What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Coop

Roller Poster
Managed a total of 4 rides over the press night and opening day - 2 front row, 1 back row and one in the middle. Absolutely surpassed expectations and serious contender for one of the best first drops in the world.

I think with age I've become less cynical and I can overlook the shortcomings - yes it's short (let's not the beat that dead horse), yes there is not much in the way of theming, but leaving the park today made me realise the UK now has a coaster that left me itching to return ASAP to ride again - UK parks for me are usually a one-and-done a year.

I was a bit dubious of Merlin's "most weightless coaster" tag but honestly I kinda get it, not just another tenuous claim, I think my bum spent more time out my seat than in it.

Really impressed with organisation on opening day too, luckily we had a Hyperia fastrack after spending the night at the Hyperia themed Shark Cabins and managed to swerve the main queue.

Another positive I noticed today was the operations on all the other coasters, especially Nemesis Inferno and Stealth, they were really pushing to get guests on and dispatched on time, whether this is something they newly improved or something I've not noticed in a while but I was super impressed, seems they've taken a leaf out of some European parks book.

All in all a fantastic addition and already itching to get back down to ride it (as much as I dread the M6 from Manchester).IMG-20240524-WA0051.jpg

Last edited:

witchfinder

Giga Poster
Got 2 rides yesterday and only waited just over 2 hours each time as I decided to bide my time and ride everything else in the park first. Operations were great across the park as mentioned above and I waited less than 20 minutes for all the other rides. My first Hyperia ride was at 7pm and my second was at 10:10 on the back row.

I'll just echo what most have said here. It is packed with airtime and huge, unusual elements, and for me it finally dethrones Nemesis as the UK's number one. It's been a long time coming!

To me it didn't feel particularly short. Everything it does is huge and not a metre of track is wasted, except possibly the stupid angled turn out of the station. It did have a bit of a rattle at the back, though I'm told the front was smoother. There was also a worrying grinding sound coming from the train/track as it went through that initial turn out of the station 😬

Thorpe did a great job managing the Hyperia queues and across the park generally yesterday. Heading back today and expecting it to be even busier so we'll see how the park and the ride copes. Overall, not disappointed in any way 🙂

Nitefly

Giga Poster
“Welcome to guest services! How may I help you?”

wMpAW5s.jpeg

spicy

Giga Poster
Damn, going to be a lot of disappointed people getting to Thorpe today.

I just hope it isn’t anything serious to create some prolonged downtime.

StevenX

Mega Poster
That doesn't sound good. I have tickets for Monday - hope it's back up and running then, or it'll be a bit of a wasted trip!

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Good luck to guest services staff today! Unfortunate is a understatement. I hope it’s nothing too serious, but if it is all day, then that is worrying..

Coasterfreck

Hyper Poster
I feel like this should really go into the WTF Merlin thread instead of the Hyperia thread, but on park today, and briefly yesterday, I held fire from riding Hyperia yesterday, as did want to ride it for the first time with my Dad.

Guest services despite the announcement still being closed till 1pm, is probably one of the worst PR moves the park could have made today.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I feel like this should really go into the WTF Merlin thread instead of the Hyperia thread, but on park today, and briefly yesterday, I held fire from riding Hyperia yesterday, as did want to ride it for the first time with my Dad.
Oooof. That's brutal.

Guest services despite the announcement still being closed till 1pm, is probably one of the worst PR moves the park could have made today.
To be fair, they probably need the rest of the morning to bring in the riot police.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
There was a very obvious and quite worrying rubbing sound developing on the station exit lean element, sounded like metal on metal. It was on both trains. Was that concerning that me and some other goons considered reporting it, but we had time for another ride and didn't want them to close it. 😂😂😂

MY review.

Firstly, the organisation was very very good, honestly, after Voltrons opening, to see a UK park smash it out of the park like that was refreshing. The crowds that turned up, for one thing only, could have lead to serious issues, but the planning they put in, and the way they executed it, was fantastic. Massive well done.

We waited 7 hours for our first ride, I **** you not. We got there at 8:45 just after they filled the holding area inside the park, so had to wait in the hold outside security. It was 15:45 when we finally got on. I eventually got 3 rides. one back right seat, which was insane, one row 8, and one row 2. You do not need the back to feel the ejector, which surprised me, you get good airtime towards the front too, in fact, it's less aggressive and smoother at the front, but definitely still there, so some may prefer it. However, at the back is where that ejector becomes world class.

I DO LOVE the area, even more than I did seeing it in pictures. It's not finished, that's no surprise, we all knew that was going to be the case, but it's a lot more 'complete' than I expected, and the general aesthetic of the area is fantastic imo. If this is what stylised means, bring on more stylised coasters! I can definitely see how this is very subjective though.

