit on Mako with a smile plastered on your face, ride-after-ride without leaving your seat (and we did). I think that 3 back-to-back rides of the same nature on Velocicoaster would be enough for me; whilst incredible, I would probably require an hour or so without forces afterward.