What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Smithy said:
Nemesis easily. Then there's a few rides there or there abouts. If he'd have said just coasters then it'd be there or there abouts (still think Nemesis trumps it) but rides in general includes all sorts.
You said it as though it would only barely make the top 5, implying there are tonnes of better themed rides in the UK. So give me 4 rides which are better. Nemesis, despite you mentioning it twice, accounts for 1 of those 4.

So go on... 3 to go.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Not quite sure how you seem to think "Top five, maybe" equates to "Barely makes top five", even more baffled at how you seem to think "five" equates to me "implying there are tonnes better"?

For clarity, the original comment was not meant to mean there are five better. It was meant to question Swarm being the best themed ride in the Uk (Nemesis, imo), but it'd still be one of the best. I can kind of see how you could read it that way, but that wasn't how it was meant.

As for my second post, the rides that are there or thereabouts are Oblivion (only due to it's length meaning it doesn't require masses of themeing), the pirate waterfight thingy (Battle Galleons?) at Alton, Hex, Space Invader thingy at Blackpool.

There's your four. And again, for clarity. I'm not saying any of them are definitively better. Just that I'd have them up there behind Nemesis but way ahead of most other rides in the UK.

Edit: Rofl, and just to show my relative ignorance, I was completely oblivious to the fact Space Invader hasn't been there for a few years now.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
*phew* I was hoping to avoid photos etc when I opened the last page as I want the whole thing to be a surprise.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Smithy said:
Not quite sure how you seem to think "Top five, maybe" equates to "Barely makes top five", even more baffled at how you seem to think "five" equates to me "implying there are tonnes better"?
Because you said "maybe". ..."Top five, maybe" is like saying "top five, at a push" or "top five, barely". It's an emphasis to imply that Swarm really isn't that great at all. When, actually... It really is.

I think it's weird Saw or Tidal Wave weren't in your list...

Smithy

Strata Poster
Joey said:
Because you said "maybe". ..."Top five, maybe" is like saying "top five, at a push" or "top five, barely". It's an emphasis to imply that Swarm really isn't that great at all. When, actually... It really is.

That's how you've interpreted it. As I said before it wasn't meant to mean it'd struggle to be top five, moreso emphasise that it definitely isn't 'the best' and that I'd probably agree with it being up there. I've also said several times how impressed I've been with pics of the ride and did the same in my previous post.

I think it's weird Saw or Tidal Wave weren't in your list...

I've actually seen very few pictures of Saw as I didn't really follow it's consruction and haven't been to Thorpe since it was built. Tidal Wave would have been a fair shout.

Beans

Hyper Poster
Ian said:
*phew* I was hoping to avoid photos etc when I opened the last page as I want the whole thing to be a surprise.

Thats why I did mine as a Facebook link so peeps had a choice to view or not to view.
I will lets others form there views, I will not rave about it, just that try it all round(if queues allow) before you form a view, my personal opinion is left back and font, so you pass under off lift hill rather than over.

The only comment to be made is there is NO single rider and Front Row maybe be slightly confusing, if you want to ride left you have to queue in one queue then take your pick after the bag room, after go up steps to the right and up behind the consol, this also give a very good view of the station.
The queueline is extremely long and compact I would expect it could hold at leat a 2 hour or more waiting time or more if full.

The heigh restictions are as expected 1.4 and also nobody over 1.95 so if you are tall i.e. 6ft 6ins, you will not be able to ride.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Just because you don't know what its theme is, don't ignorantly assume everybody else doesn't as well.

There's a tiny clue in the name of the ride, however.

Can you also find out where I stated Oblivion was better?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
A theme doesn't have to be a direct and obvious "story", it can also be a way to invoke a feeling simply by using atmosphere. Oblivion's theme is simply one designed to increase fear and tension, particularly of orange flavoured carbonated beverages...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
That's how you've interpreted it.
There is no other interpretation. You stated that it would make the top 5, and then added a "maybe" implying it's low on that list at best. There is no other interpretation of that. :p

Smithy said:
...? Er, here...
As for my second post, the rides that are there or thereabouts are Oblivion (only due to it's length meaning it doesn't require masses of themeing), the pirate waterfight thingy (Battle Galleons?) at Alton, Hex, Space Invader thingy at Blackpool.
After saying "top five, maybe" and I ask for the other four, and those were you're four. Therefore you said Oblivion is better.

Look, I know you only said "Top 5, maybe" for exaggeration sake as a way to put Swarm down because It's unfashionable to be too thrilled, when really it's one of the best we have... But you're making no sense. :p

Smithy

Strata Poster
Joey said:
There is no other interpretation. You states that it would make the top 5, and then added a "maybe" implying it's low on that list at best. There is no other interpretation of that. :p

I really can't think how better I can explain it, but your interpretation of it was not how it was meant. It was written as if I'd said it verbally. "Top five, maybe". Far less emphasis placed on the 'maybe' than you've given it, regardless, I've since clarified how it was meant.

Smithy said:
...?

Again, can you find me where I stated Oblivion was better?

Look, I know you only said "Top 5, maybe" for exaggeration sake as a way to put Swarm down because It's unfashionable to be too thrilled, when really it's one of the best we have... But you're making no sense. :p

I've already answered this as well in a previous post. I've been more than complimentary about this ride throughout this topic. If it matters so much, feel free to go back and find where I've done so, and you'll see how coming at me from that angle doesn't hold weight. My only issue was claiming it was the 'best themed ride' in the UK, that was what I disagreed with. I've offered no slight against Swarm, the quality of it's theme or even questioned that it's 'one of the best we have'.

marc

CF Legend
Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

How about another topic not getting spammed up?

I came on to read about the weekend and got everything but.

A

Anonymous

TP Rich said:
Bentleya said:
it's there to you zoom in really close and it disappears, just like saw does.

What do you mean? I haven't had any problems with it. :?

On the Bing map, if you zoom in really close on the ariel view then it goes back to a really old version of Thorpe. No Saw, No Swarm and even No Stealth! The flying fish is still in it's old place as well.

scw55

Hyper Poster
I was hoping to be more theming around The Swarm. The destroyed chapel and aeroplane segment are nice, but there's a lot of void.

It does literally look like a coaster built in the English countryside with some theming added around it. Kind of, out of place in a bad way.

At least Nemesis looks out of place in a good way.

Coasterfreck

Hyper Poster
X said:
TP Rich said:
Bentleya said:
it's there to you zoom in really close and it disappears, just like saw does.

What do you mean? I haven't had any problems with it. :?

On the Bing map, if you zoom in really close on the ariel view then it goes back to a really old version of Thorpe. No Saw, No Swarm and even No Stealth! The flying fish is still in it's old place as well.
The birds eye view on Bing also has no swarm but it has the Fish in the new location and stealth.

JAMMYD777

Roller Poster
Another little teaser advert.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDxjoJbj6I0&feature=plcp&context=C4764264VDvjVQa1PpcFOEclWTvNwZC5i50t1t9FACKuGkY_dlcrA%3D[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.