What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train (WC16) | Thorpe Park | May 2

It's like Clemont from the current Pokemon Anime series named it. Really to the point and quite clunky sounding.

Sandman

Giga Poster

I think it's good. It'll definitely do the job and intrigue potential guests. Well edited to be honest, people underestimate the effort of cutting a sequence down to 30 seconds.

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster

Yeah, now that has to be the best ad Merlin have ever produced. Love it! Must say, i'm impressed with their marketing at the moment. Whilst it's obvious they're waiting the final opening date, I think they have done well filling the gap with the Derren answers your questions videos and the other stuff they've put up on facebook. Certainly is keeping my hype levels up!

davidm

Strata Poster

:-(

[tweet]https://twitter.com/THORPEPARK/status/735137506748997632[/tweet]

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

Why did they even state an opening date in the first place, all what is happening now is the hype is being lost and people's expectations will be higher and higher leading to disappointment. Not like it changes anything for me as I've found this whole ride a waste of space and money from the beginning.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

They should have just got a launched RMC instead...

DelPiero

Strata Poster

I would've much preferred a Hyper/RMC, but I'll support it until I ride it myself, it could be incredible, or it could be total dog poo. Yes the opening not happening yet is annoying but imagine it being a launched RMC which is delayed instead...

JoshC.

Strata Poster

Jamesss said:

That article is a carbon copy of one originally posted by TechRadar: http://www.techradar.com/news/world-of- ... in-1321908

I haven't read the article personally as I'm avoiding all spoilers. But I'm aware TR's article was edited recently as it posted too many spoilers.

Sandman

Giga Poster

Sure, an RMC would of been cool, but to be honest I'm a bit sick of Merlin focusing all their major investment budget on coasters. A dark ride is completely overdue, so regardless of whether it's delayed or not, it shouldn't be discredited.

Ben

CF Legend

Yh this is so much better than an RMC...

I struggle to call it a dark ride, seeing as there is no ride - it's a theatrical, actor and technology led experience.

And those we have had enough of Merlin.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

Merlin don't think long term, will this attraction be able to last 15-20 years like a coaster? I'm doubtful. Just look at Nemesis Sub Terra

Sandman

Giga Poster

Chris Brown said:
How many beers you had Sandman?

No beer, it's just an opinion :wink:

I'd love a good coaster as much as the next person, but Towers/Thorpe have had plenty of chances to knock a good one on the head and we've ended up with a couple of average Gerstlauers, an okay-ish albeit underwhelming family coaster in Thirteen and Swarm, which is probably the most significant coaster the UK has seen in decades.

I just believe that a dark ride (theatrical technology led experience) or whatever you want to call it, diversifies Merlin's portfolio instead of a stream of average coasters. I'd rather see a couple of new flats, dark rides, water rides etc. If I have to wait a bit longer for a decent coaster then so be it. Quality over quantity and all that jazz.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

I see where your coming from Sandman, outside of The Swarm they've kept making less than stellar choices. They need to take a leaf out of American park's book, its always B&M, (good) Intamin and RMC there! Plus the tough height restrictions here are not an excuse for average coasters.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016

Sandman said:
Chris Brown said:

I'd love a good coaster as much as the next person, but Towers/Thorpe have had plenty of chances to knock a good one on the head and we've ended up with a couple of average Gerstlauers, an okay-ish albeit underwhelming family coaster in Thirteen and Swarm, which is probably the most significant coaster the UK has seen in decades.

I just believe that a dark ride (theatrical technology led experience) or whatever you want to call it, diversifies Merlin's portfolio instead of a stream of average coasters. I'd rather see a couple of new flats, dark rides, water rides etc. If I have to wait a bit longer for a decent coaster then so be it. Quality over quantity and all that jazz.

It pains me to say it but you are right. As much as I want as many coasters as possible I'm glad merlin are at least having a go at something new. I'm caught in two minds between wanting this to do really well so Thorpe have more money for a coaster and this doing really **** so they decide to just stick to coasters!

Sandman

Giga Poster

cjbrandy said:
I see where your coming from Sandman, outside of The Swarm they've kept making less than stellar choices. They need to take a leaf out of American park's book, its always B&M, (good) Intamin and RMC there!

Yeah exactly. Of course an RMC would be a fantastic edition to the UK. But, I mean, both parks have invested copius amounts in coasters over the last few years. I think it's fair to say DBGT is something different to that. I have faith in it, even if enthusiasts pull out their pitchforks and demand coasters it's probably the right time to invest in alternative attractions. Saying that, Alton are in dire need of some new flats. Even with SW8 on it's way, I'm still a bit let down by the lack of investment in flat rides.

Ben

CF Legend

But, it's not something new?

It's a theatrical, actor-led experience like, say, Sub Terra or I'm A Celeb or Saw Alive or anything at the Dungeons/Shrek.

If anything in the last five years we've had more of these than we have coasters.

Even the VR aspect isn't new.

Sure it's by far the largest scale they've done this on, but, it's essentially the same thing and will, five years down the line, fail like the rest of them (in a park, the midway attractions are different)

Maybe if it was actually a dark ride I'd agree, but it's not. Even a **** coaster, like say Saw, would have more of a shelf life than this.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster

Chris Brown said:
Sandman said:
Chris Brown said:

It pains me to say it but you are right. As much as I want as many coasters as possible I'm glad merlin are at least having a go at something new. I'm caught in two minds between wanting this to do really well so Thorpe have more money for a coaster and this doing really **** so they decide to just stick to coasters!

I think it would be best if this does well because that would encourage more big spending and next time, they might decide to splash £30 million on a coaster! I think poor performance would just encourage cheap, desperate and gimmicky solutions for quick economic gain.

Sandman

Giga Poster

Ben said:
But, it's not something new?

It's a theatrical, actor-led experience like, say, Sub Terra or I'm A Celeb or Saw Alive or anything at the Dungeons/Shrek.

If anything in the last five years we've had more of these than we have coasters.

Even the VR aspect isn't new.

Sure it's by far the largest scale they've done this on, but, it's essentially the same thing and will, five years down the line, fail like the rest of them (in a park, the midway attractions are different)

I don't really think Sub Terra or I'm a Celeb were major investments in the same vain as DBGT. And of course, the general public are never going to compare the Dungeons or Shrek to this :lol: