What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

CF Legend
Mark said:
I am a little shocked by the theme in a way. Involving crashed planes and helicopters almost echoes the original theme plans for Air at Alton until 9/11 happened. The whole plane crash idea can be quite a sensitive one... and they go and involve a smashed up church!!!!! I expect to see a few more Monk references between now and opening. I do hope this theme is going to extend to encompass a whole land in the long run rather then just a single themed ride.

so overall. YAY YAY YAY!

Also especially since it's not far from Heathrow Airport.

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Some sad bastards will complain about the theme.

More publicity for the ride.

Lofty

CF Legend
Just thinking, look at what HHN Hollywood do. They have a scene on the tram tour of a FULL SIZED plane crash, they'll be fine.

Mark

Strata Poster
-lofty- said:
Just thinking, look at what HHN Hollywood do. They have a scene on the tram tour of a FULL SIZED plane crash, they'll be fine.

Yes but that is an actual scene from a movie that features in the standard tour at Universal. Plus that is in the states. Unfortunately some attitudes between the two countries differ greatly, especially over sensitive issues.

As Gavin pointed out, they wont care though, its more publicity if people are up in arms.

I don't know why, but the first thing I thought of when they mentioned a plane crash site was Lockerbie, followed by 9/11. Chuck in the fact that this is a plane crashed through a church looking structure and it is BOUND to piss someone off! (Don't forget Lockerbie has been quite present in the press recently - at least in the UK).

Mark

Strata Poster
Ben said:
Could be worse, could be a destroyed mosque.

Hahahaha. That was dark, was it not? [/AchmedtheDeadTerrorist]

Controvesy will give them lots of extra press and if people think the silly publicity stunts for a water slide have been OTT I think they might want to avoid any Theme Park related news when they amp up on this one!

tks

Strata Poster
UC said:
^Taken what in to account?

I was noting that this layout, like the one in Gardaland, seems to lack any tight elements.

What I was wondering was if tight elements are even really possible on these types of rides.

Lavori_X-Raptor_2011_12122010_001.jpg

Look at the mess of track before the last inversion and think again.

Martyn B

CF Legend
The access to the island looks a bit to hidden to me, and is quite a trek for just one ride, to then have to turn and go all the way back again.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
As Spicy said a few pages ago, this has rekindled my enthusiasm. For the past few years, we've had nothing but "family" projects after "family" projects, FINALLY there's something for adrenaline junkies like myself to look forward to. There is a time and a place for family type rides and I do like some of them, but this ticks all the boxes for me.

The plans, concept art and all the trimmings looks brilliant. I'm not too sure about the layout just yet, but I'll echo the excitable sentiments about the first drop.

I really hope the overall theme and atmosphere of this "coaster island" really pumps out an intense and bewildering feeling. I want to feel as if I am in empty, chilling, post-apocalyptic wasteland - a bit like Chernobyl. It would be ruined if chavvy music was played throughout the area.

Mark raises a good point about the destroyed church, I wonder if the headless monk story this week was a nod in that direction? If so, that'll be twice in a week that I've been impressed with Thorpe Park.

No complaints from Mr Bell at all. I have high expectations for LC12. I can't wait.

Mark

Strata Poster
Ian said:
Mark raises a good point about the destroyed church, I wonder if the headless monk story this week was a nod in that direction? If so, that'll be twice in a week that I've been impressed with Thorpe Park.

No complaints from Mr Bell at all. I have high expectations for LC12. I can't wait.

Hmmm. Im wondering if they are using this years ride to also introduce the 'story' for LC12. It would certainly make sense and if that is the case I really will be impressed with Thorpe for bringing in an ongoing storyline.

The way in which the press sounds out at the moment the Monk thing is purely the catalyst for moving Storm Surge... Then all of a 'sudden' they reveal that this Headless Monk thing had bigger implications than we first realised....

Now that is my kind of storytelling.

However, reign it in Mark. Don't want to get too carried away. Im actually genuinely excited about this and it has reawakened some enthusiastic feelings that had been all but forgotten with UK parks (Much like Ian and Spicy).

Slayed

Hyper Poster
THAT looks simply awesome!

Love the theming, love the look of the ride. Dropping down from over water passed that fantastic looking plane, interacting with the building and vehicles, sweeping low around that helicopter, immersed in full-on theming - bring it on!

Although for some reason, with the plane and the abandoned church, it reminds me of Lost :p. And there appears to be an upside-down caravan over the entrance to the station <3.

peep

CF Legend
If what is built looks EXACTLY like those plans then 2012 is going to be a great year for the UK :D

I love all the random vehicles everywhere, the turned over lorry as a food stall is genius. And the addition of a massive toilet block is very thoughtful of them :p

marc

CF Legend
It has really got me buzzing again, last few years I have felt a bit flat but this has just ejected life back into it all. Well done Thorpe :)

Slayed we have no worry about a Lost tie in Disney own that one :)

Mark

Strata Poster
Also, just as a side note really. Id hazard a guess and say a bridge will appear over on the left side of the island when the time comes to develop further. The island to the left looks as though it has been developed with this in mind too.

nadroJ

CF Legend
They've done good with this one, and I'd like to think it'll be really noticeable by all the good feedback they'll be receiving from enthusiasts. I know we're a really tiny minority that they aren't massively concerned about pleasing but I always think that a mass group enthusiast approval for something Thorpe has done is a rare thing so hopefully they'll feel good about that......

..........and build us a massive woodie to say thank you yaaaaaaay! =D

Mark

Strata Poster
nadroJ said:
They've done good with this one, and I'd like to think it'll be really noticeable by all the good feedback they'll be receiving from enthusiasts. I know we're a really tiny minority that they aren't massively concerned about pleasing but I always think that a mass group enthusiast approval for something Thorpe has done is a rare thing so hopefully they'll feel good about that......

..........and build us a massive woodie to say thank you yaaaaaaay! =D

This is of course IF they stick to those plans. (Glares at Stealth and the originally planned Grandstand queue.........)

Woodie. Yes please. On that island just to the left of LC12. Thank You x

AJ

Giga Poster
This looks absolutely freaking amazing, like most others, i haven't been this excited about a coaster since god knows when (probably stealth).

Gonna repeat about the first drop and first inversion.... absolutely incredible. The theming on this isn't TOO extensive (it's more large scenery then small itty bitty pieces like expected for SAW.) So the theming should remain pretty much exact (if the plans go ahead).

What a way to bring my day back from the gutter..... and that plane crash OMG <3

Thorpe Fanboyism is extremely hormonal right now <3<3<3

kimahri

CF Legend
Post-Apocalyptic Setting and B&M?

Awesome. Could only be better if it was Post-Apocalyptic AND Steampunky.

As well as a DM.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Mark said:
Also, just as a side note really. Id hazard a guess and say a bridge will appear over on the left side of the island when the time comes to develop further. The island to the left looks as though it has been developed with this in mind too.

Yes, and they can link that second island near Stealth, that would be much better. But it will still be quite an odd layout for the park. And giong by the plans, it doesn't look like there will be any room to add any smaller rides, so I guess this will sit lonely, as more of a themed coaster, than a themed area.

Status
Not open for further replies.