Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train (WC16) | Thorpe Park | May 2

That's what I heard. I was shocked too.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Howie

Donkey in a hat

GuyWithAStick said:
This is using the Vive?

Merlin actually did something right for once!

Well.... seeing as we're over a month in and the fecking thing still isn't open yet cos the VR doesn't work.... I'd say no. No, they haven't done something right for once.
Not by a long shot.

Ben

CF Legend

It was announced as Vive from the start get with the program.

I've totally forgotten about this happening tbf. Don't think I've ever been lest bothered by a new Merlin ride.

Lofty

CF Legend

What is Derren Brown's Ghost Train? I'm starting to think it's one of Derren's new tricks and is all just an illusion :lol:

Howie

Donkey in a hat

I'm ready to bin this whole thing as an epic fail. Maybe Merlin's most epic fail to date.
To be fair, I was quite looking forward to it, y'know? I was intrigued and, dare I say it, maybe even a little bit excited to see what they'd come up with.
But I'm so over it. The moment has passed. The bubble has burst. It's just turned into a complete non-event. 35 million quid for a gift shop. Bravo Merlin.

You know what I think?
I think that they've finally put it all together, tried it out and it's just ****. They know it's ****, and all this last minute 'tweaking', as they call it, is just them frantically trying to make it a little bit less ****.
Just my theory.

Robbie

Hyper Poster

If only you could walk into a room and then be hypnotised into thinking you've just been on the greatest ride ever, without the inconvenience of them actually building anything. There's probably "rules" against that though, the damn EU.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

I had a Merlin manager over at my house the other day (not mentioning names) and has been through it with only a few of the things working. He/she said that the he/she didn't have high hopes for this thing, but says it knocked his/her socks off and is actually freaking scary.

I think we're in for something really quite intense here.

On the Vive front. This has been available for about 6 months now in attractions. I played on it at Virtually Dead and they're great. The refresh is spot-on and you can tell just how powerful the device is with what it can handle. Only trouble is for me is the colour tones are a bit too saturated, which makes the entire thing feel a bit fake. Pixels are really accentuated because of this I felt.

Lofty

CF Legend

^ Tell him that his staff's burgers are on point and their table service is impeccable ;)

scw55

Hyper Poster

I'm just waiting. I tried this whole cynicism thing and it does work well for me.
The thing will open. It will be either good or bad. People will remember it or wish to forget it.
I am apathetic regarding this. I will never ride it. However, I will always see opinions of others.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

scw55 said:
I'm just waiting. I tried this whole cynicism thing and it does work well for me.
The thing will open. It will be either good or bad. People will remember it or wish to forget it.
I am apathetic regarding this. I will never ride it. However, I will always see opinions of others.
How do you know you will never ride it? England is an extremely accessible country and Thorpe is right next the Heathrow.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

owentaylor121 said:
scw55 said:
How do you know you will never ride it? England is an extremely accessible country and Thorpe is right next the Heathrow.
I think scw55 was being sarcastic. And next to the Heathrow what? ;)

The whole DBGT has become dopey now. It's evident that they only planned their marketing campaign up to the original opening date, back in early May, because there's been no publicity of substance for over a month now. Apologies that they're fine tuning the ride do not count.

It a pity because it's now when people start planning their summer trips and if there's no indication of an opening date, people won't plan to make a special trip to the park. They'll go to try that VR thing at Alton instead. Actually, it would be interesting to know if they had a spike in visitors in early May when it was originally announced to open.

Although it will hopefully open in the next month, I feel the summer buzz has gone. But that's a good thing. It's a ghost train. Halloween is the next big event after summer. That's the time to really push it. Get everybody in at the end of the season and it'll give the now-tiring Fright Nights a boost. A late opening could actually be the best thing going for the ride and its place in the British theme park goers mindset.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster

Lofty said:
^ Tell him that his staff's burgers are on point and their table service is impeccable ;)

Really, the amount of things you've said like this, and you're gonna call me out?

You know me better than this now, come on...

Lofty

CF Legend

Screaming Coasters said:
Lofty said:

Really, the amount of things you've said like this, and you're gonna call me out?

You know me better than this now, come on...
Erol, it was a joke. Grow the **** up. I get called out for it all the time and don't give a **** because the contacts u have are real and I know it.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster

Are you a guest of Thorpe Park Hotel Resort & Spa? Because the train ride is open!
[tweet]https://twitter.com/stig101566/status/744191504080576512[/tweet]
tweet

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

He never returned... Dun, dun durrrrrrrn...

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend

:lol: - didn't speak to him after yesterday, was busy in the evening. He's signed an NDA apparently, so just gotta wait and see if he lets anything slip (doubt it, he's good with **** like this), so guess we'll just have to wait until someone says something online ha.

Dar

Hyper Poster

There were a few posts about from people that didn't understand the 'N' in NDA. From the sounds of it, it wasn't great and they've been getting poor feedback from guests and staff.

If that's true then it's a shame and could put Merlin off investing in dark rides again after this and Sub-Terra both getting poor feedback.