What's new

Thorpe Park |"The Swarm"| B&M Wing Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn B

CF Legend
you don't see many ORP's taken whilst you're upside down

You don't, do you? Thats a proper missed opportunity IMO. Especially on Boomerang's, having the orp on the loop, whilst going backwards would make for some funny photos!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
More with the really bad photoshopping, There's still a bit of building under the train. It's really obvious as well.

Also, I thought the entrance to Swarm was by Stealth's top hat, not down by Flying Fish. Unless that's a mapping error. :?

MrCobyChan

Roller Poster
Unfortunately, from what I've seen, and where the bridge is being/has been built, the rides entrance is by the Flying Fish, making the entrance impossible to find.

Smithy

Strata Poster
If only they handed out some sort of paper with a printed design of where you can locate each of the rides within the park.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
I'm not sure if I'm the only person to come up with this theory, but I'm beginning to believe that Thorpe are only opening up devestation/derelict themed rides every year so that they've an excuse not to paint them up. In the past twelve years, we've had Tidal Wave, Lost City, SAW, Storm Surge and now THE SWARM.

But I think the people who say 'Thorpe isn't a theme park, it's an amusement park' are ridiculous. The only ride in the park that has no obvious theme is Slammer.

Rob

Mega Poster
TP Rich said:
But I think the people who say 'Thorpe isn't a theme park, it's an amusement park' are ridiculous. The only ride in the park that has no obvious theme is Slammer.

Yo callin' me ridiculous? D:

Seriously, if you consider Thorpe Park themed, you need to understand exactly what themeing is. The park has no distinct areas; they have now removed all reference to areas of the park, there is no clear distinction and to the general public, noone will notice any real change walking around the park. Yes, an effort is made to theme individual attractions but there is no consistency, little overriding area feelings or themes, and those that are there are not nurtured? If you understand me, there is little area upkeep, and the park clearly want to loose any real theme to each area.

Themeing individual rides, ala SAW and the Swarm, is very much an amusement park thing. It's very similar to Blackpool, Pepsi Max being themed to Pepsi, Infusion being themed to water, Bling being themed to bling. Certainly in that sense, it is not lacking themeing, but, is an amusement park.

A theme park has consistency and depth; such as, PortAventura, Disney, Universal, an amusement park has Isolated irrelevent themes, ie: Blackpool, and to an extent, Thorpe.

nealbie

CF Legend
Thorpe is a modern and much better Blackpool. Management who couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and bully-boy unprofessional security included!

Besides, TP Rich is a moron. QED.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Pretty sure Thorpe Park is themed =/ Just because it's not as extensive and in depth a theme as Disney and Universal would perhaps have, doesn't mean it's not themed at all.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Thorpe is themed within some rides individually (and where it is, it's good), but generally it's "landscaped". It's a bit too pleasant to be an amusement park, but not quite good enough to be a Theme Park. It sits between the worlds really...

Lofty

CF Legend
nealbie said:
Thorpe is a modern and much better Blackpool.
I'm sorry, Neal, but how is it a much better Blackpool?

Blackpool is completely different to Thorpe, apart from the clientele, that's about it. Blackpool's actually on the rise in terms of park aesthetics. They're injecting a lot of money into how the park looks, it seems that Thorpe need to kind of do the same in terms of repainting rides etc. This coming from somebody who's not even a fan of Blackpool.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Seriously, if you consider Thorpe Park themed, you need to understand exactly what themeing is.
See, I hate this "theming has to be of a certain standard before we call it theming" crap.

From my essay because I cannot be bothered to rewrite it...

"What is Theming?
Mark Gottdiener in his book The Theming of America describes “theming” as an overarching symbolic motif. Any constructed space, which conveys meaning to occupants through the use of symbols, is a themed environment. More specifically, it concerns spaces that use symbols to reference a different time or place to the current time and place. Theme parks are the most obvious examples of the themed environment, as many use theming as an attraction within itself."

Within that definition, everything from Disney to Six Flags, shopping centres and even your bedroom is themed. And that's the definition that makes the most sense, because any other enthusiast-made definition rates theming on "amount of physical scenery". The word theming has NO reference to physical stuff. Besides, just sticking physical stuff in doesn't make a theme. That's why you were all moaning about fences. It's subjective.

As we went into a while back in this topic, the interesting thing about all the Merlin parks is their choice of symbols (refer back to the fences debate). Thorpe isn't alone, and in fact Thorpe probably contains more elaborate Disney-style theming than Alton.

nealbie

CF Legend
-lofty- said:
nealbie said:

Blackpool is completely different to Thorpe, apart from the clientele, that's about it. Blackpool's actually on the rise in terms of park aesthetics. They're injecting a lot of money into how the park looks, it seems that Thorpe need to kind of do the same in terms of repainting rides etc. This coming from somebody who's not even a fan of Blackpool.

It's just a 21st Century Blackpool, and because it's modern it's much better for it. A huge selection of coasters and flatrides mostly individually themed as everyone has said. Instead of tacky it's clinical but that's the modern aspect. I see them as one and the same just made by a different generation, and as you say, for the same clientele.

Agreed, it might not be better than Blackpool when it reaches the same relative operation age, but at present it's head and shoulders above. On paper it's even better than Alton, alas, it lacks atmosphere.

Lofty

CF Legend
nealbie said:
-lofty- said:
nealbie said:

It's just a 21st Century Blackpool, and because it's modern it's much better for it. A huge selection of coasters and flatrides mostly individually themed as everyone has said. Instead of tacky it's clinical but that's the modern aspect. I see them as one and the same just made by a different generation, and as you say, for the same clientele.

Agreed, it might not be better than Blackpool when it reaches the same relative operation age, but at present it's head and shoulders above. On paper it's even better than Alton, alas, it lacks atmosphere.

Thanks, I just couldn't get my head around what you'd said, I understand it now.

By the way, can anyone help me on this question (if it's been answered already, excuse me, I'm not trawling through this topic though) :

416794_174997302603679_115673268536083_178803_2134112374_n.jpg

What are those circular discs on the track itself? I've never noticed them before so if anyone could help em and let me know what they are and the function they pose, it'd be appreciated.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^They're a sign that you have way too much time on your hands. x

Status
Not open for further replies.