What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

the king

Mega Poster
I've been thinking about it, that those metal fences do help give that feeling that the army wanted to help everyone escape safely, so they put up those construction fences things, except these ones have been stuck to the ground. I like them.

Kebab

Giga Poster
I don't see a problem with them at all, it's a fence at the end of the day. It's a little too neat though, maybe could do with some battering and chips in the metalwork, nothing that the local chavs hanging around the fish shop can't handle...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
UC said:
I've been thinking about it, that those metal fences do help give that feeling that the army wanted to help everyone escape safely, so they put up those construction fences things, except these ones have been stuck to the ground.

Or because they wanted to keep people out of the ride layout and this was the cheapest way to do it.

I don't see the point in complaining, but don't try and justify it.
You can see it as justification if you want... But it honestly is a bit of both.

[arty bullsh!t]

Tussauds/Merlin have long been using cheap found objects to convey realism. I doubt Swarm will be any different. They typically go for themes which are gritty and typically British and are easy to make believable with everyday stuff, because it's everyday stuff.

If you're going to need a plane, why build a fake plane when you can use a real one? Disney would build a fake plane, so that plane could be perfectly pretend. With Disney, the believability comes from the craftsmanship and detail, but there won't be a single real plane like it. It would be designed specifically for the purpose they intend to use it for. Merlin just go and find a wrecked plane.

Is it just because it's cheaper? Well... Yes... But the trend of going the cheap and mundane has it's routes in Britishness full stop. It's something people are more familiar with when talking about film. We are a difficult, skeptical audience who tend to be very critical of ridiculousness. So theming with hint of mundane theoretically helps to immerse us.

There are very clever creative ideas behind a lot of Tussauds/Merlin's "cheap" scenery choices and from an arty farty postmodern perspective, it's really rather cool... But I do wonder if to everyone else it just looks like they are being cheap, and it's impossible to see beyond it. I remember Gavin making this point some time ago. Does it really matter how realistic something is, if it just comes across as being cheap?

Those fences. I'm not a fan... From a guest pov, they are tall and confined and just unpleasant to be in. Intentional? Yeah, probably. But I go to a theme park to have a good time... Is this kind of realism really a good idea? With Saw they only occupied a small section of the queue, I assume because they knew they'd be unpleasant for any length of time. As for how they relate to Swarm's theme, I would assume it's supposed to be emergency services having put up fences to keep people back from the danger.

I really need to finish that article I was writing on realism and Tussauds/Merlin.

[/arty bullsh!t]

Jools

Giga Poster
the king said:
I've been thinking about it, that those metal fences do help give that feeling that the army wanted to help everyone escape safely, so they put up those construction fences things, except these ones have been stuck to the ground. I like them.

YES! The Crazies esque!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm not arguing for or against, just pointing out that justifying it has nothing to do with it.

It's not a case of "cheap = realism" it's just that the two have become in ways synonymous with British media. It's only made questionable by the existence of American media... Which is over the top, extravagant and... Well, unbelievable. And that is criticised by the rest of the world quite often. Wrongly or rightly. I'm kind of in favour of a variety, and I like that Merlin do things differently, but I think the immersive, ridiculous, all out magic of show that you're in favour of has it's place too.

In some examples, I has made it acceptable to be cheap... Low budgets have a reputation for provoking more creativity, but increasingly people pass bullsh!t off as being clever, and people lap it up in the film, art, theatre and other industries.

Thing is, Merlin really are not working with low budgets. But they are working with a budget that if they took the "Disney route", they'd end up with something poor. By going the route they do, they end up with something of quality within a different style. Whether or not they should be pumping more money into the projects, since they clearly could, is another thing entirely - as that depends on whether it's worth it for the audiences they entertain.

It's common to associate investment of time, skill and money with good results and to look down upon the alternative. It's why more people "get" representational art than abstract art. It's why Madame Tussauds works. It's why Disney is so good. It's admiration of fakery, of the skill in representation. But it misses some vital points such as ; What is the point? Is it worth it? Do I actually like it? Is it believable?

