What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
^This is what I have been saying, all these NL coasters yet no one knows the weight of the train etc.

Wow, that looks pretty sexy.

As Mark alluded to though, I'm slightly concerned that there will shortly be some kind of security disaster that means all theming gets ripped out, and we're left with... well... Air. Eugh.

I will enjoy the hype, but I can't get overly excited yet. Which is silly. I got very excited about Saw even though I knew it was a crappy eurofighter themed to a film franchise I'd never seen. I think once construction starts, then new coaster fever will start to set in.

IF (and that's a big IF) it looks as on the plans, then this'll be fairly sexy. Just confirms the reason why I'm full of anticipation for Raptor (and I don't mean the one at LWV)

That's why I don't think they'd be stupid enough to go for a war theme again. Generic end-of-the-world movie style theme would avoid that.

This ride has great potential for epic viral marketing. I hope they utilise it.

Was there ever even evidence of Air's original theme? Or was that speculation?

I think it's common sense that it's a bad idea to invoke such a negative realistic world in an entertainments space.

An apocalyptic event that is out of human hands avoids offence. One caused by humans is just a big fat no-no.

Perhaps British Airways should sponsor it? After all, their reputation is crashing atm! :lol:

Or SeaFrance.

Joey said:
Was there ever even evidence of Air's original theme? Or was that speculation?

tks said:
What proof was there of the Alton Towers thing?
IIRC, the model of Air (sorry, "AIR" because goons feel the need to write it in capital letters) in the Towers Street shop featured models of military stuff. I think it was only internet gossip that created that theme. It's never been denied.

Vadge said:
As Mark alluded to though, I'm slightly concerned that there will shortly be some kind of security disaster that means all theming gets ripped out, and we're left with... well... Air. Eugh.
I'd like to think that we're "desensitised" to such events now and there's a less namby pampy political correctness feel in the air (sorry, AIR) so I doubt they would change the theme.

EDIT: Found an image of the Air/AIR/Err model on Towers Almanac, there's no sign of tanks and ****: http://gallery.towersalmanac.com/displa ... ?pos=-1288

So please ignore me, it must have been a figment of my imagination.

Is CF perhaps sponsoring LC12's colour scheme?

82509699.jpg

Blue and yellow??? (we had a black and white TV until I was 13, I got used to making up what shades of grey made up what colours). It was just as accurate as my real colour vision :lol:

I'm going to be mildly negative. Apart from the first drop, I don't think I'm going to like the ride much. Even before the NL video was posted, I suspected a lot of "hang time", which I dislike. Okay, it'll be better hang time because B&M seem to take the comfort of rides into the equation more than any other manufacturer, but it'll still be there.

Apart from that on the inversions, it'll just be a pleasant ride, but that first drop looks superb, and I reckon you'll get some superb g's on it.

I don't know if anyone's spotted this, but it does lend weight to the idea of a generic, technical name from Thorpe, rather than from B&M:

'Thorpe Park consider that the up to 40m ride should be developed first (for 2012) On Area C. An ‘up to 50m’ ride is, therefore, likely to be the 2015 project.' (Source: Plan 1 from 'additional info' on the planning applications).

Still don't know what the L is for, but my bet is something to do with the island.
Then C for 'Area C'
and then 12 for 2012

Simples! :--D

Joey said:
Doesn't actually look THAT short anymore, either.

I thought that too.

And if it turns about too be as big as that, then it should look quite intimidating. Which is something we dont have much of in the UK.

In saying all that, its just a creation, though I do have my hopes up already.

And if it turns about too be as big as that, then it should look quite intimidating. Which is something we dont have much of in the UK.

It definitely will be intimidating, especially to non regular park goers. I mean look here at how the first drop and zero-g just towers over flying fish.

2r4myah.jpg

I know everyone has seen the plans already, but just take note of how big flying fish's entrance is and how a person is compared to the track. I find a lot of the time I forget the scale of these rides in a plan. It's not impressive to someone in America realllllly, but for a UK park it's going to stand out.

That first inline into the vertical drop then straight into the zero-g is just awesome.

When you look at it that way it does look pretty huge but when you think that Zero-G is 30.6m, it is huge! Even compared to American coasters.

Have to say I'm really excited about this and will definitely be making a trip to Thorpe next year! As everyone else has said that first inversion/drop looks awesome especially when taken with those trains. I hope the final in-line twist has that crazy arm/head/leg chopper support that Raptor has. Could easily turn out to be the best coaster in the park and nice to see another B&M added to the park.

I was thinking perhaps LC stands for Last Coaster, I know it won't be, but it could be playing with the 2012 concept, or even lost coaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.