What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'll echo much of what @JoshC., @Ian and @Chris Brown have said above really. Hyperia is far from perfect (the area, paintjob and station leave a lot to be desired), but as a piece of coaster hardware it is excellent. It's the best coaster in the UK for me (albeit not done Reborn yet).

It's massive, fast and action packed. It's short, but it doesn't feel too stunted by this, and it gave a very different ride in the front versus the back. For me, the back was more intense, but the front infinitely more re-rideable. In the back the first drop is probably one of the best I've done, and I really liked the following three big elements. For me the watersplash and final hills were 'there', but by no means bad.

There is a rattle, but I think that comes with the territory on rides like that - where does the rattle stop and just overall intensity take over? Hyperia is on the limit there - it gave similar feeling to the big RMCs or B&M Gigas - it's definitely not rough, but it has a feeling of intensity to it. Is it the train vibrating, the seats, the wind, the G-forces? It all sorta blends together at 80mph I think. I do hope that it doesn't deteriorate over time.

The event itself could have been a bit slicker and well thought-through, but on the whole it was a great evening.

I'll edit up some photos that will look identical to everyone elses (and worse than Mr Silkstone's) and share those shortly.

Wonder how those who are there today are getting on…?

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
I'm debating when to go, part of me wants to wait until mid/late September time when I guess things will have died down a bit... but I don't know if I'm willing to wait that long. I might bite the bullet and also go sometime in June. I know it's school trip season (Chessington was hell on earth mid June last year) but screw it? Maybe? Someone make a decision for me please 😂

Also, can anyone tell me how quickly fast track actually gets you onto stuff on average? (off peak midweek) I'm very grateful for the RAP system, and usually I'm perfectly fine with the whole being made to sit in the back row thing... but I'd really love to also try front row Hyperia at least once. Any longer than 5-10 minutes and my legs/knees are going to start saying "nah mate we're not having this" 😬

Tconnor

Roller Poster
I'm debating when to go, part of me wants to wait until mid/late September time when I guess things will have died down a bit... but I don't know if I'm willing to wait that long. I might bite the bullet and also go sometime in June. I know it's school trip season (Chessington was hell on earth mid June last year) but screw it? Maybe? Someone make a decision for me please 😂

Also, can anyone tell me how quickly fast track actually gets you onto stuff on average? (off peak midweek) I'm very grateful for the RAP system, and usually I'm perfectly fine with the whole being made to sit in the back row thing... but I'd really love to also try front row Hyperia at least once. Any longer than 5-10 minutes and my legs/knees are going to start saying "nah mate we're not having this" 😬
Planning to go on the 3rd of June with a large-ish group and praying that the crowds will die down with the end of half-term. Will let you know how it goes!

Swat

Hyper Poster
Managed two rides on it, front row and back row out of pure luck. Absolutely insane in the back (back right seat too).

Whipped over the top and out of the seat the whole drop. As a ride, best in the country as an overall package it felt like it was built by a new house builder and hasn’t been snagged.

Matt N

CF Legend
Hearing everyone’s brilliant reviews makes me so excited to ride this!

10th June really can’t come soon enough… even though we’ve been waiting 2.5 years for the thing, an extra 17 days feels like a surprisingly long time!

spicy

Giga Poster
I got here at 08:30 and got on around 3pm, so 6.5 hours of queueing. Worth it 😁.

It's always hard to judge off a single ride of course, but it was everything I had hoped for - smooth, intense, floaty and insane.

6.5 hrs! :oops:

Does that include much downtime or was the queue just that long?

Peet

Giga Poster
6.5 hrs! :oops:

Does that include much downtime or was the queue just that long?
It had multiple periods of downtime but never more than about 10 mins at a time, nothing unexpected for opening day really.

If I had known it would be that long I think I would have given it a miss, but it's done now, got my certificate, so no point complaining 😅.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I just want to say though i dont doubt it is the best in the UK.... The competition it is up against is equally interesting.

A good description I saw is that the ride is kind of like the hypercoaster version of a Premier Sky rocket.... In other words, not actually a bad ride but quite a linear layout and brief.

Matt N

CF Legend
For those interested, I timed Hyperia's throughput this evening at approximately 676pph across an average of 9 readings. Given the theoretical throughput of 1,050pph, this equates to around 64% of the theoretical maximum.

I am a little disappointed by the current throughput readings, but it is only opening day, and these throughputs could speed up once the ride has settled in a bit.

For clarity, I'm not there myself and won't be there until 10th June, but YouTube recommended me an evening queueline live stream from Dean Johnson of ex-TPW fame and thought I'd seize the throughput timing opportunity! I was quite pleased to get 9 consecutive readings, as I did have to rely on Dean panning his camera towards the train as it was negotiating the specific element I was trying to time from... this was easier said than done!

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Managed to get 4 rides on Hyperia today. My initial ride on row 3 was very good but didn't hit as hard as I'd hoped. As expected though; it gets better and better throughout the day. Got lucky with a back row ride in the evening and it was absolutely hauling. There is plenty of airtime throughout the ride, particularly on the first drop and immelman thingy. It's really intense too, with a couple of brief grey out moments. The outerbank is just bonkers, you're out of your seat for the whole thing. Came off that last ride with a minor headache and sore thighs - so it's a winner for me 😍

Still taking it all in tbh so not sure where it ranks. Looking forward to getting on it more in the coming months.

Being a lazy bastard paid off for me. Didn't get there untill 10am and was greeted with a 90 min queue to get through security. But by the time I'd got to the extended queue for Hyperia; they had started letting single riders down the RAP/Fastrack entrance - so I managed to bypass a solid 3-4 hours of cattlepens and straight to the main plaza!

From the Hyperia main entrance, it's roughly an hour for single rider and about 80 mins for the main queue - but obviously this depends on how many Fastrack and RAPs there are. It seems there's nowhere near enough queue line in the ride area, and I think that extended queue is going to be used a hell of a lot this year.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Some photos from the press event last night. Nothing particularly new, and shots that others will no doubt have much better versions of, but I thought I'd share nonetheless. I'd be interested to know your favourites!

iZOlzmQ.jpeg

G6nL2ko.jpeg

8RTIXVS.jpeg

K14AWXj.jpeg

gN0XzXd.jpeg

Y4Qe6cW.jpeg

8cRj3wI.jpeg

gaUVFyP.jpeg

DnvDm3D.jpeg

DrcD2On.jpeg

c95wV8Q.jpeg

5fi9XHR.jpeg

5muxBgm.jpeg

s9g0Z1e.jpeg

And finally, and ORP featuring @Ian, @Chris Brown and myself (back left, back right and front right respectively).

qZPQjSP.jpeg

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
For those interested, I timed Hyperia's throughput this evening at approximately 676pph across an average of 9 readings. Given the theoretical throughput of 1,050pph, this equates to around 64% of the theoretical maximum.
To be simplistic, a cycle every two minutes would be 600pph, so can only assume the ops are pushing closer to a minute and a half. Reaching 1,058 pph means 68 second cycles, which as a reminder includes the intervals between trains in the station. Per your number this would indicate 34 dispatches per hour, or 106 seconds. Nailing that down further is definitely doable with good op training and loose article management.

I have no plans to get over to the UK anytime soon unfortunately, glad to see this open for you all!