The station is a bit disappointing, although it looks much better at night with the lighting, projections and smoke effects.

Would I like the ride to be longer? Sure, it's a shame the trim needs to be there to slow the train down. However, did it feel too short? Not at all, it actually feels very satisfying in length. The elements hit so hard, and are each such big moments that by the time you've done them all, you're absolutely satisfied.

That first drop is by far, THE BEST FIRST DROP I've ever experienced in my life. And that's coming straight from riding my previous favourite first drop, Hyperion, the very day before!!! You're thrown out of your seat the entire way down, and then spun around, causing awesome ejector to become even crazier, due to what I like to call 'The Tumble Dryer Effect,' (centrifugal force... Obviously.)

The immelmann is fantastic, looks like you'll only get ejector in the back, but you get some sustained ejector on this element in the front and middle too.

The outer bank is every bit as insane as it looks, I expected it to feel like hang time, but the way it kicks you out the seat whilst you're still fairly upright, then introduces that tumble dryer effect again, makes the whole element feel like some of the longest 'none first drop' ejector I've ever experienced.

Stall is fantastic, it felt like hang time on the first ride, but felt more floaty in the evening. I don't think it's better than Zadra's stall, but it is bloody fantastic still.

The Stengel offers some more very strong ejector, though a much shorter, sharper pop this time, more akin to the kind you find on RMC or intamin.

Much better than Voltron for me... And silky smooth in comparison too... So far at least!

Overall, I'm in love, move over Nemesis, your 30 years was good, you've served us well, but anybody that rides this and still thinks you're the best coaster in the UK is being a sentimental old bar-steward.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Overall, I'm in love, move over Nemesis, your 30 years was good, you've served us well, but anybody that rides this and still thinks you're the best coaster in the UK is being a sentimental old bar-steward.
Well put. After a day or so to reflect, this is exactly my sentiment too.

Great review Nicky - well put.

James F

Hyper Poster
Obviously I have no idea when it comes to structural engineering, but it seems like quite of an oversight if it's already having structural issues.

Hopefully it's much less severe. I'm hearing nothing but good things about the ride experience so I am excited for when I finally get to ride it September!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Obviously I have no idea when it comes to structural engineering, but it seems like quite of an oversight if it's already having structural issues.

Hopefully it's much less severe. I'm hearing nothing but good things about the ride experience so I am excited for September.
If it's what we heard on the lean, it just sounded like something on the track was misaligned and catching something on both trains. If that's the case, it should be easy enough to fix, right?

witchfinder

Giga Poster
They are at least offering a free return visit due to today's issue. Not really much compensation for anyone that travelled a long distance for one thing only 😕

It also means the rest of the park is rammed now. At least the sun's out though!

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Can confirm I also queued 7 hours to ride it yesterday. Arrived at the park gate at 8.20am. Got on the ride at 3.20pm. Main queue the whole way.

Thankfully it was a brilliant ride. The first drop was the highlight – possibly the best first drop on any coaster I've done.

Later in the evening, joined the queue at about 7.50pm and got on at 10:10pm. At night, it was even better.

I'd love to know what's wrong with it today. 😂

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Can confirm I also queued 7 hours to ride it yesterday. Arrived at the park gate at 8.20am. Got on the ride at 3.20pm. Main queue the whole way.

Thankfully it was a brilliant ride. The first drop was the highlight – possibly the best first drop on any coaster I've done.

Later in the evening, joined the queue at about 7.50pm and got on at 10:10pm. At night, it was even better.

I'd love to know what's wrong with it today. 😂
Did you also comment at the time that you'd waited an entire Alton Towers midweek day for one ride? 😂 😂 😂

spicy

Giga Poster

I'd love to know what's wrong with it today.

Doesn’t look good if we look at the facts.

We know it was operating last night past 10pm without issue.

They announced it wouldn’t be opening only half an hour before park opening.

So whatever they have discovered last minute they knew it was severe enough that there was no chance it was opening on a crucial day when they know thousands have travelled to ride it.

Let’s see how it plays out but doesn’t look good.

Callum

Roller Poster
So I went yesterday afternoon, got to the park for 1:30 and managed to get on Hyperia twice and the rest of the park. Easily one of the best days I've had at Thorpe in years, such a great atmosphere even right up until 10:30pm. I'll share my thoughts later on.

I am absolutely gutted for Thorpe to read they can't get it open today. After such a successful opening and running flawlessly pretty much all day yesterday this is a big blow for the park.

I got told by an operator the shutdowns yesterday were mainly issues with the gates which were tripping the ride out, so would be interested to know the issues today.