What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train (WC16) | Thorpe Park | May 2

Glad to see a prank without the tags [GONE WRONG], [NEW 2016], [POLICE INVOLVED], etc.

I do hope that's part of the experience. I wonder how it'll work out with the VR.

gavin said:
Lofty said:
I am excited to see if it's all part of the experience or merely as a tactical PR stunt.

Seeing as they've clearly paid the Daily Mail to do a "story" about the "hilarious" prank, I think I know the answer...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...demon-unsuspecting-Thorpe-Park-employees.html

Yeah. A lot of the time you can get free editorial if you pay for advertising or have schemes with the papers.

I meant the character to be fair. I hope that if it is in the ride itself, it looks a bit higher quality.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

IIRC, them images of the VR shots did show a creature like that climbing aboard the train.

Why.... Is there a creature?

It's a very nicely made costume, but what does it have to do with Derren Brown?

Joey said:
Why.... Is there a creature?

It's a very nicely made costume, but what does it have to do with Derren Brown?

This was one of my initial reactions. How does it fit in with the Victorian vibe, the tube references, the fracking posters, etc etc?

But then I had it pointed out that this is still a (reinvention of the) Ghost Train. So we should still expect there to be ghosts / ghouls / demons / creatures there. Of course the ride is more advanced, but I guess we should still expect some sort of Ghost Train clichés, like scary things jumping out at you, along the way?

Still doesn't ease my main concern about how this will all fit together. Even for the length of the experience, there seems to be a lot going which needs to be coherently tied together, and it's not going to be easy.

That's a good point Josh, maybe this is supposed to be Brown transforming an old train INTO a ghost train by using mind control of the passengers (us)?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

^ Maybe!

But unfortunately you'll have to wait a while longer to find out.

It has been delayed. Come on, don't tell me you didn't expect that? So it's no longer opening on 6th May and no new date has been set.

Gonna giggle if it's "delayed" to Friday 13th!

I must admit it seemed kinda obvious it would get delayed with the train still being outside in tarp. Honestly I think Thorpe have done the right thing. It's really reassuring to see them delay it rather than open it completely unfinished *cough* Big Top *cough*. But yeah I just wish luck to everyone working on their social media and customer service lines.

This has appeared in the dome today-

13120767_10154123721421944_1989150336_o.jpg.59f17f38b6e50ac62b2bde71f6c560f6.jpg

Credit to Thorpe Park Mania

The wet floor sign right in the middle made me laugh.

When I did my VIP Behind The Scenes Tour of Saw on Wednesday we were talking about The Ghost Train, the only reason it is delayed is because they want a full experience as their final product. As I said I'd much rather have a finished product then no product at all.

jj23w said:
the only reason it is delayed is because they want a full experience as their final product
In other words "it's not finished!" ;)

Robbie said:
jj23w said:
the only reason it is delayed is because they want a full experience as their final product
In other words "it's not finished!" ;)
:lol:

Of course they want a full product to launch with. The fact they need to tell people that is hilarious. They're not Hansa…

Oh my god Lofty, loving the shade!

Ha in all seriousness though, I still stand by the opinion that Merlin are doing nothing wrong in delaying this attraction. It sounds like one of their contractors was behind on the work, and rather than choose to open it unfinished and face criticism like they did with the big top, they're choosing to wait and open it complete. I am seriously impressed that they're learning from past mistakes.

Oh and also just to add, there's images of the safety board appearing around the internet. Thorpe Park Mania have a pretty clear image on their forums. Basic information: 1.4m height restriction, 13+ age suggestion, live actors who may touch you, illusions and trickery are rife and people who are claustrophobic or afraid of heights shouldn't ride.

Sounds pretty interesting!

silenthillXD said:
claustrophobic or afraid of heights shouldn't ride.

Sounds pretty interesting!

This makes me thinking of mineshaft type experience. I can't think of any other examples where claustrophobia and vertigo meet. Unless there are transitioning elements that change the environment "physically".

It looks as if you board the suspended train.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoasterForce/status/728182387406983169[/tweet]
Tweet

Yeah, you board the suspensed train.

I wish I could work out how it's suspended, I am literally, stunned.

He said.

Sarcastically.