What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

CF Legend
Re: LC12 - B&M 'Wing-Rider', Thorpe Park 2012

I'd say Hex has more focus on the plant-life, but, personification doesn't apply really IMO. On Hex, the tree itself is actually fairly inconsequential. You could replace the tree with a cursed statue or other item, and the ride would remain pretty much the same. The focus there is on the curse that is place on the tree, not on the tree itself.

The tree obviously has "magical powers", but, that's because of the curse placed on it, not because the tree itself is inherentley special in anyway. The tree itself never comes alive, never attacks anyone, and never does anything that a person would do, so it is never personified.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Ahh yes, I think you have something there. Personify was perhaps the wrong word any way - the Hex tree was never being made out to be 'alive' as the Triffids were. I just didn't see the connection between Thirteen and plant life, apart from some forest themeing - but then I thought that maybe I'd missed something in the backstory...

Anyway, the weeping angels were much more scary than anything Merlin could come up with :wink:

bob_3_

Giga Poster

Th13teen you're not actually attacked by the plants, but, the wraiths...

What about the advert, where the plants wrap round the girl, and the moving bush people actors that were there when the ride opened. The van that's being pulled underground by the roots? From what I gathered from all the info around the ride opening the theme was "the dark forest taking over". I always assumed when you entered the crypt it was the trees that pulled you down from under the carriage to the bottom floor, then backwards underground. (I don't know if I made it up but I remember hearing "trees moving/growing" noises in the tunnel.

Whereas the wraiths were actually the guardians of the forest or possibly victims, not necessarily the bad guys. Infact, on Rita you hear a wraith shouting "you must escape!". Look at how the tree on the station is wrapping itself around the wraith statue.

The girl in the advert is merly a young girl who "went down to the woods" alone. She was dragged down by the trees and her voice in the queue line is merly her ghost.

Meh that's my view on it all anyway.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I always thought it was very loosely based on the rape scene from Evil Dead, mixed in with a little bit of other things, but it always had an Evil Dead feel to it to me.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

I've never understood the need to repeat things people have said in a signature....until now!!! XD

Ben

CF Legend

I was just about to post about the advert actually, it's the only bit of "canon" that seems to suggest the plants to me.

In the crypt there is breaking noises, but, I thought that was more the floor under you than anything else... The floor around you is all wooden and broken. Then when you drop there's a load of wraiths in the bottom part... Why do you run away from them if they're nice :p There's no threatening trees in there at all, if that's what they're going for, they have failed.

The van... Is it being pulled under, or is it just being overgrown? I just got the impression that it was an abandoned van being overgrown?

I don't remember any noises in the tunnel, and I can't hear any on any POVs, so I can't comment on that.

And the tree around the wraith statue can easily be explained by it just being abandoned for so long. That's not necessarily an actual wraith, just a statue.

And then the girl is back counting to 13 in the queue line... And there's 13 wraiths, which is where the name is meant to come from. Is she counting them as guardians, or as attackers? **** knows tbh...

And **** knows who's talking on that Rita announcement. I'm not entirely sure ANY thought went into that tbh...

I dunno, to me, just the way the wraiths are posed in the crypt, and the way they are more prominent in the ride experience itself, seems to suggest to me that this forest has gone to Hell because they're there, they're not there because of the forest.

Either way, just the fact that we can have this discussion shows what an utter FAIL that ride is... When the theme is this confusing and nonsensical, I think you can call it a failure :p

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

Is a mod going to move this to a new topic, I'd hate to think I'm causing spam!

I always thought the van wrapped in vines was more Dark Forest theming, a bit separate from the ride itself. Even if Thirteen does give the impression of the forest taking over, it doesn't necessarily shout Triffids, which were individual movable plant on tripod 'legs', very different from a bewitched forest.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

^ You broke Snoo's forums :( WTF was that???

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

ahh sorry, I didn't even think I'd submitted it, my Internet just went down mid way though typing it!!!

Very mysterious if you ask me :wink:

the king

Mega Poster

Just wonderin, which piece of track, do you peeps think, will be the last one to be installed, to complete the ride?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

I'm going to be something really insignificant. Some part of the track towards the brake run. There will be a big fuss about the 'topping-off' of it, but part of me doubts that will be the last piece to be put it.

Having said that, now I think about it I don't think I've ever followed a construction piece-by-piece, so that's more of a guess to be honest.

the king

Mega Poster

I've just been looking around the net and found out that thorpe are beginning to take down some of their LC12 posters. Wonder why, but hopefully that means something big will happen, aka, big boost in construction work.

Nic

Strata Poster

I was there a month ago and the park was COVERED in them. If they want to keep going with the Les Coogan character in the park, then I feel its pretty important that he continues to walk round sticking up posters during the day. It adds to the character. However, they obviously can't keep doing that indefinitely, so I guess it makes sense to take some down to make space for new ones.

Of course, that's entirely speculation.

the king

Mega Poster

Looking at the dates of birth of the two actors on facebook, Les Coogan's is on 1st August, which the timer countsdown to, and Lc Militant's birthday is on the 12th December. Do you peeps think something will happen on the 12th December, like the rest of the story revealed, or just a normal day, except for Lc Militant.

Nic

Strata Poster

Haha! 30 seconds of googling last night and I've apparently now been rewarded with a place in 'Les Coogan's' LC12 "Crack Squad". No idea what that will involve? Searching chavs at the entrance for drugs maybe?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

No. Shan't.

the king

Mega Poster

I have a bad feeling that the next construction pictures that will surface, will just show mud and no footers. Hopefully i get proven wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.