I'm pretty much in agreement when it comes to things like the fences, which are too everyday. So instead of recognising them as a symbol for the creative intentions, we just see their practical intention. It's the reason I hate Saw's queueline. The use of found objects really does look like the park is just using the area as a dumping ground, because they DO dump similar objects in "behind the scenes" areas of the park that you occasionally get a glimpse of.

But in other areas it works wonderfully. The objects around Nemesis, for example... The campsite under the front of the station with pots and pans and such. The obscure objects on the stall turn. The van. Another example is inside Saw's station, which is not filled with objects identical to those found in the film, (which is what Disney would do) but found objects believably similar to what is in the film. Hex's queue is filled with found objects, too. And, as we've seen from the plane and other vehicles, so will Swarm. If Merlin could have found a derelict church and brought it to the site rather than purpose build one, they probably would have, because it's the concept that matters more than the craftmanship with them. Typically British. And it's really only criticised because in the bubble that is theme parks, Disney is the example of theming. Once you look at the bigger picture, actually it's just normal.

Whether it's a good thing or not? Well, that's just personal taste.

Whether it's successful or not? I'm interested in that too, and I don't have an answer. If Merlin put Disney-like budgets into their projects, would they get a bigger return? If Disney took away their attention to detail, would they get smaller returns? I think, honestly, the answer is... Yes, but it's not big enough yes to warrant the difference in price range. I don't think, anyway. What makes Disney sell is the brand, fundamentally. If Merlin pumped huge budgets into their projects, maybe they'd get people staying on park and thus spending slightly longer? (Actually. I doubt that, on the basis of us Brits are very much "get every penny worth") Maybe the returning guests would be slightly higher? But it would NOT be worth the added investment, especially because the British audience just isn't receptive, anyway.

Ethan

Strata Poster
They posted this on the Dev Diary...

CKrWr.jpg

I don't see the difference between that ^ and what it looked like before...

Drawin

Roller Poster
Were people not complaining about the fuselage and back end of the wing looking too clean and new? Look at it now! All dirty and crash scene looking!

Although, the main reason was probably as a sign that theming has FINISHED! All they have to do now is general landscaping, I would think anyway. :D

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
They still have quite a bit of work to do on the plane, they haven't placed any of the smaller pieces of plane wreckage yet, and I'm still hoping the rear end gets moved a bit.

Lofty

CF Legend
Drawin said:
Were people not complaining about the fuselage and back end of the wing looking too clean and new? Look at it now! All dirty and crash scene looking!
No, it looks MORE like a crash scene, it doesn't look like a crash scene, there's a big different ;)

I hope they do use the fire from the propellors!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm thrilled that fire has been confirmed. :) Let's just hope it sticks around for many years.

They still have quite a bit of work to do on the plane, they haven't placed any of the smaller pieces of plane wreckage yet, and I'm still hoping the rear end gets moved a bit.
Here's to hoping all this happens, too... Well, I'm not too bothered aout the plane being moved, what makes you think it should be?

I have a feeling the ground will just be left to grow and age... But I kinda hope it isn't.

God, remembering back to Kumali when it first opened, before the grass grew? The mud pit. Terrifying.

Drawin

Roller Poster
Just to repost what I posted on another forum:

Thorpe park updated their stats for THE SWARM, it shows that the helicopter is confirmed, but more importantly...

Theming: loads
Genuine plant wreckage, devastaed helicopter and flaming fire truck all to add to the apocalyptic devastation.

DID THEY JUST SAY, FLAMING FIRETRUCK?!!?!

the king

Mega Poster
Apparantely, this might be the theme for THE SWARM. I hope it isn't.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKpZ_ZgSPIg&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

dominoes

Mega Poster
That is aweful... It sounds like a brass band for the first 20 seconds. It sort of improves after that, but not much...

Bloblivion

Roller Poster
I agree.. It just doesn't work..It's as if they tried to fit every sound that they possibly could into it. I don't think this'll be the official theme... Thorpe would surely know to do better that that...

Mark

Strata Poster
I quite like it :-/

To be honest, it doesnt sound like a very good quality version or like it is finished properly but overall I think it is really effective. It sounds all messy and catastrophic which fits the ride completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.