What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a BAD thing it'll just be a themed coaster on a well themed island (with no flats added). Remember, Tidal wave was the only ride in Amity Cove for a good 6 years, and that's always been the best themed area of the park (and lets remember Stealth was just thrown in there, with lack extensive theme, not a decently themed flat ride) Lets just hope they don't throw a load of crap games in there over time (which i highly doubt).

I'm interested to see any concept art, as great as it is to see all the individual theming peices, I'm struggling to picture the area as a whole, and how it all fits together.

I have to get involved, because it's my home park, and this is pretty big news.

I don't think much of the layout, I was expecting something a bit more exciting. But then I haven't been following the industry and I have a feeling this is a huge step up from the first Wingwalker, which then makes it more exciting.

I highly doubt they'll keep the full scale plane wreck there. That is going to cost an absolutely absurd amount on it's own. And that's sad, because that's the best part.

I wish it was a bit bigger. I can imagine the Far East or the USA getting a huge 200ft+ version in a few years and blowing this out of the water. (See Air, Oblivion, Nemesis, everything we ever build!). But Rita is better than Kingda Ka, for example, and I have countless other examples of when much smaller coasters turn out much better than larger ones. So maybe it will be just fine as it is.

bob_3_ said:
I'm interested to see any concept art, as great as it is to see all the individual theming peices, I'm struggling to picture the area as a whole, and how it all fits together.

I reckon that sorta stuff stays secret, so we have to fill in the gaps ourselves =)

Lift Hill over jacknifed lorry (food outlet)

17706222.jpg

Half roll-dive loop type thing underneath the wing of a jet liner and up into a zero-g roll

90358214.jpg

Inclined loop, low turn over a ditch which has a helicopter in it... up into some weird corkscrew/zero-g hybrid

59176271.jpg

And then what appears to be a straight roll through the building that also houses the boarding area

35955267.jpg

Very exciting stuff.
Honestly I do expect it all to appear, unless given the thumbs down by the council like the rotating farm fan did on Saw.

Old scrapped aircraft wont cost that much. There are fields of that kinda junk in America.

Can't figure out what the main feature of this entire theme is going to be though. And I don't we'll understand that until we see how the train will be dressed.
Could it be some sort of military operation?
Are we going to be taken for a ride with the robot/monster/missile that caused all this havoc?
Are the wide rows of seats on the train supposed to be the pews of the church, and with a triumphant organ tune an army helicopter lifts us all through the roof to safety?

42492668.jpg

No?

Well, the apocalypse idea seems most likely at this point, but what in that case does the flying machine represent?
Is the roll over and dive at the start representing the stalling and crashing of our aircraft?

Can't figure out what the main feature of this entire theme is going to be though. And I don't we'll understand that until we see how the train will be dressed.
Could it be some sort of military operation?
Are we going to be taken for a ride with the robot/monster/missile that caused all this havoc?
Are the wide rows of seats on the train supposed to be the pews of the church, and with a triumphant organ tune an army helicopter lifts us all through the roof to safety?

I have a feeling the trains will be themed to look like aero-plaes and you ride on the "wings". As there seems to be distinct focus on destroyed transportation. The station also looks like something has crashed into the top of it.

Excellent stuff Tim. I soooo hope it has that feel about it!

In terms of the train, I know that Bob_3 has said about the building looking as though something has crashed into it.

I think the idea/story is that the coaster train in qhatever guise it takes (I reckon a plane) is what has crashed into it. The rider will be 'reliving' that moment as such.

There is a section with an inline twist which appears to pass right through some of the ruins too.

I love the look of this. Don't honestly understand any of the hate. The layout may be a little short, but it's full of coolness.

PS. Tim demotivates me. I was sketching attraction ideas when I came into this topic. I was happy with them, but they suddenly they look like dicks. I hate you.

Absolutely fantastic drawings Tim. Do you use a graphics tablet? I'm studying design at Uni one of the modules is this kind of thing - this has spurred me into a bit of a spontaneous drawing sesh!

Danzibarr said:
Absolutely fantastic drawings Tim. Do you use a graphics tablet? I'm studying design at Uni one of the modules is this kind of thing - this has spurred me into a bit of a spontaneous drawing sesh!
Technology doesn't make you good at drawing. Neither do fancy and expensive artist materials. Looks like just a good old fashioned pencil to me in the hands of someone who's skill should, quite frankly, be against the law.

Joey said:
Danzibarr said:
Technology doesn't make you good at drawing. Neither do fancy and expensive artist materials. Looks like just a good old fashioned pencil to me in the hands of someone who's skill should, quite frankly, be against the law.

Agreed. (I wasn't for a moment suggesting that software was used to enhance/cheat with the drawings)

The proximity of the track to the theming should make for a pretty immersive ride with the wing seats. I'm sure it'll spark off many a-story amongst Thorpe's crowd too - "oMG, I touched the plane and it broke both ma wrists!"

So Tim, when drawing, do you just use the one pen line weight (Eg a 0.2 or whatever) or do you use the whole set. I prefer to work in ink too, and I must say your control of line weight is excellent, really makes everything look crisp and defined.

bob_3_ said:
I have a feeling the trains will be themed to look like aero-plaes and you ride on the "wings". As there seems to be distinct focus on destroyed transportation. The station also looks like something has crashed into the top of it.

Yeah I agree about the aeroplane connection. Wasn't it said that when the Millennium bug was to hit, all aeroplanes were to fall out of the sky? Nonsense, obviously, but its something to plan on?

Also the first element is similar to that very common stunt that planes carry out during air shows etc?

Martyn B said:
bob_3_ said:

Yeah I agree about the aeroplane connection. Wasn't it said that when the Millennium bug was to hit, all aeroplanes were to fall out of the sky? Nonsense, obviously, but its something to plan on?
I think the issue was with all computers, due to the date change I think. If it had happened, it wouldn't have just affected planes. :p

I think the plane theme looks good, it'll be nice to see how well they pull it off. I think it has the potential to look really good and ride really well. I worry about the award though, unique to the UK? It's hardly that great! :roll: Anyway, I'm looking forward to this, it should be a good ride.

Also, this topic is going to be silly by the time this finally opens. There's over a year to wait, and we're already on 13 pages after one week! Urgh.

Indeed. Page 13 already. Having said that, year on year there aren't a great deal of construction projects in the UK so I think the discussions get confined to a few parks.

Stateside, there are loads more parks and comparitvely more construction projects so the discussions get shared out amongst them.

Although from time to time I drop in on construction topics in from the states I find that I am less excited and less likely to keep close tabs because it may be in a park im highly unlikely to get to in the forseeable future. Something effectively just down the road is likely to make me more excited and inclined to keep looking :)

Its a damn shame that Leigh can't really work on a NoLimits project for this, given he is now working for Merlin and its in the contract etc. Perhaps it's time I start learning how to use the blooming thing...

Mark said:
Its a damn shame that Leigh can't really work on a NoLimits project for this, given he is now working for Merlin and its in the contract etc. Perhaps it's time I start learning how to use the blooming thing...

That sounds a bit... random tbh... Since it's in the public view-point I'm sure he could create one...

Only things Merlin really frown upon are staff moaning about specific parts of work online... I think a NL recreation based on pubically viewable plans won't affect Leigh's standing too much...

And Hixee, of course they'll focus on the unique to UK thing... It's the way we seem to be advertising recently...

And yes, I can see this beating the Saw and Stealth topics by far... Pushing 300 this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.