What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I fully expect the Saw IP to stay.

It's a huge IP, currently going through a resurgence (Saw X came out last year and was well received, with an 11th film set to come this year). The ride is hugely popular with the wider market, and in general Thorpe Park is known to have "the Saw ride". Sure, it's dwarfed by Hyperia, but it's still intimidating in its own right, and offers a good experience.

Thorpe and Lionsgate/Saw have a good, strong working relationship too to my understanding. The contract has been renewed several times. It must be pretty mutually beneficial too; Thorpe get "the Saw ride" and Lionsgate keep the brand out there and get a nice little paycheck for doing nothing.

I doubt Lionsgate would care that it's dwarfed by a nearby ride, and it's not a ride which Thorpe could realistically turn into an upbeat theme, so it's better for them to keep it dark.

Coaster Credits Cymru

Roller Poster
Whilst I'd expect the Saw IP to stay, I'd say that TWD IP has it's days numbered and it would be better for the park to replace the existing coaster with a new indoor rollercoaster, either an Intamin Multi-Dimension or Straddle. Not only would this involve the removal of an outdated IP (TWD as a series ended in 2022), it would bring a new coaster with a 1.2m height restriction, which I think the park desperately needs following Hyperia.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Whilst I'd expect the Saw IP to stay, I'd say that TWD IP has it's days numbered and it would be better for the park to replace the existing coaster with a new indoor rollercoaster, either an Intamin Multi-Dimension or Straddle. Not only would this involve the removal of an outdated IP (TWD as a series ended in 2022), it would bring a new coaster with a 1.2m height restriction, which I think the park desperately needs following Hyperia.

While I agree with the coaster being a bit long in the tooth. I wouldnt say TWD is dead by any means, If anything its more alive than Saw
While its not really my cup of tea anymore. Theres still 4 series within the franchise still being released (A quick wikipedia later)

The Walking Dead: Dead City Series 2 is confirmed
The Walking Dead: Daryl Dixon Series 2 is in post production
The Ones Who Live Series 1 starts next month
More Tales From The Walking Dead Universe Series 1 is confirmed

There was even yet another poor TWD game released a few months ago

Seems to me to be very much still alive.

Coaster Credits Cymru

Roller Poster
Great progress today on the transfer track and outerbank turn! Credit to DG95

freddycoasterkid

Roller Poster
27e70fa6979012d4c52a081530807be5.jpg

929022d6521b816f3db5514d82520683.jpg

Amazing 360 drone photos taken a few days ago massive courtesy to Rollercoasting on YouTube.

And

Efteldingus

Mega Poster
I do wish the gold colour was more of a gold than a light brown though.

Agreed, I also wish there was more gold in general, but oh well treelines and all that..

I forgot whether it was confirmed or not that post build they are going to blend the colours a tad more too. Looks blocky

The park confirmed (I believe in the passholders group on FB, was shared in this thread a while back) that they will not be blending the colours, unfortunately.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
The park confirmed (I believe in the passholders group on FB, was shared in this thread a while back) that they will not be blending the colours, unfortunately.

This bothers me far more than it should do. Early blueprints for the ride clearly showed a blended paint job, and now, what? They just can't be bothered? This project must be costing at least 20 million quid, a flagship coaster not just for Thorpe Park, but for the entire nation, and they can't be arsed to fork out an extra few grand to finish painting it properly? It sucks, man. What else are they gonna skimp on? Wouldn't surprise me if the splashdown effect is the next thing for the chop too.
I can tell you one thing, you can bet your ass Europa Park won't be opening Voltron with a blocky, half arsed paint job.
With a bit of luck, the planning authority might step in and force them to paint it the way the plans first suggested.

Flash Shift

Roller Poster
This bothers me far more than it should do. Early blueprints for the ride clearly showed a blended paint job, and now, what? They just can't be bothered? This project must be costing at least 20 million quid, a flagship coaster not just for Thorpe Park, but for the entire nation, and they can't be arsed to fork out an extra few grand to finish painting it properly? It sucks, man. What else are they gonna skimp on? Wouldn't surprise me if the splashdown effect is the next thing for the chop too.
I can tell you one thing, you can bet your ass Europa Park won't be opening Voltron with a blocky, half arsed paint job.
With a bit of luck, the planning authority might step in and force them to paint it the way the plans first suggested.

Well, this is England after all. Why put any effort into anything when you can just half ass it like how everything else is done in this country?